Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I’m new to Jeep and have been reading this forum for about 6 months. I just wanted to check in to say hi and thanks for all the good information.

The first issue you helped me with on my low mileage, 2WD 2017 Sport was a mystery coolant leak that I couldn’t see but could smell. It turned out to be the secondary seal on my 5 year old radiator cap. The next issue was a tire puncture in a stock LS2 on my very first off-road adventure. I off-road in some remote and rugged terrain and limping to a tire shop on that donut spare did not make me happy. I hate donut spares. After a bit of research I decided on a set of General Grabber A/TX tires (215/65R16) and a plug kit. I’ve always carried an air compressor but had never carried a plug kit before because I always had a full size spare (Had an 01 Tacoma/PreRunner/TRD for 20 years). These new LT? tires seem indestructible so I should be ready for just about anything. I recently bought a new smaller air compressor (Pittsburg 100 PSI High Volume) that fits under the Patriots front driver seat and works really well. Project Farm gave it a good review. I also have a GOOLOO 4000A GP4000 jump starter (Project Farm reviewed) under the front passenger seat and it also fits well between the air vent and the door sill.

I considered bigger tires but I was staying with the heavy steelies, not adding a lift, and I thought the extra 5 pounds of unsprung weight at each corner from the beefier tires was enough of a penalty…although every time I see a nice Patriot with bigger tires I rethink that decision. :) The new tires perform amazing in the dirt when aired down and with traction control off and their stockish size leaves me plenty of room for wheel articulation.

I do have one question. I have the cold start, top end noise that disappears after a few seconds once the oil pressure comes up which seems to be a common VVT thing. While the noise doesn’t worry me, I think I’ll try going back to an old school mineral oil for my next oil change as an experiment. I’d like to see if the mineral oil clings better so that there is a little more oil up top at first start in the morning. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!
Don't think I've seen anyone post about running mineral oil
Mineral oil is just another way of saying conventional, non-synthetic motor oil. I’ve always thought of synthetic motor oil as a free flowing oil which seems like it would be the opposite of a clingy oil. This probably doesn’t matter, conventional mineral oil is getting hard to find and synthetic has so many other benefits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI Update: At my next oil change I switched to a name brand oil that specifically stated on the bottle that it met the Chrysler MS-6395 certification and 90% of my cold start VVT noise went away. Live and learn. I had been putting the cheapest generic oil I could find in my 20 year old pickup and continued that practice with my new Patriot. I didn’t stop to consider the needs of the VVT. Because of the VVT’s tiny oil passages, oil flow control valves, and cam phaser inlet screens (fine mesh) I will be using the proper oil from now on and changing it regularly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts