Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anybody know the socket to use to turn the motor by hand. 1316 suck it doesn't fit. Need to know so I could buy the right size

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
Sorry man, just looked around but can't find the crank bolt size.

If it makes you feel any better I submarined my WJ today in pond whilst out wheelin.

It was literally up to my ankles inside the Jeep.

Finally got her out with the help of my buddy's CJ7 but busted his bumper doing it.

Shoot gotta get out in the garage and wet vac that thing before I go to bed.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Sorry man, just looked around but can't find the crank bolt size.

If it makes you feel any better I submarined my WJ today in pond whilst out wheelin.

It was literally up to my ankles inside the Jeep.

Finally got her out with the help of my buddy's CJ7 but busted his bumper doing it.

Shoot gotta get out in the garage and wet vac that thing before I go to bed.
Dang... What's up with everyone having such bad luck? Did you flood your engine or just the cabin?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sarter first, check battery charge

ok spark plugs out and turned the motor and nothing. just smoke and smells like something is burning. does click. just no turn over. how can I turn the motor bye hand. to see if it will move.
Since you have the plugs out use the starter to turn over. By now, depending on how many times you attempted it, the battery may not be delivering enough juice to the starter to turn it over. Confirm the starter is working properly by pulling it and have it bench tested. The starter was way below your high water mark. Pull the battery and check for a full charge. Once both are done, re-install and without the plugs turn it over and look for water. By now the oil should have been changed and look for water in the oil which may look milky. After you are reasonably sure no more water is in the cylinder, replace the plugs and fire it up. Cross your fingers first. Let it run a few minutes and then change the oil again. If it works remember it is after all, a land vehicle and not a amphibious boat. Happy turkey day! Chief.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Did ya fill the gas tank with water ? I did years ago in one of my CJ's I was in a river using my Jeep has a diving platform and I went in the river with a 1/4 of a tank of gas and pulled out with 3/4 of a tank. Water is not always a good thing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
update. had it towed to dealer on Nov 26th. motor was hydro locked. called my insurance and made a claim. got my jeep fixed and got it back Friday 13. new block and heads about $6,500 with my $100 deductible. guy at dealer said not that much water got in the intake, and no water in the oil. will be looking into a snorkel. amazon has one for 84-95 Jeep Cherokee. might try and rig it up.

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
update. had it towed to dealer on Nov 26th. motor was hydro locked. called my insurance and made a claim. got my jeep fixed and got it back Friday 13. new block and heads about $6,500 with my $100 deductible. guy at dealer said not that much water got in the intake, and no water in the oil. will be looking into a snorkel. amazon has one for 84-95 Jeep Cherokee. might try and rig it up.
Whoa! Pretty intense but awesome they swapped out the motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OOPS...just caught up...good deal glad it got fixed :banana::pepper:

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
I always try to go out with a wrangler, and let them go in front of me... that way I can judge. if I don't have a wrangler, I get out and walk, and if need be, use a stick to test it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Dude. You did $6500 worth of damage to the vehicle and you are going back out with it? Good luck getting insurance to pay for it if you do it again. ;)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This almost happened to me, I had some water coming over the hood! Luckly it was only for a second and I had enough momentum to get me through the pond. It almost died but didn't after I got it out of the water.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I insurance wont pay for it again thats why im going to rig up a snorkel. Better safe then sorry. Love to go out 4wheeling. But next time ill b ready

Insurance has you flagged now and they won't cover any damage you do off road. Count on that.

I have nothing against going off road but it seems to me doing it with a new vehicle like this just doesn't make sense. Go buy a $500 beater and take that off road.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
to reduce risk of water in intake i use the removeable silicone caulk on the seals'
i also seal things like fuse box and especially relay box.

applies like regular silicone but comes off easily when need to change filter and such
i also block the intake with material from a household airfilter,
kind used in furnace/central air, acts a a prefilter,

Product Description:
Removable weatherstrip caulk is formulated for use as a seasonal weatherstripping. Provides a watertight, weatherproof, and fast drying seal against air and moisture. Apply to drafty windows and seasonally used doors. For interior or exterior use. Easily peels away from surface at end of the season. Adheres to glass, plastic, ceramics, aluminum, wood, fiberglass, drywall, concrete, vinyl, and painted surfaces. Other uses include: vents and fans, louvers, air conditioners, and more. Color: Clear. 10.1 fl. oz. cartridge.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Insurance has you flagged now and they won't cover any damage you do off road. Count on that.

I have nothing against going off road but it seems to me doing it with a new vehicle like this just doesn't make sense. Go buy a $500 beater and take that off road.
I know that my insurance wont pay for it again but it happened in town. And i love to go off road and get away for the day.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts