Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got stuck in mud hole and wont start :doh:. was in the water for about 15-30mins. had to clime out the window so water wouldn't got in. motor died in water. wouldn't start in water and got pulled out. then click click click no start. but clicks like dead battery. had it towed home. waiting for it to dry and then will try to start it. what you think. could only see about 2-3inch of front tires. o and FD2. but had a good lough and had fun. :banana:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Might be liquid locked... it sucked some water in the cylinders. Take the plugs out before you turn it over again. With the plugs out you can crack it and the water will come out from the spark pug holes.

Hopefully nothing got damaged but, I have seen more than one engine damaged from this.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
check your relays,
located behind front bumper on drivers side
right around water level you mentioned, 2-3" below top of tire

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be liquid locked... it sucked some water in the cylinders. Take the plugs out before you turn it over again. With the plugs out you can crack it and the water will come out from the spark pug holes.

Hopefully nothing got damaged but, I have seen more than one engine damaged from this.
I'm really hoping thats its just some wires that are wet. Going to let it sit overnight and tomorrow I'll dig into it. Might even change oil while I'm at it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of hydrolocking the engine.

Not only do you need to get the water out( pull the plugs as said )but DEFINITELY do an oil change. Not " I might" - DO IT.

Also, after sitting in the water for so long you should also change, or at the minimum inspect, the trans, PTU, and RDA fluid.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Starter Motor should be tested

Hello, If $ available, call your buddy the mechanic willing to work in your driveway. If not, determine how high the water level was. Was it above the starter motor? Pull the starter and have it bench tested at the auto parts store for free. Did it wet the alternator? The battery should be fine. Before attempting to start, change the oil and filter. Maybe change the coolant if contamination suspected. Dry everything using a hair dryer. I'm not a mechanic so take this advice with caution. Here in South Florida we have frequent flooding mixed with salt water and the results are usually terminal. Be careful, do everything you can before attempting to start. Best wishes. Think positive. Chief

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok spark plugs out and turned the motor and nothing. just smoke and smells like something is burning. does click. just no turn over. how can I turn the motor bye hand. to see if it will move.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok up date. got some water out. but still just 1 click then a wind sound like electric charge. kind of like a video game gun sound. just be for its ready to fire

·
Banned
586 Posts
Solenoid sounds like its spinning not hitting the flywheel. Not beating you up man but I am paying on my loan for next five years and this car isn't going to see any kind of hard action until its paid off.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
And Insurance will just chuckle if you try to file a claim..

Not allways.... Lets just say "a guy i know" ;) hydro-locked an almost brand new GM Holden SS-V V8 with only 20,000kms on it after driving into some deep water and sucked up water through the after-market cold-air-intake pod "he" had down low, forgetting it was there, and blew a 2 inch hole right out of the block!

Insurance paid the entire $13,500 cost of a new 6.0 Litre V8 brand new engine to be shipped from Mexico to Australia, and re-installed, drove out of the dealership like it was brand new again.

My advice, its all in "WHAT you TELL" the insurance company of "HOW" it happened that can make a massive difference. ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solenoid sounds like its spinning not hitting the flywheel. Not beating you up man but I am paying on my loan for next five years and this car isn't going to see any kind of hard action until its paid off.
I'll see if its that . First and find where the starter is. I can go to autozone just buy a book. I just have to splurge and get the 1 year scripture in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 48 Posts