Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked these up in Portland, OR - the land of no sales tax. $125 USD each plus $80 installation for 5 tires. Compared to Canadian pricing, I saved a pile of money, even after factoring in the few tanks of gas to get to Portland.

They are 235/70-16 General Grabber AT2's, fitted to Cragar Soft 8 16" X 8" rims with 5X4.5" lug nut spacing and 5" backspacing. I bought the rims used for $175 CAD in Vancouver and painted them with 3 coats of black gloss Tremclad and 2 coats of clear Tremclad.

I was a little worried about going with 8" wide instead of the proven 7" wide Soft 8's, but as you can see, the 29.2" tire just barely touches the plastic bump on the pinch weld. No need for any modifications to the wheel wells (yes, I have the RRO lift installed).

There's lot's of clearance to the spring catch. This was the biggest reason I didn't go with the 245/70 size. The engineer in me tells me to keep clearance here.

The tires do pick up the dirt and throw it, but I was really impressed with how the treads clear themselves instantly. With the SR/A's, as soon as I got on the road, they were flinging dirt off the tires for half a kilometer. These Grabbers didn't fling any dirt that was clinging to them when I got back on the road.

The overall stance is definitely improved. The rims and tires are quite heavy compared to the stock 17" alloys. I've noticed a longer stopping distance, so will definitely adjust my driving accordingly. Each tire is speced at 36 lbs and the rims are 37 lbs each. meh, I've got a Pontiac Vibe if I want excellent milage.

Of course, I had to get a similar sized spare. I really believe you'll mess up the drivetrain if you drive oversized tires with an undersized spare. Your choice though. I'm not going to try to prove it. The spare will either be on the roof, or in the trunk. It does not fit in the spare cubby hole under the trunk.

On the road, these tires did exactly what I wanted. The Jeep no longer feels every bone jarring bump in the road. The additional sidewall gives extra air cushioning. I can't wait to go hit up some logging roads!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Great tires,
Have the grabbers on the liberty,
Love them,
would get them on my pat but i have the 17" rims
sizing for the 17" is difficult, limited to basics,

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
Looks real good Heckler.
I can't wait till my SR/A's are worn so that I can justify some new tires.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only lousy part is that my TPMS didn't get transferred to the new wheels. Either Jeep or my dealer (so far un-named) installed metal valve caps that have corroded. The tire installer broke one of them off, and we decided not to break the other two that were also corroded.

I'll be going to the dealer and asking them to remove the other two valve caps and hopefully replace the broken sensor. My fourth sensor already has a plastic cap from a tire repair last summer.

If you have these valve caps, take them off! Replace them with properly speced TPMS valve caps, that have a seal and are plastic.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't wait till my SR/A's are worn so that I can justify some new tires.

28,000 km on the SR/A's, only about half to two thirds worn, but I got tired of fixing flat tires. I'll probably sell them with the wheels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WOW,,,nice tire and wheel.
love them
and yes the big tire makes a big différence.
Me to it's change my braking distance.
But i like the way the jeep handle now.

i really think i should install the lift kit.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
had metal caps once

The only lousy part is that my TPMS didn't get transferred to the new wheels. Either Jeep or my dealer (so far un-named) installed metal valve caps that have corroded. The tire installer broke one of them off, and we decided not to break the other two that were also corroded.

I'll be going to the dealer and asking them to remove the other two valve caps and hopefully replace the broken sensor. My fourth sensor already has a plastic cap from a tire repair last summer.

If you have these valve caps, take them off! Replace them with properly speced TPMS valve caps, that have a seal and are plastic.

Never again,
metal corrodes and causes damage when trying to take them off
thought i was sharp looking, matching caps to the paint
, never again
only plastic caps for me

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving on the I-5 through Portland and Seattle, I couldn't believe how loud the road was, but it turns out the noise is from the rough stony pavement they use down there. Once I got onto smooth Vancouver ashphalt, the tires were humming nicely, but not overly loud.

We drove through heavy rain with big puddles on the road doing 55 to 60 mph, and the tires tracked perfectly through the deep (< 1") water on the highway.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really think i should install the lift kit.

You won't regret it.

I thought I had a drivetrain problem due to the lift. When driving away from a stop, the steering wheel had a vibration that went away at speed.

With newly balanced tires, the vibration is 100% gone away. I must have torn off a wheel weight or two from the stockers during the winter that caused my wheels to be imbalanced.

I also checked the suspension when it was on the hoist. Everything is still tight after 15,000 km on the RRO lift.

·
Registered
100 Posts
yes ,a local shop whant's 750,00$ can for the lift kit,install and whit the alignement.
i really think i should do it.

i whait for my tax return.......

·
Registered
47 Posts
That looks hawt.

Now if the bloody insurance guy would cut us our cheque so I can go get my green one.

So your concern about rain with that tread pattern? No issues?

·
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
1,060 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this. I will be going with the Grabber AT2 215/70/R16 on Cragar Quick Trick I 16x7 rims. I had orginally wanted the 235's like yours but I didn't want any rub and I don't know if that's something the RRO cures.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where do yours rub phatdilf? I wonder if it's the difference in rims backspacing. My 5" BS is the same as the factory 17"s, but the factory 16"s have less BS.

my left front just barely touches the plastic bump on the rear, but if you push on the plastic, there's a 1/4" of movement in the plastic. The driver side has clearance and doesn't touch plastic anywhere.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm interested in getting these tires after mine wear out soon, love the look, great choice heckler. Do they clean out well in the mud?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
heckler your jeep is looking like i want mine to look.:smiley_thumbs_up: I just need the roof rack and spare up on it now. Not to forget the lift. Man it sucks not to have a job... I have all the time i need to work on the jeep, but no money.:doh:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts