Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2014 latitude, and noticed that the gear shifter light wasn’t illuminated last night..does anyone know if this bulb can be replaced? I hit a couple places around it to try and get it to work (after hours of googling, I only found that..),but didn’t work for me. I opened it up last night, and from what it looked like to me, the entire gear shift assembly has to be replaced, but I’m hoping I’m wrong. Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Trying to avoid the dealer entirely.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so so so so much!!! It wouldn’t happen to say the bulb type or part number, would it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for. Thank you so much! Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I learned some valuable information that I figured I'd share because someday someone is going to Google this. The gear shifter bulb is not sold ANYWHERE as just a bulb. No autopart stores, and the dealership doesn't even carry it. They stated I needed an entire new assembly. I did some research...It is a Toshiba TSD74 bulb. However, it's only sold as part of a socket (Toshiba V-2 black T5 socket TSD 74 bulb / 1.4W). The bulb comes out of the socket easily, and you can replace the gear shift light easily! I bought some off ebay (lot of 4 for $10..I was desperate), and now I'm glowing again.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like this has been resolved, but I just saw this thread and thought I'd add a little more info. A few months ago, I was making a modification that required removing the shifter bezel on my 2007 Patriot and noticed this bulb had burned out at some point, as well. There were no markings on the bulb, but in searching for a replacement, I discovered that it appears to be pretty similar (if not identical) to bulb type 2721... Sylvania has a 2-pack of them at most auto parts stores for $5-7. I installed a bulb, and it's been working fine ever since.

I'm not sure if all later Patriot models use the same type of bulb, so YMMV. I also can't guarantee any per-unit cost savings over eBay or other online vendors, but this is probably a faster/easier route than tracking down a full socket assembly and/or waiting for shipping. Of course, you're also fine just leaving it burned out... I didn't even notice when mine went out and completely forgot that it was ever illuminated until I opened the shifter bezel.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you out, Ksmith20, but I hope this helps anyone else who might need it down the road!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried 3 different Sylvania bulbs, but all were too big. Even the dealership didn’t carry it and told me the entire assembly needed to be changed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's very possible the 2014 uses a different bulb/socket configuration than the 2007, so it wouldn't surprise me if the same bulb type (2721) doesn't fit all models. I'm not even entirely sure it's supposed to work on my 2007 (the base was the same, but the bulb did seem ever-so-slightly bigger than the stock bulb), but so far, so good. Either way, between the two of us, I think we've probably got a working solution for just about anyone who might be searching for this solution in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts