Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2010 Patriot and the gate sensor came on one day. The mechanic disconnected the sensor but then my interior lights never worked again.
Now I have a 2016 Patriot that I bought this past October. 4 months after owning it we closed the gate and the notification showed up on my dash. Clearly it's a Patriot issue but I don't want to simply disconnect the wiring. I want it to work as it's intended.
Everything I'm reading though from the threads is to disconnect it.
Has anyone had it fixed properly?

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's a sad response. Front driver doors are notioius for this on Ford products. We tell each other, "spray the door latch with wd 40 and slam the door shut 10-15 times to free up the switch."
As a the strike in the door has a ball switch actuated by the latch.

The same could work if the mechanism is similar.

I would think the proper fix is to replace the switch if the cost isn't too steep.

This looks all inclusive.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. I wasn't impressed that the mechanic said that. My first Patriot was old so I didn't care as much but this ones only a few years old and this gate sensor goes so clearly it's an issue with the Patriot but it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 2014 Ford edge and would be livid if mechanic gave me that as an answer as well. It maybe a $100 part or you can tear down the old one or try freeing it up.

2016 is only 6 model years..it's Too new for this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
I don't think this is a Patriot issue. I've got 13 years of Patriot ownership and racked up 425,000 miles. I never had your problem. I would think a Jeep dealer could fix this. Dealerships run a little more expensive, but for electrical problems they are well worth it. A dealership has far more experience with one brand that they see all day every day. A local mechanic is looking at all makes and models and some of them are Jeeps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
$97.33 + Shipping?

....or

....eBay, Mopar Authorized Dealer in Orange County, Florida

$94.37 w/ free shipping, 2-year Chrysler warranty, 30-day returns, eBay Money-Back Guarantee

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a 2010 Patriot and the gate sensor came on one day. The mechanic disconnected the sensor but then my interior lights never worked again.
Now I have a 2016 Patriot that I bought this past October. 4 months after owning it we closed the gate and the notification showed up on my dash. Clearly it's a Patriot issue but I don't want to simply disconnect the wiring. I want it to work as it's intended.
Everything I'm reading though from the threads is to disconnect it.
Has anyone had it fixed properly?
Yikes, you bought a 2nd Patriot. Well this I know. If you do live in the ''Rust-Belt States'' the Jeep Lines have pretty crappy wiring that corrode so darn easy that they can keep you screaming at your vehicle. This 2010 Patriot has been driven about 2k km over the past 18 months. It's a backup vehicle for anyone of the family whose daily driver is in getting repaired. As for me, I'm driving a 1993 Jeep Cherokee...... 8-10 fault codes & probably 10 sensors on the entire vehicle.... Which works for me......

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Yikes, you bought a 2nd Patriot . . .
I also bought a 2nd Patriot. We liked our 2008 Patriot so much we got another in 2014. I sold the first one at 280,000 miles to a friend. He's gotten a couple more years out of it. It's now past 300,000 and has developed a rust problem but at that age and with those miles it's got to be expected.

Wife took the 2014 to work this morning. Got about 160,000 miles on it now. Only repair was a front axle bearing. Probably will need brakes before October inspection. Frankly it seem tighter than our 2019 Compass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also bought a 2nd Patriot. We liked our 2008 Patriot so much we got another in 2014. I sold the first one at 280,000 miles to a friend. He's gotten a couple more years out of it. It's now past 300,000 and has developed a rust problem but at that age and with those miles it's got to be expected.

Wife took the 2014 to work this morning. Got about 160,000 miles on it now. Only repair was a front axle bearing. Probably will need brakes before October inspection. Frankly it seem tighter than our 2019 Compass.
Ya know, my 2010 rides so nice and it gets like 24-30mpg. It's just the cheap electronics and cheaper wiring and living in the rust belt, these Jeeps just suck. There's some terrible engineering on the Jeep Lines since the Chrysler Corp owners are from Europe with a bad track record for junk engineering. It's not the 1990's anymore.... Just my opinion. Glad you got a couple good rides. Hopefully your new one doesn't end up costing an average of $4k per year to own, like a lot of Patriot & Compass owners spend....

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Ya know, my 2010 rides so nice and it gets like 24-30mpg. It's just the cheap electronics and cheaper wiring and living in the rust belt, these Jeeps just suck. There's some terrible engineering on the Jeep Lines since the Chrysler Corp owners are from Europe with a bad track record for junk engineering. It's not the 1990's anymore.... Just my opinion. Glad you got a couple good rides. Hopefully your new one doesn't end up costing an average of $4k per year to own, like a lot of Patriot & Compass owners spend....
My transmission was replaced twice under warranty. Aside from that I didn't have any major repairs until 210,000 miles when the wiring harness got corroded down below the battery. I'm guessing being that far down it may have suffered from exposure. That was $1000, plus I blew the alternator and wrecked the original battery before I got the problem solved. My rationale for putting that kind of money into it with those miles was that I hadn't put a dime into it to that point.

I didn't have the usual front end problems -- surprising since there are a lot of frost heaves around here. I think the front axle bearings were replaced. Original throttle body failed at 275,000 miles. The water pump happened, too.

So far my 2014 has only needed an axle bearing (160,000 miles.

Of our three in the stable right now (2019 Compass, 2021 Wrangler, 2014 Patriot), the Patriot is my favorite. It's FWD, 2.0, 5-spd manual, and no options -- glorious in it's simplicity. (y) The Compass is really a car and when I get in the Wrangler I feel like I'm putting it on -- for a big vehicle it makes me feel very cramped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My transmission was replaced twice under warranty. Aside from that I didn't have any major repairs until 210,000 miles when the wiring harness got corroded down below the battery. I'm guessing being that far down it may have suffered from exposure. That was $1000, plus I blew the alternator and wrecked the original battery before I got the problem solved. My rationale for putting that kind of money into it with those miles was that I hadn't put a dime into it to that point.

I didn't have the usual front end problems -- surprising since there are a lot of frost heaves around here. I think the front axle bearings were replaced. Original throttle body failed at 275,000 miles. The water pump happened, too.

So far my 2014 has only needed an axle bearing (160,000 miles.

Of our three in the stable right now (2019 Compass, 2021 Wrangler, 2014 Patriot), the Patriot is my favorite. It's FWD, 2.0, 5-spd manual, and no options -- glorious in it's simplicity. (y) The Compass is really a car and when I get in the Wrangler I feel like I'm putting it on -- for a big vehicle it makes me feel very cramped.
See yes that's one of the things I actually meant. Folks that bought used vehicles with all kinds of warrany work performed but a lot of them had to have transmissions repaired or replaced sometimes every year. The wiring harness you paid a $1,000 for. Most of these Patriots from 2008 on are going to need probably more than 1 harness replaced because of the corrosion issue. That's the problem Most folks paid a lot of bucks for these vehicles because they were riding on the reputation on Jeep's made during the 1990's & early 2000's. All the Jeep lines have the same cheap wiring, plus the poor engineering like putting wiring harnesses where they'll go out prematurely. With a lot of folks, they usually can't afford to fump their Jeeps and buy new. So they have no choice but to take out charge cards and have transmissions replaced/repaired and God forbid they start having wiring issues because the false error codes that show up in the computer can be from a ground wire corroded but take it into a shop and $2,000 later, after they replaced all the sensors that faults said were bad and bam, two weeks later they're back at the same point they were before. lol the Jeeps they bought are preventing them from being able to sell them to just help pay what's owed on them, let alone they'll need something to put down on a different vehicle. I'm going by Jeep Patriot owners who tell me what their Jeeps been costing them each year.. So sad man, and again, that's why mine is parked for emergency use & I drive a Cherokee. I'll stick with 17.5mpg instead of 24mpg and with all 10 error codes mine holds, instead of 200.... I'm just sayin, 2 transmissions & $1,000 wiring harness. Look at it from Tom & Mary used Jeep owners point of view. That would have cost them more like $10,000, so whoops, there went their down payment for something more reliable. I stand by what I've always said, These Jeeps are not like the ones from the 1990's. Engineering issues & poor quality parts, The New Chrysler Corporation........

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
The OP had a problem with the "Gate Ajar" warning. Electrical issue? Yes. However, I suppose commiseration and cynicism don't really answer the question. A more helpful answer would be, "I've had that problem and here's how I solved it . . . " However, I can't give that answer.

Back to the topic. I think a dealer is the best route for handling electrical problems.
  • They are familiar with Jeeps because that's all they see; independent shops divide their time between Jeeps and every other make as well.
  • Dealers have access the entire dealer network and service bulletins from the corp.
  • They are aware of star cases or can make it one and that helps everyone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The OP had a problem with the "Gate Ajar" warning. Electrical issue? Yes. However, I suppose commiseration and cynicism don't really answer the question. A more helpful answer would be, "I've had that problem and here's how I solved it . . . " However, I can't give that answer.

Back to the topic. I think a dealer is the best route for handling electrical problems.
  • They are familiar with Jeeps because that's all they see; independent shops divide their time between Jeeps and every other make as well.
  • Dealers have access the entire dealer network and service bulletins from the corp.
  • They are aware of star cases or can make it one and that helps everyone.
Oh yes I did change topics. That's what I get for having two differnt emails from the forum. Evedentally I didn't pay close enough attention to the email when I went to the Jeep Patriot forum Tab I already had opened in my browser...

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Oh yes I did change topics. That's what I get for having two differnt emails from the forum. Evedentally I didn't pay close enough attention to the email when I went to the Jeep Patriot forum Tab I already had opened in my browser...
Yeah, I do that sometimes, too. I'm also on the Compass site and sometimes I forget which site I'm on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts