Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I am at WITS END!
I purchased my sweet little lemon (2007) in August 2019. Had loads of trouble. We tried to start out by addressing what seemed simplest... the P0456, P0457 in conjunction with the GASCAP prompt. Replaced the gas cap. Then another. Then another. Then an OEM one. No such luck. Smoke tests and pressure tests revealed nothing. Replaced the evap canister. Nothing. We ended up replacing the computer module which fixed much but no such luck with the evap issue.
This winter my rollover valve went bad. Yay! My sweet dad put in a new gastank for me. No problems for a few weeks. Took it over a hundred miles. Road trip! On my way to class after break, that ding that haunted me so long returned! And with a VENGEANCE! Before, I could clear the code and it would disappear for days or weeks and after replacing the module for a few months it was gone. It came back a couple times very rarely with the bad rollover valve. Now it returns after four miles or so. I don’t even bother clearing it now.
Should I take a look at my evap canister or evap canister filter? I heard fuel could dump into it with a bad rollover valve but this check engine light is like none I’ve had before. Filler neck isn’t rusty. Maybe try resetting the battery?
Me and my dad are losing it. Please help us!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
338 Posts
First off, make sure that you don't try to fill the tank more after the pump shuts off automatically as this can cause problems.

Secondly, look at the filler tube where the gas cap sits to inspect for erosion or debris that will prevent the gas cap from sealing.

Thirdly, some leaks are only leaking when in motion and smoke machines might miss them. You should be looking for a hose that might have a small crack or the end that connects to the fitting is loose or damaged. You will need to physically move around the hoses.

I'm assuming that you took it to a competent mechanic who checked the valves already and not just the canister and smoke machine?

·
Administrator
7,224 Posts
Along with rust, nicks in the filler neck can cause problems so make sure the filler neck is smooth. You can also apply a small amount of vaseline on the cap gasket to ensure a seal.

Additionally, check the wiring/connection on the connector that plugs in to the ESIM (Evaporation System Integrity Monitor), a broken/intermittent connection here can in fact cause the Gascap error and the codes you are seeing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you able to fix this issue???
I have the same issue, I replaced the evap canister = nothing, replaced the gascap = nothing, cleaned the filler tube where the gascap seats =nothing, put some vaseline on the gascap = nothing...I'm going to smoke machine test it next, hopefully this will point me to what is wrong. I also saw that a gas tank nipple may fracture and cause this.

·
Administrator
7,224 Posts
You may have a loose or broken/cracked hose somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I got my problem fixed. We smoked tested the vehicle and found a very small leak on the intake gasket, we replaced it and it fixed the "gascap" message and the check engine light. I've driven my Patriot for 3 days, about 50 miles...Hope this helps to anyone with that issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were you able to fix this issue???
I have the same issue, I replaced the evap canister = nothing, replaced the gascap = nothing, cleaned the filler tube where the gascap seats =nothing, put some vaseline on the gascap = nothing...I'm going to smoke machine test it next, hopefully this will point me to what is wrong. I also saw that a gas tank nipple may fracture and cause this.
No luck. Changed evap cannister filter recently, and changed the filler neck out last night, P0457 came back this morning after deletion yesterday. Going to try driving it another week which should get me to ~100 miles to see if that clears it. Not super hopeful. We’ve changed everything in the evap system, no luck. Gas cap prompt still comes back on immediately and P0456 and P0457 though not always both just one or the other. We’ll take a look at the intake gasket but after the mechanic and my dad smoke tested it on separate occasions no leaks were found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No luck. Changed evap cannister filter recently, and changed the filler neck out last night, P0457 came back this morning after deletion yesterday. Going to try driving it another week which should get me to ~100 miles to see if that clears it. Not super hopeful. We’ve changed everything in the evap system, no luck. Gas cap prompt still comes back on immediately and P0456 and P0457 though not always both just one or the other. We’ll take a look at the intake gasket but after the mechanic and my dad smoke tested it on separate occasions no leaks were found.
So what did you end up finding? Same issue here and at the very beginning of troublshooting. Tried grease on gas cap ring, tried new gas cap, too a look at the evap canister and the tube that comes off that goes to the filter (I think..or is that from the gas tank?) - seems fine, pulled of the plug that has the purple wire at the evap canister, not corrosion. Thats about where I am now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what did you end up finding? Same issue here and at the very beginning of troublshooting. Tried grease on gas cap ring, tried new gas cap, too a look at the evap canister and the tube that comes off that goes to the filter (I think..or is that from the gas tank?) - seems fine, pulled of the plug that has the purple wire at the evap canister, not corrosion. Thats about where I am now.
Canister behind front drivers tire under hood had a hose that I took off and reclamped back on (seated it better) which made the "Gas Cap" words to away but still have an engine code. Pretty sure that part is bad (have not yet replaced)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Canister behind front drivers tire under hood had a hose that I took off and reclamped back on (seated it better) which made the "Gas Cap" words to away but still have an engine code. Pretty sure that part is bad (have not yet replaced)
Pretty sure this is the purge solenoid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts