Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi. I have a 2007 Patriot Limited with just over 100,000 miles. When I try and put gas in, the pump keeps stopping after about .02 gallons. I had the return blown out. That didn't work. I just had a clogged valve cleaned out. That didn't work. The gas cap keeps loosening also.
The last mechanic said next involves removing the gas tank.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!:frown2:

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
This may have been obvious, but have you tried more than one gas station to see if it's a pump issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Patriot Limited 4x4: Mine was doing the same thing. After searching and not finding an answer, and spending $1,400 to have the gas tank replaced, I figured I’d post the cause. I cut the top center of the tank out to access the control valves. When I popped the bottom of the roll-over check valve off one of the two weighted valves fell out. The other one was stuck up in the housing, closing the air outlet (see photos). If yours is stuck closed, like mine, you can not fill the tank (in less than 20 minutes). If it sticks open you have no roll-over safety valve. If you were to roll over, hopefully you will get out and your POS Patriot will burst into flames. I wish mine would. ??

I would try beating on a nearly empty gas tank with a rubber mallet as close to the check valve as you can get. If you can get the weight to fall back where it belongs it will open the vent. Fill it with gas and trade it in before it happens again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Can these check valves be replaced without destroying the tank? There must be a better/cheaper solution than just "throwing parts" (a new tank...) at this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had the same issue with a 2007 Jeep Compass. Replaced filler line, no fix. Then replaced the gas tank. Fixed for about a month then recurred as if nothing had been replaced. Just got a used low mileage 2015 Patriot and did my first fill up this morning. The pump would not stay "on" with the little lock on the pump handle. But holding it pumped gas into tank at what seemed like full speed. I had flashbacks to the Compass issue and hope this is not the same darn issue. You would think between 2007 and 2015 they would have fixed this issue. But now reading this forum I see the same issue across many model years. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I've been fighting the same issues. The stupid rollover valve is plastic welded to the top of the tank and not replaceable. As Mckenziemw stated mine would either let me fill up, but then when the evap purge solenoid engaged, it would suck raw fuel into the engine causing it to stumble and/or stall, or it would block the air vent and only let you trickle fuel into the tank.

I have since been able to get the valve open to allow fuel filling and have mounted an air compressor water filter assembly to the evap purge line. As I type this, that filter is half full of raw fuel, but at least I don't almost stall out right after filling the tank.

I'll figure out a better solution at some point, but for right now this works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter’s 2010 Patriot is doing the same thing. AAA diagnosed it and is asking 1200 for a new tank. The dealer wants 1600. However I can get a new Mopar tank for 350 shopped and AAA will charge me 300 for labor. AAA must be charging me a premium for a new tanks. My question to anyone who has experience with this is am I better buying a new Mopar tank or an off brand? If the factory Mopar tank is flawed, then aren’t I better off buying an off brand and the factory part?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
2014 Patriot Limited 4x4: Mine was doing the same thing. After searching and not finding an answer, and spending $1,400 to have the gas tank replaced, I figured I’d post the cause. I cut the top center of the tank out to access the control valves. When I popped the bottom of the roll-over check valve off one of the two weighted valves fell out. The other one was stuck up in the housing, closing the air outlet (see photos). If yours is stuck closed, like mine, you can not fill the tank (in less than 20 minutes). If it sticks open you have no roll-over safety valve. If you were to roll over, hopefully you will get out and your POS Patriot will burst into flames. I wish mine would. ??

I would try beating on a nearly empty gas tank with a rubber mallet as close to the check valve as you can get. If you can get the weight to fall back where it belongs it will open the vent. Fill it with gas and trade it in before it happens again.

I LOVE THIS!!I HOPE MINE ROLLS OVER AND I AM ABLE TO GET OUT!
as I head outside with a rubber mallet??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been fighting the same issues. The stupid rollover valve is plastic welded to the top of the tank and not replaceable. As Mckenziemw stated mine would either let me fill up, but then when the evap purge solenoid engaged, it would suck raw fuel into the engine causing it to stumble and/or stall, or it would block the air vent and only let you trickle fuel into the tank.

I have since been able to get the valve open to allow fuel filling and have mounted an air compressor water filter assembly to the evap purge line. As I type this, that filter is half full of raw fuel, but at least I don't almost stall out right after filling the tank.

I'll figure out a better solution at some point, but for right now this works.
Ever find a better solution? I have finaly gotten my patriot on the road after 3 years reading this fourm.
I will be sure to post the problem because no shops could find it.1 red wire with bad corrosion going to the relay box. Now I have this gas tank problem and 1 code p000b.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Ever find a better solution?
He posted his work-around fix here(#37):

·
Registered
18 Posts
He posted his work-around fix here(#37):
Not sure how I missed that. Ty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi all im really hoping someone can help me i have 08 jeep patriot and sometimes when i hit the gas hard it stalls on me but starts right back up would this be the same issue as the fuel tank also what kilomters does this happen at does it happen on all 2008 jeep patriots

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
hi all im really hoping someone can help me i have 08 jeep patriot and sometimes when i hit the gas hard it stalls on me but starts right back up would this be the same issue as the fuel tank also what kilomters does this happen at does it happen on all 2008 jeep patriots
I don't think it's the same issue. The roll-over valve causes problems with filling the tank, not stalling on hard acceleration. Not all 2008's have the problem.

You may want to make a new thread on the problem you're having, and any error codes or lit dash indicators would be helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the internal flap valve on my filler neck to let it vent that way. Here is that post with some pictures: Filling up my Jeep Patriot
Just wanted to thank you for your info on this work around. I’ve gone years with this issue and refused to put a new tank in. Your advice and photos made this a breeze as it took about 30 minutes to remove that flap. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts