Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been serious discussion among the moderators about eliminating the political thread. This site is about Jeep Patriots and Jeeps in general, and we've given a lot of latitude for other discussions, but sometimes the rhetoric on the political thread gets acrimonious.

For now the thread continues. Please be careful in what you say and be respectful of other opinions. Constructive engagement is one thing; personal attacks on each other or public figures are quite another! If you want the political discussion forum to continue, please be good stewards of it.

Thank you from your moderators! :|

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
People should be coming here for the comradery of owning this rather pedestrian vehicle. Not dividing themselves over politics.

“Never discuss politics or religion in polite company”
-Unknown...

·
Registered
188 Posts
While I think that political discussion is necessary for a democratic society, I don't think it's possible on the internet with the veil of anonymity. A number of political posters are saying things they would not say to another persons face, of that I'm positive.

The bar has been set so low that people not only feel comfortable with tossing around pejoratives, they feel entitled to. It's so prevalent on the internet that it bleeds over into real life which furthers the divide between us.

The casual racism and misogyny has been rampant, as well as open insults. The lack of policy enforcement becomes a defacto endorsement of violators.

I'd rather see the rules enforced as described in the announcement at the top of that page, but I understand there are reasons not to. If it goes, the board will probably be better off in the end.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Every forum that is specific to a particular topic is obviously a focused group, however when you start censoring and policing conversation to the point where it is sterile, the forum loses appeal/interest/activity and I've seen that happen time after time over the years. Its like inviting people to your house for a BBQ and drinks only to forewarn them that they can only talk about a few topics or will have to leave - the awkwardness and sterility of the atmosphere will have them turning around and going somewhere else where they can be themselves and converse as adults. In any off topic forum yes you must be respectful and not post personal attacks, those are the rules and the vast majority of the conversations both off topic and political in nature have all followed said rules. Don't let a few bad apples or conversations ruin everything, enforce the stated rules and move forward.

Reactions: RossoRacer

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I feel compelled to point out that moderators have the ability to delete posts that break rules, ban users that repeatedly break rules, and even move threads into "the abyss" if they become an issue. In my time as a member I have seen all three things happen. I have had several "spirited" debates in the political discussion section and don't want to see it go.
If a person doesn't want to see the posts they don't have to click on them or read them. And, while I agree that most political discussion seems to end up in someone calling someone names, it's still important to show that we are a diverse community with a lot of differing perspectives and experiences. eliminating the the "political discussion" topic and threads would be a mistake in my opinion.

Reactions: RossoRacer

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Yea that always got me when people would post in a poli thread about this being a Jeep forum and why we are discussing anything not Jeep related :D

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As an example, political discussion should be "I disagree with the President talking to North Korea for the following reasons: . . ."
That is far different from saying "Only an idiot would talk with North Korea."

I think we can see the difference.

As for this being a Jeep only forum, we're trying to give a little space here. If I went to church and the minister gave a sermon on Jeeps, I'd wonder what sort of religion this was; or if I went to my Jeep dealer and the service writer asked what religion I was, I'd think she was some sort of fanatic.

By the same token, over coffee after church if the minister said he liked Jeeping on his day off I'd think he was pretty cool; and if my service writer wears a cross around her neck I'd accept it as a token of her faith so it wouldn't bother me.

Lets not let the side show become the main event, OK?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

From what I gather, people:

a.) want the politics section to stay open
b.) the posts should critique the choice without defaming the chooser, and
c.) the rules need to be enforced to support this.

Additionally, if someone feels a posting falls out of bounds, they can flag it.

Sound about right?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

From what I gather, people:

a.) want the politics section to stay open
b.) the posts should critique the choice without defaming the chooser, and
c.) the rules need to be enforced to support this.

Sound about right?
Maybe you need to go back see some threads, also seems some people around here really showing the Alt-right attitude its expected though when one political party cant deal with reality....I'm also Republican but don't agree with some things said

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Pft, I used to be a post w---- and knew more about the Patriot than other without even owning one :D

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you need to go back see some threads, also seems some people around here really showing the Alt-right attitude its expected though when one political party cant deal with reality....I'm also Republican but don't agree with some things said
I have neither the desire to the time to go back into history, but from this point forward the moderators will be closely monitoring comments.

As dear Mrs Green (my kindergarten teacher) used to say, "Let's play nice!"

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Hey I see what you did there! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Ha!

Back to the topic, the poli and even OT forums are no where what they used to be. Used to be nice to come here, ask/answer questions, talk about the Pat, and when you were done with that or sick of those conversations you could talk about daily life, current events, etc which would make this place as with some other forums, a one stop shop that was on your daily to do list. Its been pretty lame round here for a while now.

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha!

Back to the topic, the poli and even OT forums are no where what they used to be. Used to be nice to come here, ask/answer questions, talk about the Pat, and when you were done with that or sick of those conversations you could talk about daily life, current events, etc which would make this place as with some other forums, a one stop shop that was on your daily to do list. Its been pretty lame round here for a while now.
Why not launch a thread on something interesting but non-controversial? Some new discovery in physics, an archeological find, an obscure make of automobile lost to history, and so on . . .

You can help lighten everyone up a little. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Ha!

Some don't have their Patriots anymore, so not as much reason to come by. And of course, others went to Facebook.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
We used to post random current events, interesting articles, etc .... that died off a while ago.

And yes Sandstone, this is another reason why I like these forums ..... because there are people like me that don't use Facebook or social media and this is a perfect outlet with like minds to discuss things with ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts