Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've got 2014 FD2 and when the fuel light comes on the EVIC tells me that I can go 20 miles... but I've never tested that.

·
8,365 Posts
I'm driving the standard 2016 jeep patriot would anyone be able to tell me about how many miles this thing can go on E ?

If possible city miles I'm always worried I'm going to run out generally K dont have a problem keeping gas in the tank but unfortunately I hot a hiccup like we all do Haha...
First off, welcome!

In answer to your question, it would be helpful to know exactly what drivetrain you have, e.g. 2.4 or 2.0 engine, a/t or manual,FWD or AWD, FD1 or FD2, etc. Those variables will have a tremendous impact on fuel economy.

For comparison here is my experience with two FWD Patriots.
2008 2.4 CVT -- high 20s MPG overall, I could squeak out 32+ on a long easy drive, maybe as low as 26-27 in the city.
2014 2.0 5-spd -- right about 30MPG overall, 33-34 on a long easy trip, rarely under 30 even in the city.

AWD and Freedom Drive options will be lower. I've seen numbers on here in the low 20s.

In my case that translates to about 300 miles per tankful.

What's a hiccup? Is your engine not running right? People tend not to change their spark plugs as often as recommended (30,000 miles). Changing Patriot plugs may be a little different from some engines, but they are an easy DIY project. Might take half an hour even with your kids helping and tossing a ball for the dog.

To find some threads about changing plugs you can use the search box above. It is dead center on the black banner above. Its easy to miss cuz its dark gray on a black background. It says "Search Community." Just type in "change spark plugs" and you'll get several threads.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
that is Dependant on the configuration of the patriot you have

from the time your Low fuel warning comes on you have about 52 miles to before tank goes dry ( try turn off FD1 /FD2, keeping your speed above 65 miles/h to keep gear ratio high (lower engin rpm burn less fuel)gives little more time to find a gas station).

Generally if you have any patriot with Freedom drive I or freedom drive II your millage will often be a lot lower :-( off roading you wont get too far.

reason 1 if the jeep is travelling slower 25 - 35 miles/h as you would be doing is some sort of day offroading you fuel get eaten up 1st & 2nd gears ratios.

reason 2 the added demand placed on the engine by Freedom drive I or freedom drive II will knock off the millage even more

reason 3 the sometimes very slow stop & hold & Go nature of off road will result in worse than City milage driving

reason 4 running Freedom drive I or freedom drive II on highway for road driving in in-climate weather like snow reduce your mileage ( Probably not as much as offroading)

If your using standard you have some say in how gear ratios are used, this can improve your overall mileage if you learn to how to interpret the tach and engine sound.

Since I did my research before purchasing my patriot I avoided Freedome Drive I & II.

The 2.0l Engine mated to CVT trans driving FDI & FD2 apparently is the worst combination ( in terms of performace & milage) in the patriot line.

Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ignatz is right: bad plugs will sap your Patriot milage big time ( i exprienced that in 2019)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I tried to contact FCA regarding dimesions of the fuel tank assembly , im seriously wanting to attempt redesign and fabricate a bigger fuel tank to add an additional 4.5 gallons, to do this i need some auto cad drawings files for the fuel tank and FCA just seems wholly un moved ! The only other way I can do this pull a used tank, use the 3d scanner at my local community college, and import the demensions into Auto cad then work from that. Any ideas on how i can work this problem thanks , I want my 500 miles per tank Dammit .

·
Registered
875 Posts
I tried to contact FCA regarding dimesions of the fuel tank assembly , im seriously wanting to attempt redesign and fabricate a bigger fuel tank to add an additional 4.5 gallons, to do this i need some auto cad drawings files for the fuel tank and FCA just seems wholly un moved ! The only other way I can do this pull a used tank, use the 3d scanner at my local community college, and import the demensions into Auto cad then work from that. Any ideas on how i can work this problem thanks , I want my 500 miles per tank Dammit .

Here are pics of the fuel tank from a 2wd Patriot, top and bottom.

And here are pics of a 4wd Patriot fuel tank.

Even though the 4wd tank is physically longer and stretches over the rear drive shaft, it holds the same amount of fuel, which sucks. But, if you have a 2wd Patriot and were somehow able to modify a 4wd tank to remove the cutout section in the middle... that would add a good bit of extra capacity. Why Jeep didn't do that is a mystery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
thanks for the images can i get Somebody to measure the Width / length / height of a tank
so that i can establish the actual size in the photo then i can that info to work out the rest
of the measurements for the various shapes & contours of the tank,

If readers are able post dimensions could you also post the mopar Part number for the tanks as well along with the jeep configuration ie (Tral rated, FD1 FD2 etc

now the big question

How many version of the fuel tanks exist? ( I remember looking at a online supplier of tanks) and the patriot tank part number & interchange/compatibility list was quite long, bewildering with nearly 27 tanks P/N# versions split between the jeep Patriots (all versions) & 2011 - 2015 jeep compass. it would not suprize me if more tanks specs existed for the EU & Asian market patriot as well.

The jeep I run is a Patriot 4x2 (no 4wheel drive) (no CVT) that lives in Ontario, Canada

Comment: That tank is so far from the shape of a cube ( its a very a complex shape), does anyone think this is why nobody has tried to manufacture an bigger tank for the patriot.

thanks all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
as for the mystery as to why, I suspect it was design contraints of the vehicle being a compact suv

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
THE STANDARD GETS CLOSER 405 MILES BECAUSE THE STANDARD LETS YOU DECIDE HOW AND WHEN TO SHIFT, AND WITH TIME... WHEN YOU GET TO KNOW HOW TO READ YOUR JEEP PERFORMANCE, IT SOON BECOMES SECOND NATURE TO THE DRIVER. STADARD IS A GOOD THING IF YOU CAN TOLERATE AND NOT PANIC WHEN YOU ACCIDENTLY STALL THE VEHICL ON A BUSY HIGHWAY /EXPRESSWAY STOP/GO TRAFFIC. IT NOT FOR EVERYONE BUT THE GAS SAVINGS ARE PROBABLY WORTH IT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
BTW COVID-19 SUCKS ! THAT WHY I HAVENT BEEN ON HERE IN ALMOST 9 MONTHS.

EVERYONE PLEASE STAY SAFE AND HANG IN THERE, WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS, WITH GODS HELP.

·
8,365 Posts
BTW COVID-19 SUCKS ! THAT WHY I HAVENT BEEN ON HERE IN ALMOST 9 MONTHS.

EVERYONE PLEASE STAY SAFE AND HANG IN THERE, WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS, WITH GODS HELP.
I don't mean to side-track the thread, but I'm concerned. Did you have covid?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nope ! the story didn't go like that So for the record, there is no covid-19 for me, thank god, but seriously this whole covid thing is just too scary & down right crazy, I wonder if that guy who was prepping for a BIOLOGICAL DISASTER on Doomsday Preppers just scored a perfect 100% for his prepping skills lol

21 - 33 of 33 Posts