·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forums:

Since my purchase of the jeep in 2018, the fuel economy and living
in between cities was forcing me to carry a full 10 gal Jerry can in the
spare tire well.

One of the users elsewhere on this site, suggested carrying a plastic gas can.
to make up for the jeeps small tank, which I did for about 13 months.

I'm here to tell ya, It's a bad idea to use plastic fuel container inside the jeep and it
has nothing to do with fire in my case.

If any of you keep fuel inside of the jeep, there is a possible risk of eye irritation
from VOC's contained in the gas fumes building up inside the vehicle.

The gas fumes from my plastic Jerry can's seal caused, burning & tearing, itching
that required 3 months to treat.

If you need to use a Jerry can. go spend a few extra bucks, for a heavy duty metal fuel
container with a excellent leak resistant seal that wont leak fumes, it will save you a lot
of grief & worry.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Welcome to the group! Sounds like you've got the FD2 off-road package like me. I get in the area of 20mpg. But whether plastic or metal, I would never carry extra fuel inside a vehicle. If I had to carry extra fuel in my Patriot I'd do it on top in a roof basket or on a hitch mounted carrier, but that's just me. I suppose if I absolutely had to have it inside, a good metal can would be the way to go, those fumes can be very nasty!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope not the FD2 (Gas guzzling Crap) I have the 6 speed automatic (with simulated standard mode).

I have an idea

since nobody seems to make a extended range tank with an extra 3.5 gallon

( I KNOW THIS WOULD NOT BE SAFE LOL)

I was was wondering if anyone has ever thought of vertically stretching the bottom half of a new patriot plastic fuel tank by using a large flat heating element to soften the tanks plastic lower sides & bottom while applying about 20 PSI of compressed air to a sealed tank, to stretch the tank vertically about 2 inches to increase the tanks volume.

And to see how low the tank could be stretched and remain safe below the underbody.

Doing somthing like this would preserve Width & Length restriction (in the horizontal plane of the tank mounting points) while increasing the tanks volume in the vertical direction, maintaining the footprint of the upper under body where the tank is tucked into.

The only thing I think would need to be changed if the stretching idea worked, would be in Liquid Volume ratio of the float gauge. so that the fuel gauge reads true and extending the internal Transfer tube between the two saddles in the tank. this is cheap ass way to do it just to experiment

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would love to get 372 miles per tank! I only get around 220. Stretching the tank like that sound very dangerous, but from what I've seen on the underside of the Pat is that there is room for a larger tank, especially on the 2wd models.

·
8,357 Posts
I don't think I ever got more than 330 and that was with a 2.4 FWD CVT driving easy on state roads, not expressways. I usually fill as soon as the low fuel light comes on so I've never found the bottom of the tank, nor do I care to.

My Wife may approach 350 miles with a 2.0 FWD 5-spd. She's a pretty easy driver with a 40 mile commute each way on rural state roads. I'm sure the manual gears help with fuel economy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that clue mr_et2 about the tank size of the 2 wheel drive patriot model.

also Is the Fredom drive II system combined with the CVT & 2.4 world engine that bad ? (220 miles) I know that FDII ate gas but i had no idea the range was that low. (check your manual and see if the range should be higher) you may need a tuneup & NGK plugs.

I was having a issue that left me getting 420 km (260 miles) per tank last fall, the cure was replacing the sparkplugs & doing a tuneup, the patriot was getting closer to 372 miles per Fill up after that FIX. downside NGK plugs are needed to maintain fuel effifcency and need to be replaced ever 50,000 miles or when the milage starts to drop off.

I also had a problem about (December 2019) 2 months ago with the patriot refusing to start after a fill up in cold weather, It turned out that I needed a crank position sensor, since the engine popped a P0335 code after the stall.

During the service for the failing crank sensor, a new ECM firmware update for 2015 - 2017 Patriot MKII & Compass (nafta market model) related to the P0335 code, that fixed a problem with gas blends using ethanol not being able to start or keep running below 32deg.F

Since that firmware update was done, the jeep has been rock solid, fuel economy slightly improved to about 376 miles over the rated 372 miles. based on my last 6 (clicked off) fill ups.

cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forgot to mention that 376miles was me test driving the jeep until the jeep ran out of gas ( carrying 10 gallon Jerry can) to get back to gas station.

·
Registered
340 Posts
With my FD2 I get right around 20mpg/city in cold weather, warmer weather gets me around 21.5/city. Never really checked on longer trips. The mpg above is consistent before and after plug/air cleaner service/tires at recommended pressure.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks for that clue mr_et2 about the tank size of the 2 wheel drive patriot model.

also Is the Fredom drive II system combined with the CVT & 2.4 world engine that bad ? (220 miles) I know that FDII ate gas but i had no idea the range was that low. (check your manual and see if the range should be higher) you may need a tuneup & NGK plugs.
The EPA estimated fuel economy for the 2014 FD2 Patriot is 20 mpg city, 23 mpg highway, and 21 mpg combined, according to the window sticker. I drive mostly on the highway at around 70 mph, and keep my Jeep well serviced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
JEEPED, I was also disappointed with the range on my patriot (4x4 2.4L) sport. I get between 22-23 MPG and fill up every 3 trips to work with about 10 gallons of gas. So my range is about 220-230 miles, which is very common for these rigs. There is space underneath for a larger tank but i think jeep was just trying to save money with a gas tank that's same size a Civic. In comparison to my other vehicles (from gas light on to full tank) my wife's Soul takes about 12 gallons and my Integra takes about 11 gallons. So Yeah i agree it has a small tank for its size/class.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Since i'm up here in Canada we do Km so:

the spec'd travel range for 2016 Patriot (2.4 L) (6 spd) (non CVT) (FWD) in automatic transmission mode
is 600 Km = 372.88 Mile

Real world I typically get 580-595 Km 369 Miles (running the tank dry)

To get that range (I am always speeding) lol

60km/h (37.3 mile/hr) (in city)

80km (50 mile/hr) to 90km (55 mile/hr) (back hwy roads with few traffic lights)

major Highway (100km) 62 miles/hr to 120 km/h (82 mile /hr)

these speed mainitain a fuel economy 11KM/Litre

not bad!

if I drive 40km hr (25 mile/hr) - 50km/h (31 miles/hr) as in city driving for an extended amount of time the fuel economy drops down close to 240 miles/per tank (if i run the tank dry that way)

not too good !!

I wonder if the Jeep hand wave is sign were stupid?

I want a 65liter (18 gal tank ) that give me 550 miles darn it!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In find it strange that everyone here seems to be getting wildly varying numbers for (mileage).

I use Odometer one to track the total milage over a month of driving ( keep my gas receipts to know how much gas goes into the patriot each month.

use Odometer 2 figure out how much mileage i get from every quarter tank

I have also used the Odometer to check how much range I get from, Low fuel state to empty (run dry) that turns out to be 52 miles (bad news on a jeep that burns down in 25 mins)

BTW my jeep does not have the EVIC is there any way to switch the odometer From KM to Miles?

thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
I used to do it on my Pat when I would drive to Canada, back before I installed EVIC. If I remember correctly, with the normal odometer showing (not the trip odometer), press and hold the button for about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A little undocumented trick for (Non evic models) I learned a while back:

If you set your dash board digital display to odometer and hold down Cluster button to
the right of the display for about 10 seconds the cluster will display elapsed running time of the
engine in hours in the following format {Hr nnnn}

this was somthing i stumbled on while reviewing feature of the jeep, this trick is undocumented,
very handy for knowing the running age of the Engine.

try it out let me know if it work on Evic / non evic models

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm driving the standard 2016 jeep patriot would anyone be able to tell me about how many miles this thing can go on E ?

If possible city miles I'm always worried I'm going to run out generally K dont have a problem keeping gas in the tank but unfortunately I hot a hiccup like we all do Haha...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts