Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone still make front tow hooks for the Patriots? I want to add some to mine, but I cant seem to find any that are patriot specific. I want something that bolts right on without modification (with the exception of cutting out the holes on the lower bumper). Prefer red ones, but I am handy with a rattle can if need be.

·
Administrator
8,241 Posts
Factory front hooks here:

Factory rear hook here:

·
Administrator
8,241 Posts
Damn those are expensive.
As vehicle specific, made-just-for-the-Patriot OEM often is.

If you want them cheaper, build them yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As vehicle specific, made-just-for-the-Patriot OEM often is.

If you want them cheaper, build them yourself.
Is it required to drill an extra hole into your frame or the DIY method?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
Damn, those are expensive. When I took my rear one off I should have sold it. It's been lost in my garage for 5 years now, so I'll probably never see it again.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,762 Posts
Is it required to drill an extra hole into your frame or the DIY method?
The design uses the rear OEM mounting location. A hole does need to be drilled in the steel bumper to attach the front point.
In that thread some were adding a second hole near the rear point. That is not required.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,070 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I would say that the DIY hook wouldn't be as strong in a real recovery compared to the OEM hook.

I say this because of the way the rear bolt (the most important bolt) attaches each to the frame of the vehicle.

The OEM rear bolt is under double shear stress

The DIY rear bolt is under single shear stress

Do a quick YouTube search for the differences and you'll see that the OEM hook potentially provides twice the recovery ability.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.... I'm actually a physics teacher so would welcome any corrections. I've never taught material strain/stress before as it's never been part of the curriculum here

Reactions: mr_et2 and Riot MK

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would say that the DIY hook wouldn't be as strong in a real recovery compared to the OEM hook.

I say this because of the way the rear bolt (the most important bolt) attaches each to the frame of the vehicle.

The OEM rear bolt is under double shear stress

The DIY rear bolt is under single shear stress
The front OE recovery hooks are bolted to the front bumper assembly and also a single shear to the chassis rail and double shear to another part of the unibody.

They might seem "expensive" but they're cheap the first time you need them. Just like airbags and seat belts.. they cost quite a bit of money and the ideal situation is one in which they never do anything.

I wouldn't trust the DIY stuff for anything more than a kayak hold-down rope.

For the rear the best value is a tow hitch because then you can use it for light towing or bike/cargo carriers in addition to being a secure fixture for vehicle recovery and even a jacking point with the appropriate jack.

The OE rear recovery hook I believe is still single shear but on two bolts, directly into the chassis rail (not an impact absorbing bumper)

I'm not wealthy but it's valuable to understand when to be a cheapskate and when it's more expensive to be a cheapskate. I opted for the "expensive" OE recovery hooks and have never used them and I continue to be 100% glad I got them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts