Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised i took pictures of my removal of the front bumper cover so here is the how to.

I wanted to find the best place to mount aftermarket tow hooks to an FDI, but it looks like the factory FDII tow hooks are the best bet and youll see why in the pics below.

1st youll need these tools to remove the bumper cover.

7mm socket and ratchet
7mm wrench
10mm socket
screw driver or panel removal tool (for push rivets)

Step 1 remove the 3 7mm screws on the wheel shroud in front of the front tire.

Step 2 remove the push rivet on the inside of the wheel well. (top one on pic)

step 3 remove the 2 push rivets on the bottom of the shroud that attach to the bumper cover.

step 4 pull the shroud back to expose the inside of the bumber cover.

Step 5 remove the 7mm bolt in the corner of the bumper cover connecting it to the fender. also remove the 2 larger push rivets you see in the same area. (second push rivet is behind metal piece to the right in picture)

this is what the larger push rivets look like.

repeat steps 1-5 on the other side.

step 6 romove the air intake upper piece by twisting the two plastic hand screws and remove.

step 7 remove the 2 10mm bolts on the corners of the bumper cover were it meets the fenders under the hood(already removed in picture 1). and also remove the 5 plastic push rivets.

step 8 underneith there is a clip that holds the bumper cover to the chasis. there should be 2 (mine only had one, yeah those cheap.... :mad: )

step 9 pull upward on the top part of the bumper cover near the headlight with one hand and pull outward on the corner below the fender at the same time with the other. the bumper will slide forward. only pull it out a few inches at first and then twist the turn signal sockets out of the housings before removing the bumper completely.

a view with no bumper cover.... :wow: p.s the wires hanging are for my aftermarket fog lights.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and here is the reason i say the factory FDII tow hooks may be the best option. all of the holes are there. and the metal in the front bumper is very thin and probably not a good idea to attach tow hooks to.

front view of were factory tow hooks would be. you can also see the mounting holes in the bottom of the bumper

a possible mounting hole from underneith the chasis

the thin metal in the front bumper

unused threaded hole in frame possibly for factory tow hooks?

tell me what you think?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Schoat, First let me thank you for taking these photos and posting them... Takes alot of guts to take apart such a large part of your Jeep. I know for one I appreciate these type of how to posts...

So, you going to cut the bumper and post those pics too?

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schoat, First let me thank you for taking these photos and posting them... Takes alot of guts to take apart such a large part of your Jeep. I know for one I appreciate these type of how to posts...

So, you going to cut the bumper and post those pics too?
im planning to go to the chrysler dealer tomorrow and see if they can get the FDII tow hooks.

I was going to go custom because i thought the Chasis itself may be different from the FDI to FDII.

I decided to take it all apart and find out for sure. It was well worth it since i now know that the FDII tow hooks can be made to fit the FDI with little or no modification to the Chasis since the frame itself is already open for the hook to go into (possibly only drilling a hole or 2, or adding an aftermarket bolt to attach it). If my dealer can get the tow hooks i will be ordering and cutting the bumper very soon. :D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
if it's still off, could you take a picture of the inside of the bumper cover?

Looking at your front end, it's going to be quite difficult to design an aftermarket steel tubular bumper like other Jeeps have. Just too much plastic...

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow! Do I understand correctly you did this for fun? Do you have the tow hooks?? I bet they'll be dead simple to install now.
Well for fun and for a purpose at the same time. I will be doing many mods over the next few months so stay tuned. this was just to get and idea of what to do for front tow hooks. I hope it helps everyone else out as well. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it's still off, could you take a picture of the inside of the bumper cover?

Looking at your front end, it's going to be quite difficult to design an aftermarket steel tubular bumper like other Jeeps have. Just too much plastic...
i have a few... let me get them on my photobucket and post em up.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres the inside on the cover

and here were the tow hook holes would be. you can see an outline of were the cut should be if you look close.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Schoat,

What's the trick to those push rivets?

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Schoat,

What's the trick to those push rivets?
pry the ceter out while holding the outer piece in place. a neat trick i found was i used my little 7mm wrench like a small pry bar and stuck the open end under the center of the push rivet and it poped out, then you can remove the rest of it.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Hmmmm,

I had the 'pry the center part out' but then they wouldn't go anywhere, so I ended up breaking the heads off and poking them all the way through. I'm obviously missing something, maybe patients! Perhaps a photo step by step would help.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Do you think maybe a drill hit to start, a reciprocating saw, and then a large coarse file to tidy up and make sure the holes end up with straight edges?

Will need some colour-matched paint to tidy up the cut edges, I think.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I'd make a rectangular hole into a piece of aluminum sheet with said drill and reciprocating saw (or get a machinist to mill a nice hole), and then I'd use this as a template to cut the bumper with an X-acto blade. Much less chance of screwing up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I thought about drilling a hole in each corner and then using a straight edge to guide an X-acto knife on each side of the rectangle, but I have never cut material like the fascia before.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I would tape the painted side with the blue painters tape (clean off any wax/bugs/etc first so the tape sticks well) then drill and hand saw it myself. I'd probably use a small hacksaw and take my time following just inside of the guide lines on the inside of the bumper. Staying to the inside of the guide will give you some wiggle room and a chance to straighten the edges with a file. Just go real slow to minimize any paint chipping/damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thats what I like to see, great "how-to" I am impressed. Good to see someone getting down and dirty with their Patriot...Keep us posted on your progress...glad I have FDII, lol!!!

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news. i ordered the front tow hooks yesterday. hopefully i cant do another how to this weekend ;) .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts