Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I finally got around to installing my Yakima bars on top of the jeep but now I'm left with another issue... I use the bars to carry my canoe back and forth but I cannot find anywhere suitable to tie it down at the front or at the back.

I've got the 09 sport model 4x4. No tow hooks and no hitch. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
42 views and not 1 comment?

Is it because my explanation is not clear or is it just because nobody knows?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Furync,

I have a cheep pair if straps bought at a sporting goods stor to tie down a canoe. It had two straps with s hooks that you could open the hood and attache to a hole in the side pannel. I would hook them in under the hood on the side of the Patriot then close the hood and tie the canoe down. Haven't lost mine yet... I am not sure what you could do in the back... maybe install a receiver hitch and tie to that point or attach straps to the inner tie down point when the gate is open, close the gate and tie up.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Best option in the rear would be to add a hitch as a tie-down point. You might be able to use the holes that the hitch would bolt into but I don't know if that's a practical solution.

For the front... the only place I'm aware of it's a small hole in the front (behind the fascia somewhere I believe) that is used to help secure the Patriot for transport from the factory... I know it's been discussed on this site before but I don't remember what the verdict was for using it as a tie-down point.

UPDATE: Reading through this thread will be very helpful.

·
just an average Joe
3,197 Posts
Newjeepgirl's solution:
Sorry, this is long, but hopefully it makes sense and is something to work from, let me know if you have any questions..

The auto body shop found one shipping tie under the front of the Patriot (he took the time to search for it when the towhooks didn't work the way he wanted to install them). Under the front fascia (near what I call the "radiator skid plate" but I don't know the tech term) on the passenger side, the first cutout from the center there is a solid loop hole (you have to push away the plate/fascia to see it better). There is not one on the other side.

Since its an offset one and with our racks being on the back end of the Patriot, the typical way of tying the boat is not necessarily going to work. This is what I did but you will have to modify as needed for yours. I didn't put up the kayak since the canoe is usually the harder of the two to keep steady.

Belt ties (ties going over the boat at the crossbars):
I couldn't use the straps to tie, boat was way to sloppy without the "v" style bumper tie in front. Second, I couldn't use the divers/truckers hitch to tie. I had to use pipe hitches on both sides of the canoe, tight to the canoe (if you have the canoe brackets to keep the boat in place you might have different options).

Rear tie:
No problems using the hitch, not as good as a "v" shape, but workable. If you don't have a hitch you might be able to add a loop or bolt to the predrilled hitch holes - can't tell with my hitch already on if that's going to rub to much or be in the right spot.

Front tie:
1) I can just do the normal belt ties, tie to the hitch in back and cross tie to the shipping tie in the front. This might be good for a river kayak, especially if you have the vertical tower accessory (with kayak on drivers side) but was too sloppy for my canoe.
2) I can do belt ties, hitch tie, cross tie to front shipping tie and then do a thwart (canoe cross piece) and rack wraparound tie. Thwart needs to be placed directly on top of cross beam for min wiggle. This was workable but still not great.
3) Skip the front shipping tie altogether and use these nifty gadgets along with the hitch, thwart and belt ties. I found them on the hundredth google search - hood tie downs Merrimack Canoes . This still wasn't perfect for my canoe and it does press up on the play of the hood. However, it worked better than the shipping tie and this is the method I will probably stick with for a while - I may still add tow hooks later for easier and more solid hauling. I don't know them from anyone but it was under $10 and they put it in the regular mail that day, you could probably make your own version, but this was quicker for me.

And, link to my photo album that has pictures of the shipping loop tie, the hood ties, my canoe, etc....

I am happy to finally have a solution that works for me, never have I had to work this hard to outfit a vehicle for a canoe! I am happy that its done now and I still love my Patriot. I have also never had this much trouble with dealerships (both service and sales). I don't know if its a Los Angeles thing or a Chrysler thing. Some of it, is probably new model stuff so I was being lenient. But, I guess I was too nice because I eventually had to resort to my "difficult contractor" methods before they would even give me 5 minutes of their time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How about putting washer spacers over the number plate bolts between the body and the plate? You could then hook your tie straps over the spacers. You would need to use a steel stud with nuts and large washers for the body mount, then a stack of washers, then the plate and finally washer and nut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts