Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Cabin Filter Preference (Check all that apply)

• Would like a washable/reusable foam filter.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Would like a "universal" frame for my own homemade filter.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Will stick with the OEM style pleated.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Don't care to have a cabin filter.

Votes: 6 12.8%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cabin (A/C) filter is located behind the glove box.

Open the glove box.
Push the sides, at the back of the glove box, together to get the glove box to drop down completely.
You will see the fan housing and there is a plastic cover with airflow stamped on it.
Take the cover off and replace the filter.
Reverse the process.

5 months of use results

I have designed an option to the OEM style pleated cabin air filter (not the engine air filter).

It consists of a removable and washable 1" thick foam media filter.
The foam media has a filter rating of MERV 4.
It is not as good as the OEM pleated but it is better than none at all.
The filter frame is made of cardboard and can be used with homemade pleated filters if a higher MERV is desired.

Top View:

Bottom View:

Holding the filter up to the light to show the foam media density.
There are (9) 40 W light bulbs, you can see one peeking out from behind the frame on the right side:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Foam would be cool if the MERV rating is high enough. Frame is cool because you can get your own high quality pleated furnace filter and make several filters out of one of them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'd just want the frame so I can cut my own from home furnace filters and choose my own MERV rating. Foam doesn't filter as well as paper nor have the surface area, so it will need to be cleaned more frequently.

BTW, every MK has the air filtration duct. You just need to add the filter as if someone that has it were replacing it.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foam would be cool if the MERV rating is high enough.
Foam will not get you a MERV rating as high as for example a mid range 3M pleated filter. For me, a 1" thick foam filter with a MERV of probably 4 is better than no filter at all. That is enough filter to get most of the dust, pollen, and "large" stuff. The foam is designed to be a prefilter to prevent excess loading on a higher MERV final filter.

The thing to remember about filter ratings is that the filter is only as good as the seal around the edges. A high MERV filter that has a small gap between filter and fan housing is going to bypass unfiltered air lowering its system installed MERV.

For those with the OEM pleated filter, how tight is the fit?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Access

I just want Jeep to redo how the glove box opens to change the filter, what a pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
APT, how did you compress both sides of the glove box to open? The plastic on mine is very stiff and I think I am going to break it when I press on it.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Is this really necessary? Isn't this just one more thing we need to remember to replace? I can just hear the complaints years from now about how lousy the HVAC system is because they never change the filter.

My idea of a cabin filter is a piece of screen to keep bugs out. That would be plenty for me.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I only pulled on one tab at a time, so it is twisted a little whiel one side is past the . Yeah, a little stiff, but it didn't seem flimsy enough that I was worried about breaking it.

Jepster, necessary? Nope! If you often drive with your windows down, it doesn't matter. Many people never put their windows down except for drive through ATMs, fast food, pharmacy, etc. For those people, air filters are nice.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I only pulled on one tab at a time, so it is twisted a little whiel one side is past the . Yeah, a little stiff, but it didn't seem flimsy enough that I was worried about breaking it.

Jepster, necessary? Nope! If you often drive with your windows down, it doesn't matter. Many people never put their windows down except for drive through ATMs, fast food, pharmacy, etc. For those people, air filters are nice.
On the Willys tech discussion list there was a lengthy lament from people who had not replaced the screen in the hood/cabin air vent when they had it apart. When bees hit the vent and get forced into the car, well needless to say, after that they are really mad!

So what is the cabin filter filtering out? Dust? Smog? (bees? ;) ) Is it a really good filter or just a furnace type filter?

One good thing!!! There won't be a leaf stuck in the fan for 3 years like in my CJ.

I picked washable(since there is one), and don't really want one at all.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prototype Cabin Filter Frame

Here is a prototype of the cabin filter frame with a hand-cut pleated furnace filter.
Since I have access to a measuring device, I am going to try and determine what kind of pressure drop (and loss of air flow) that is generated between no filter, pleated, etc.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
What type of material are you gonna use for the final product? Stick with cardboard, aluminum, or plastic? plexi might be a good choice since its so easy to work with and it glues up nicely...

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What type of material are you gonna use for the final product? Stick with cardboard, aluminum, or plastic? plexi might be a good choice since its so easy to work with and it glues up nicely...
Looking into it being plastic or fairly rigid rubber, if I intend to produce lots of them.

Cardboard will be the way to go for just a "few".

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Here is a prototype of the cabin filter frame with a hand-cut pleated furnace filter.
Since I have access to a measuring device, I am going to try and determine what kind of pressure drop (and loss of air flow) that is generated between no filter, pleated, etc.

There is a support bracket in the filter housing to keep it rigid. You would only need a "+" or "x" side frame instead of that fancy "*" you have there :)
It wouldn't restrict airflow as much either.
If you made 2 identical pieces that screwed together at the 4 corners, that might cut down on production costs. You could also make it so the sides clamp down on the long sides of the cut filters to hold it tight and seal it well.
Just thowing it out there.:blah:

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There is a support bracket in the filter housing to keep it rigid. You would only need a "+" or "x" side frame instead of that fancy "*" you have there :)
It wouldn't restrict airflow as much either.
If you made 2 identical pieces that screwed together at the 4 corners, that might cut down on production costs. You could also make it so the sides clamp down on the long sides of the cut filters to hold it tight and seal it well.
Just thowing it out there.:blah:
You know, I did not look in there when I test fit it earlier. I am hoping to be able to reduce the interior supports because they do take up a large percentage of the total face area (I did not want the fan "eating" my first prototype so I erred on the side of caution). I will take a look at the built-in supports.

Making two identical pieces (for the mass produced plastic/rubber version) has been the plan all along.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I think you'd only need the support on the bottom (fan) side of the housing since it's pulling the air down through it. Maybe just a piece of square wire mesh cut the same size as the filter. Then it could be a simple C channel with three bends and one end removeable. Or just angle iron like frame with four simple flat spring hold downs...like a picture frame. Otherwise your prototype looks great joe! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Final Design: Cardboard frame, open top, "+" support on bottom, 1" thick foam filter (removable), spray paint.

I made 10 of them over the weekend.
The paint quality varies from one to another.
I mainly painted them just to make them a "more consistent" color because they are made from a recycled box (daughter's booster seat box).
The next batch will just be brown cardboard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts