Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife was driving our 2017 jeep patriot it has 65000 miles on it today the red lightning bolt started flashing the check engine light came on and the traction control light came on the car lost power and was limping. my wife turned thr car off and back on and was able to drive for a couple miles and it happened again. Any idea what this could be..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There are numerous threads here about the infamous red lightning bolt dashboard light. One Achilles heel of the otherwise very reliable FCA GEMA engine is a throttle body unit with plastic gears that break. I recently read that this happens to other brands too.

Below are a couple of links for you to research. But, I urge you to not jump to conclusions and replace the throttle body without going through the proper diagnostics. Dealers charge $600+ for this repair. A new unit can be had for less than $250 dollars and it is diy doable with minimal skills.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fla...zoMKHQW0BcYQrQIoBDABegQICRAL&biw=1920&bih=925

https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...j4MKHbfHClYQrQIoBDAQegQIABAL&biw=1920&bih=925

This is something that I would push a good dealer to accommodate you with a "good will" repair. This is a very well known problem with the FCA GEMA engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just changed out my throttle body on my 2015 Patriot a few weeks ago, only has 51,000km on it.
I went through the steps of cleaning out the throttle plate and checking the wiring, but to no avail.
The throttle body cost about $300 Canadian. Only took 30 min to replace, pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just replaced mine, I was just getting the lightening bolt coming on here and there. Then one day going through a light it went into limp mode and actually kicked the CEL.
So I replaced my Throttle body. Been driving a few days now. Suddenly out of nowhere the jeep went into limp mode again this time with the lightening bolt flashing. Messed with the harness, let it sit. Now it drives again no issues.

BTW my throttle body was $85 from amazon and it took like less then 1 hour to replace.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just changed out my throttle body on my 2015 Patriot a few weeks ago, only has 51,000km on it.
I went through the steps of cleaning out the throttle plate and checking the wiring, but to no avail.
The throttle body cost about $300 Canadian. Only took 30 min to replace, pretty easy to do.
Did you replace it from the top or underneath the vehicle? It looks pretty cramped in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my wife was driving our 2017 jeep patriot it has 65000 miles on it today the red lightning bolt started flashing the check engine light came on and the traction control light came on the car lost power and was limping. my wife turned thr car off and back on and was able to drive for a couple miles and it happened again. Any idea what this could be..
This exact thing is happening to my 2014 Jeep Patriot 62000 miles...any help here would be amazing! I have very little to no money for repairs and a job interview two days from now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vacuum leak. I had the same problem with my 2014

·
Registered
1 Posts
This same exact thing just happened to me. The check engine light came on when I started my car but then while driving my daughter to school the lightning bolt started flashing and traction control came on. An you tell me what it was with your wife’s car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out the problem my compass is doing the same thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts