Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed my dome light leak!....sort of.

So basically what happened:

I bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 this past winter. I love the truck but the only issue I've been having is a water leak in the trunk area by the dome light. I did some research and found that the washer grommet and the plastic round thing to the left of it were causing water to get into the dome light area. I silicon-ed it off with some boat sealant and it worked great...kind of. Now instead of the water flowing into the actual light fixture it floods into the headliner. It is all along the back ridge of the headliner and its soggy like a sponge. I was wondering if maybe the bolts holding the rear hatch on are leaking too? Or if its something else. Any ideas?

Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
i would remove the headliner and look for the source,
also you would need to check and stop any rust that may be up there.
sealing off the grommet may not have been the source of the leak but an exit point, and with that sealed it is now backing up.
also check bolts/seals around the roof side rails, that is where my leak problems started,
also check roof drainage channel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would remove the headliner and look for the source,
also you would need to check and stop any rust that may be up there.
sealing off the grommet may not have been the source of the leak but an exit point, and with that sealed it is now backing up.
also check bolts/seals around the roof side rails, that is where my leak problems started,
also check roof drainage channel.
Damn, Is there a tutorial for removing the headliner? And the roof rails? the truck is out of warranty so anything I go into the shop for will end up being hundreds of dollars.

I hope there isn't a huge rust problem up there, my loan is still brand new and I just got my jeep a few months ago. :doh:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Damn, Is there a tutorial for removing the headliner? And the roof rails? the truck is out of warranty so anything I go into the shop for will end up being hundreds of dollars.

I hope there isn't a huge rust problem up there, my loan is still brand new and I just got my jeep a few months ago. :doh:
first i would start with roof side rails and channel,
is there any bubbling paint anywhere up there?
side rails bolts are under the cap that pops off, T30 torx bolt,
roof liner is cumbersome but pretty easy to remove,
remove dome lights,
starting at the front, remove sunvisor, A pillar, screws are easy to access
B pillar bolts are behind SRS airbag caps, pillar can be slipped down over seatbelt,
coat hanger and/or grab bars need to be removed
rear pillars need to remove lower panels first, to do so remove cargo cover, remove rear d ring tie downs, and rear gate lower trim,
rear panels pull up starting from rear to front
then can remove rear pillars,
also on roof panel are 2 clips that pull down with the roof panel, do not try to remove the 2 clips from headliner as they have kind of anchor flaps that will rip the liner, can peak in above liner from the back to get an idea how they look

since you have had water up there will most likely have some rust,
when you find the source and seal it,
treat/remove whatever rust you find,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first i would start with roof side rails and channel,
is there any bubbling paint anywhere up there?
side rails bolts are under the cap that pops off, T30 torx bolt,
roof liner is cumbersome but pretty easy to remove,
remove dome lights,
starting at the front, remove sunvisor, A pillar, screws are easy to access
B pillar bolts are behind SRS airbag caps, pillar can be slipped down over seatbelt,
coat hanger and/or grab bars need to be removed
rear pillars need to remove lower panels first, to do so remove cargo cover, remove rear d ring tie downs, and rear gate lower trim,
rear panels pull up starting from rear to front
then can remove rear pillars,
also on roof panel are 2 clips that pull down with the roof panel, do not try to remove the 2 clips from headliner as they have kind of anchor flaps that will rip the liner, can peak in above liner from the back to get an idea how they look

since you have had water up there will most likely have some rust,
when you find the source and seal it,
treat/remove whatever rust you find,

Sounds good, took a look at everything, I can see where all the stuff comes apart on all the trim except for the dome lights, do those just pop off or are there screws in the fixture i need to un-screw first.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Sounds good, took a look at everything, I can see where all the stuff comes apart on all the trim except for the dome lights, do those just pop off or are there screws in the fixture i need to un-screw first.
dome light just pops out,
wiring unplugged
at least on my 2007, dont know if theres any difference on other models,
most difficult aspect is those rear plugs, hard to explain, but when you can pull down rear of roof liner and peek in, will see what i mean, plug stays with the roof liner

·
Registered
813 Posts
i've been to dealer for this same issue 5 times. still leaks. i am pushing for headliner droppage and rain/roof rack channel checking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts