Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a hunting trip last week, I drove my FD-II over a log I didn’t see in the brush (and pre-dawn darkness) and dragged it underneath for a few yards before hitting a mudhole and getting stuck. I had to jack up the Patriot to drag the log out, and then dig out the wheels and lay down a carpet of sticks and brush to get out of the mud.
Everything looks OK on the undercarriage, but does the Patriot need to go in to be checked? I’m assuming the skid plates caught most of the abuse, but is there anything else I should be concerned about — suspension, tie rods, etc?

·
Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
Nice job getting yourself out!

Check your power steering lines (runs across and above the back of the front cross-member) and the fuel lines that run down the left side rocker, make sure they didn't take damage.

If you hear a scraping sound coming from the center of the car it may be the heat shield got bent and is touching the driveshaft.

And if you're missing the muffler count it as a plus. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, thanks. And yeah, having been on this forum helped me know how to get unstuck from the mud. Fortunately I carry a foldable shovel for such occasions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check the wheels and springs for mud. I was stuck in mud, got out, then driving down the road I could feel an unbalance. Check of the inside of the wheels and springs found clumps of mud to be an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing: When I was researching the Patriot before buying mine new in 2017, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the “cheap plastic interior.” Well, after my experience in the mud, and thoroughly spreading mud all over the interior as I got in and out while working to get it unstuck, I can report that the “cheap plastic interior” did what it was designed to and cleaned up very nicely with a little soap and water, and the people who insist on leather and teakwood or whatever should go buy a Range Rover.

·
Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
Yes, I agree it does clean up pretty good.

Before the 2010.5 Latitude came out, the front arm rests were hard plastic instead of soft, so that's what at least some of the complaints were about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts