Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
My only question--was there any aftermarket electrical devices on this rig? There is only one un-fused circuit--that is the battery!

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
The fire started in the car? Or under the car near the muffler?

I had my whole car apart there fishing a wire from the tail gate to the dashboard. I did not see any "dangerous" looking wiring problems.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If you have more inforamation as to where in the back the fire started that would be helpful. (under the car, in the rear cabin roof, or in the rear cargo area walls)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My daughter said the smoke was on the inside of the car. The flames were all around the outside & inside of the car when she got over to the side of the road so she isn't sure where it started. There were no extra add on devices in the car so I speculate it was started around the fuel tank / pump area. Chrysler said they would do nothing for me & said it must have been accident related, there was no accident & the car was pristine. I then asked for a copy of the investigators report & was rudely refused. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the customer service agent said no & was rude.. I then said I will have to get an lawyer & she got rude & curt. I am now retaining a lawyer.
My insurance company totaled the car & paid off the lease but I had put a large deposit on it to get the payments where she could afford them & now I'm out that money. I went to the dealer who I have in the past purchased or leased 9 jeeps from & they politely told me they could or would not give me any kind of deal or a break on another car. I am now selling my wife's Jeep Compass & am through with anything Chrysler because of this lousey , arrogent & rude service. My next step is to get in touch with "Channel 5 Alive" & see if they are interested in publishing the story. Like i said in an earlier post I could not find any record of this happening to anyone else in a Patriot but there was one other fire report on a Jeep Compass which I am told has the same basic chassis & fuel tank setup. I could have written that report as it all played out the same way. I wonder if I am the first of many to report this type of incident so please be aware & cautious.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I sure would like to know why Chrysler (and their idiotic dealer) keeps saying it was accident related. WHAT accident?! It.Just.Caught.Fire. Period.
For it to be accident related, wouldn't there have to have been an accident in the first place?? Gawd what morons..

·
Registered
237 Posts
This irritates me. I can't belive they won't bend over backwards to get you back into another Jeep...seeing that you're a loyal customer. The world is full of what-ifs...but if your daughter had gotten hurt, or GOD FORBID, killed...at a fault of the manufacturer...the liability of Chrysler would've been astronomical.

Definitely get legal council...they should be kissing your butt!!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Holy cow, glad everyone is ok! As far as having a fire extinguisher... I'm friends with some firefighters and they tell me that they laugh that people carry those small dinky extinguishers in their jeeps or rice burners. They tell me it couldn't do any good and that if you're getting as close to a serious car fire as you would have to with one of those things, you're gonna get seriously hurt. I figure, if it is electrical, pull over, shut off the car, and get the heck out! We do the same thing in Cessna's (land first) but shut off all electrical equipment. Once on the ground, get out and run like hell! The thing is insured, why risk your life? Your child did the right thing, but you don't need me to tell you that:)

·
Obsessive Jeep Girl!
310 Posts
This is completely horrific. I am speechless, actually. Reading this post makes me want to boycott Chrysler along with you. The way they have been treating you is unbelievably absurd. Who at Chrysler exactly were you speaking to??

Seeing as I have my own 2007 Patriot with 20k miles on it I'm extremely worried that this same thing could happen to me. And if it does, AND if I get out okay, it looks like Chrysler isn't even going to give a f*&%k.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I see the ambulance chasing lawyers on tv I think they are not very ethical and the settlements they get are absurd, but when I read a story like this I would be the first one looking for just that type of attorney, don't let Chrysler get away from this, even if they are not directly responsible even though from your postings it sure seems that they are, the certainaly share some blame, reminds me of the Ford stories about the cruise control stalks catching vehicles on fires and for 10 years Ford denied it

Bob

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Go for the News! In Indianapolis, Raphael Sanchez with Channel 6 goes after stuff like that and does a great job. I'd definitely take that angle! I'd be so mad/upset if a customer service rep told me I couldn't speak to their manager. I'd be on the phone asking to talk to the dealer owner and Chrysler district/Regional VP (I assume you did this). Get that lawyer and apply the pressure. I can't believe that Chrysler wouldn't want to know if this wasn't something that could happen to all their vehicles! Who exactly ruled it an "accident"? I can see it being an accident, but it's all about who is at fault for the accident. Obviously Chrysler could be at fault. How is it possible that you can't get a hold of an investigation report? This makes me upset for you! I feel like we live in China all of a sudden!

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Holy cow, glad everyone is ok! As far as having a fire extinguisher... I'm friends with some firefighters and they tell me that they laugh that people carry those small dinky extinguishers in their jeeps or rice burners. They tell me it couldn't do any good and that if you're getting as close to a serious car fire as you would have to with one of those things, you're gonna get seriously hurt.
If it is a serious fire, they are right but I spent 27 1/2 years on the FD and I can attest that those "dinky" extinguishers work. I've seen it countless times.
I lost count of how many times we pulled up with our truck on a reported vehicle fire only to find a cop or state trooper had already put the fire out before we got there.

In the instance of this thread, I agree that when she saw flames-and she had kids with her- she absolutely did the right thing. But let's not go and tell people that those extinguishers are useless because that's flat wrong.

Maybe those who can't use them properly should get training on one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Still no satisfaction from Chrysler

Here's the update on what happened after the fire, The next day, Monday July 14, I called the car dealer & asked for advice on who to call at Chrysler to report the fire & he gave me the number for “Chrysler Customer Assistance, 1-800-992-1997. I called them & after getting bumped around all over the world I spoke to an agent Who took the information down & assigned it a case # 123xxxx etc
I then called my ins co & spoke to the agent who got the case, . who stated that they would get the car & bring it to their lot & do an inspection. They did the inspection & totaled the car. the insurance company had a fire investigator inspect the car & his results were inconclusive as he could not determine the ignition source or even where in the car the fire started.

I have tried to get some satisfaction from Chrysler but have been again bumped around all over the world. They refuse to accept responsibility for the fire & have been rude on the phone. I have asked for a copy of their fire investigators report & was refused. I then asked to speak to a supervisor in their legal dept. & was refused. One of there agents insisted the fire was caused by an accident & when I told her there was no accident she said “ well you must have hit something on the road” I told her that nothing was hit & she got rude. I asked for a copy of their inspectors report & was rudely refused. I then asked to speak to their legal dept & she said that this was their legal dept.. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she refused. I told her I was going to get a lawyer & she said to do it.

We have gotten phone calls & late notices from Chrysler Financial even after they were notified of the fire & complete loss of the car. They have since been paid by the Insurance Company & hopefully that will stop.
Thursday we received a letter from them saying I owe $500.00 for
“Non-Taxable Miscellaneous Charges” which I interpret as a breaking the lease fee. I tried to call them but once again I got forwarded around the world & never got to the person who “ Will take care of that”

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son was parked next to a 2010 Jeep Compass in a Walmart parking lot yesterday. The Jeep blew up and caused damage to my son’s 2009 Toyota Camry as well as another vehicle. I was told by Liberty Mutual(insured the blown up vehicle) that they have no liability because the fire was not started intentionally, so now we are stuck with the damage caused by the Jeep Compass! So frustrating!! Thankful no one was hurt!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts