Jeep Patriot Forums banner

filling up

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Belveder 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that when filling up their pat the pump seems to cut out as if the tank was full. I seem to be having this issue more then in other cars. for instance last night my tank was on E and i only put in 20$ because to kept on shutting off. Any thoughts??? or tips on how to stop this.

#2 ·
Have you tried fueling with the nozzle not at its fullest flow setting. When you squeeze the handle there is usually (not always) ways of locking the flow handle to a level where the gas flows slower.

What may be happening is that because of the speed in which the fuel is entering the tank, air pressure is building up and fooling the automatic cutoff function on the handle.

#4 ·
Yep, on certain pump, mine does it too. It might be a really fast pump, after the first shut-off, try only squeezing the pump handle halfway. Also, I've found rotating the pump handle helps sometimes.

#5 ·
With a fast pump fuel fuel goes into the filler pipe faster than it can drain into the tank. Especially once enough fuel gets into the tank to cover the filler pipe opening. The trapped air can't come up the filler pipe and the vent hose on the tank really isn't very big, and most like has to feed through one of those emission canisters. Wait a few seconds for the fuel to drain down the filler pipe and start again.

#6 ·
I bet this is a pump thing rather than a Patriot thing. There's a pump in one garage (gas station) near me that I never use just because of this. I'd say that, if I gave it the chance, it'd click off thirty, maybe fifty times in a complete fill up. Other pumps don't do that; this one's just too sensitive.

Rocal

#8 ·
it depends

Yes,I I understand,I've driven Ford Taurus and that car will shut off the pump at least couple of gallons too early.It as well depends on the gas station.I've noticed that most of Shell stations have a very high pressure pumps and so it will shut off too early where Esso pumps tend to allow you to regulate the pressure released by the pump nozzle.The only reason I pump at Shell is to collect air miles and until recently they were one of the last big ones who offered free air pumps.Last month all the free air pumps disappeared and now they ask for 50 cents.I think it wasn't a smart business move.They lost lots of my business but they are all too cheap to see further beyond the horizon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.