1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
308 Posts
This will be an interesting merger if it does happen. Mitsubishi may gain the most if it happens. Mitshu has problems across their line and with increased access to technology and platforms may be able to grow. Recently I read where the question was posed to a Mitshu top dog on if the company may pull out of North America. He said he doesn't see that happening, but the thought of that question being asked has to be troubling to Mitshu.

·
8,024 Posts
AMC bought Hudson and Hudson disappeared. Chrysler bought AMC and AMC disappeared. Daimler bought Chrysler and Chrysler virtually disappeared. Fiat bought Chrysler and our Jeeps are now Fiats with a Jeep badge.

Come to think of it Renault practically owned Jeep once before. They owned a large stake in AMC when AMC owned Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe Jeep and Dodge will be sold off..
https://www.barrons.com/articles/fiat-chrysler-renault-merge-jeep-51559054686

“[The impact on] North America would depend on future integration with Nissan,” explained Seaport Global analyst Mike Ward to Barron’s. “It’ll be interesting to see if the U.S. assets remain with the new company. Jeep and Dodge are probably worth a lot more on their own and away from the combined entity.”

·
8,024 Posts
Barron's: "Fiat’s news release said that no manufacturing plants were slated to be closed." ROFLOL!

The purpose of every merger is to increase scale and decrease costs. Best way to decrease costs are (payroll = personnel) and eliminate redundancy (factories + offices = personnel).

My revised version of the merger announcement: "There will be ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES except for personnel, products, policies, and production."

Jeep would sell to someone in a heartbeat. Dodge not so quickly. Who needs RAM? Everybody else already has a pick-up truck division. Chryslers aren't exactly flying off the lots these days so I can't imagine a long line of suitors for that brand either.

Jeep would only survive as a stand-alone brand for a little while; without an economy of scale I doubt our well-loved brand is sustainable. Thirty years ago AMC realized they couldn't survive with a single brand of cars plus Jeep. Dodge/Jeep are in no better position to go it alone in this era. If giants like Fiat, Renault, Mitsubishi and Nissan are looking to increase their scale, Dodge/Jeep/Ram with Chrysler tossed in will still be puny by comparison.

I'd could stomach an American brand buying Jeep but who's left to do it? GM & Ford. I think they'd be interested.

In my wildest dream maybe Mahindra? They purchased the rights to Jeep from AMC (or maybe even from Kaiser) decades ago (Cf. ROXOR). Call me crazy but I think I'd like that possibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts