Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the real world how different is the gas mileage between these two? I have a Wrangler now and the fuel costs are about $250 a month and climbing. I want to grab a 2011 but I like the FD2 better because I do go offroad a little. However, I see photos and videos of FD1's doing about the kind of off-roading I'll be doing. Can you get aftermarket skid plates for the FD1? Also what is the "autostick"? Just an automatic? Thanks.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Get the FDII, you won't be disappointed and you won't have to spend a bunch of time and money adding the extra parts - some of which you cannot get aftermarket, like Hill Decent... You're looking at 20-21 city and 18-19 highway, depending on habits and speed - over 65 MPG plummets. On the other hand, off-road, you sip fuel...

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
As Dawson said get the FDII, its worth the extra money and the slight increase in fuel economy. Yes it gets less mileage than FDI's however it will be a huge increase from your wrangler, and if you talk money wise maybe a difference of 3-5$ per tank of gas vs a FDI.

If you drive nice and don't go over 65mph (I drive 60mph on the highway) you'll get great mileage.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
The Autostick is replaced by" L" in the FD2 CVT , its a low range crawler ratio. Autostick in the FD1 CVT allows you to click up & down the CVT box through 6 predetermined set ratios just like a Manual box. However the 1st gear in FD1 , is not as low as" L "in FD2. You only have L & D for forward drive in FD2.

Autostick is known as "tiptronic " by other auto makers ( amongst other names )

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I seem to be averaging around 24 MPG in my FDII, but I've seen others around 19, so not sure what yours would be. I think they raised the MPG ratings for 2011 too.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
I"m getting around 25-26mpg with my patriot and i do mainly highway driving now, but its all how you drive it. If you are nice with the cvt and keep the rpms under 2000 you can get nearly the same mileage in the city as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am now officially confused. When I bought my Pat, the dealer didn't really know a whole lot about it, and I was anxious to get out of my SRT 4 with Winter approaching (that car was great in the summer...not so much once the snow started). I did some research with the VIN and figured it to be a FD I. I don't have the autostick, but it does have a low gear, although it's not shown on the trim plate for the shifter, I can go down to it, and it shows on the display as low gear. does this mean I have the FD II? Its an 07 Sport. Is there any way to tell?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
2007 FDI models did not have the autostick. They only had the L range. 2008 and newer models got the autostick. For the 2007 model, just look for the skid plates and tow hooks to see if you have a FDII.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
^^^ What he said ^^^

Check for the trail rated badge in front of the driver's door.
Check for tow hooks
Check for skid plates

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's what I originally thought then.

Trail Rated Badge....Nope
Tow Hooks...Nope
Skid plates....Not reall, just some plastic covering (not what I would consider a real skid plate)

All this equals FD I

Thanks for confirming this.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
On my FDII i get about 20mpg's average
few spikes more and less but overall about 20 mpg,

i would consider FDII as rather have its options on few occassions they are used than not have them when needed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts