Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling the need to vent and seek advice for a little EZ Pass snafu I'm involved in...

I check my credit card statement online this morning and notice that my EZ Pass charge (which automatically replenishes) is looking a higher than usual and for some reason went through twice during this billing cycle. Confused, I check my EZ Pass account online and notice that I've been billed for crossing a number of bridges and toll roads that I haven't been on in the longest time. Every day, I'm incurring a charge for $4 even though I take a completely different route to work.

So I look up the tag number, and it's an old tag that I believe to have accidentally left in a vehicle that I had sold back in April or May. Back when I sold the vehicle and could not locate the transponder, I went to my EZ Pass account and removed the 1996 Grand Cherokee from my list of vehicles associated with my plan. I figured, problem solved.

So months went by and there we no charges. But now that I look back on my tag history, between August 8th and today, I've racked up an additional $288.50 in charges to a tag that is not in my possession. I immediately contact EZ Pass and their claim is that since I did not report the tag missing or stolen (which you are charged $21 for doing), I am liable for all the charges despite the vehicle 1) Clearly not being listed on my plan and 2) not registered/insured/licensed under my name or associated with my account in any way.

So I ask... Why do I even list my license plate number and make/model of vehicle on the account if ANYONE can use the pass in ANY car?

I'm going to continue to fight the charges as I'm pretty sure I kept a bill of sale from the vehicle. At the very least I will be going to DMV to figure out if they can identify the exact date I traded in the plates and if they can tell me who the next person to register the vehicle was. A trip to the police station is likely as well... Certainly not how I wanted to start a Monday morning!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
unfortunately they are in the "right" . just because you update your vehicle information doesn't mean it deactivates that other EZ-Pass. when you drive through the toll lane it doesn't read your EZ-Pass and snapshot your plates to make sure the record matches. this is how people are able to borrow each others EZ-Passes for road trips (i bring my EZ pass along all the time).

you should have reported it lost/stolen. good luck fighting with them, you'll lose miserably trying to pry through the bureaucracy stone walls (dozens of them i might add)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good Luck I've used the toll road 4 days a week for the last 3 yrs. $3.50 a day and have always used exact change, its a little annoying but worth it to avoid crap like this plus the monthly charge, deposit, and fee for the window tag. Good Luck Gaze.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bigger concern is trying to catch the guy who's been using my tag. EZ Pass all but admitted to me on the phone that they really don't care about theft as long as they get paid.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My bigger concern is trying to catch the guy who's been using my tag. EZ Pass all but admitted to me on the phone that they really don't care about theft as long as they get paid.
Don't you have the name, address, and phone number of the guy you sold it too?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I'm not an EZ-Pass user so this may be a dumb question, but can't you have it deactivated ?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
ouch

feel your pain,
one of the reasons i NEVER went with CC replenishment,
I pay by check,
if its under because what your experiencing, wont go through,
most i can lose is what?$25-$50 or so
they are right that removing the vehicle from your list is not the same as deactivating the tag,
i would deactivate the tag, and dont report it lost, report it stolen,
see if they have a fraud division that can investigate,

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just to play devils advocate, if you couldn't find the transponder how do you know the current owner even knows it's there? They may be paying tolls never realizing it's being paid twice.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EZ Pass claims to have a failsafe against charging the toll twice, however...

Good news, the guy emailed me today since he could not go through the EZ Pass lane after I canceled it. He swapped vehicles again and didn't realize that the Jeep pass wasn't his work one. So he emailed me and offered to reimburse me.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
EZ Pass claims to have a failsafe against charging the toll twice, however...

Good news, the guy emailed me today since he could not go through the EZ Pass lane after I canceled it. He swapped vehicles again and didn't realize that the Jeep pass wasn't his work one. So he emailed me and offered to reimburse me.

OMG.....you mean there ARE still "Honest People" in this world? will wonders never cease.

great news...........guess in the future ANYONE having an EZ Pass and selling a vehicle may need to contact EZ Pass either "in person" or by phone and get it cancelled. apparently doing it 'online' amounts to donkey dung.

Good Luck with your reimbursment! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
the guy is agreeing to pay you since he is committing a criminal act (even if he wasn't aware of it). in fact, he would be committing fraud not only in the state in which your responder was issued (KY) but in every state within the IAG (EZ-Pass Inter-Agency Group) that he used it in.

he knows what would happen to him if he didn't give you the money lol. THIS -->> :dead_horse:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts