Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i strongly recommend to everyone to purchase extended warranty. you can only purchase before 48K mile on your pat. it also covers all MANUAL CLUTCH parts, which are not covered even in basic warranty. i just had clutch issue at 48500 mile, cost me $900, dealer is still trying to fix it after 8 hrs. i wish i had extnded warranty, i missed it by only 500 miles. so go get it, YOU WILL NEED IT.
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226775#post226775

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
in most cases, the extended warranty is a rip-off. you would do better taking that money and sticking it in a 3-yr CD at 3%-5% interest. that way, when it matures, your factory warranty will be over and you will have a really nice sum of cash for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in most cases, the extended warranty is a rip-off. you would do better taking that money and sticking it in a 3-yr CD at 3%-5% interest. that way, when it matures, your factory warranty will be over and you will have a really nice sum of cash for warranty repairs.
i will have to disagree my friend. the pat extended warranty cost is under $1900. if you purchase warranty after 36k miles but before 48k mile, and drive your pat about 100k in total 7 years, and have repairs of about $3000 or $4000, there is no way you can match up with investing same in 3% or 5% cd, and don't forget you will have to break the CD when you need it and pay fine to get that much return.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
I cant see ANY! type of warranty including Clurches & brake parts after 24 months.Some people are so heavy on these items , their cars would be in the workshop every month.

My sis -in -law has burned out 5 clutches in 3 yrs on her VW Golf.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant see ANY! type of warranty including Clurches & brake parts after 24 months.Some people are so heavy on these items , their cars would be in the workshop every month.

My sis -in -law has burned out 5 clutches in 3 yrs on her VW Golf.
followinng is covered in extended warranty "transmission" part only, for full coverage detai http://www.jeep.com/en/service_contracts/maximum_care/new_vehicles/index.html

Automatic

Automatic Transmission Case and All Internal Parts

Drive/Flex Plate

Seals and Gaskets

Torque Converter

Transmission Control Module

Transmission Cooler, Hoses, Lines

Transmission Oil Pan

Transmission Range Switch

Transmission Shifter Interlock Solenoid

CVT

Continuously Variable Transmission and All Internal Parts

CVT Belt

CVT Neutral, Safety, Backup Switch

Forward and Reverse Clutch

Input Speed Sensor

Output Speed Sensor

Planetary Gearset

Primary Variator

Seals and Gaskets

Secondary Variator

Manual

Bell Housing

Clutch Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir Hose

Clutch Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir

Clutch Hydraulic Tube

Clutch Master Cylinder

Clutch Release Cable

Clutch Release Fork

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Gear Shift Lever Assembly

Gear Shift Linkage

Manual Transmission Case and All Internal Parts

Seals and Gaskets

Shifter Lock Cable

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i will have to disagree my friend. the pat extended warranty cost is under $1900. if you purchase warranty after 36k miles but before 48k mile, and drive your pat about 100k in total 7 years, and have repairs of about $3000 or $4000, there is no way you can match up with investing same in 3% or 5% cd, and don't forget you will have to break the CD when you need it and pay fine to get that much return.
$4,000 in clutch repairs before 100K miles? you shouldn't be going through that much in clutch repairs before 100K miles.

if this guy can't fix it within 8 hours and your total bill is already at $900, that is probably a sign that you went to the wrong shop. it pays to shop around for repairs and i would say your #1 mistake was going to a dealership for out of warranty work. they are the biggest rip-off when it comes to any repair or service once the vehicle is out of warranty. this is where they make the majority of their profits...not from warranty work where the compensation from the Chrysler Corp is diddly-squat...similar to Medicare Reimbursement.

you would have been better off taking your Jeep to the friendly neighborhood shop where they don't overprice everything and use fear tactics to make you pay thousands of dollars in repairs. use the dealership for warranty work, then shop around elsewhere after that. if you do that, you will find that the extended warranty is pointless and you are overpaying. also, you will get better quality aftermarket parts from the neighborhood shops that will actually last. i used to get my Civic's brakes from the dealership while it was in warranty (i didn't want to give Honda Motor Corp any excuse to deny a warranty claim). well, i was burning through brake pads once a year and my rotors warped every 2 years and needed resurfacing. once my Civic was out of warranty, i stopped going to the dealership and i put in my own brakes and a new set of rotors. i haven't changed my brake pads or even needed rotors resurfaced or replaced since the end of 2007 and i have put over 48,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I got a discounted extended warranty at purchase. A first I would not budge but they kept dropping prices... So far I got 2-day rental out of it and no hassles from the sop having to spend hose 2 days discovering a dirty electronic throttle body was a SECONDARY culprit of engine issues I was having. Te mechanics cleaned it and even cleaned out my K&N filter (most of them have K&Ns in thier Jeeps and trucks), they understand- It's a Jeep thing, lol. The only harsh thign they coud say was a suggestion to clean them out every 20K because te 50k cleaning K&N suggests it too far in a real world environment.

Even though I'm still under factory bumper-2-bumper and lifetime powertrain warranties, we all know that after a few years a couple things break and cost a grand or so to fix. In those cases, it's not worth passing up a $700 (in my case) warranty extension for 7y/100k miles since I plan on keeping this thing until the engine falls out of the engine bay, and then some if it's still covered, ha ha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$4,000 in clutch repairs before 100K miles? you shouldn't be going through that much in clutch repairs before 100K miles.

if this guy can't fix it within 8 hours and your total bill is already at $900, that is probably a sign that you went to the wrong shop. it pays to shop around for repairs and i would say your #1 mistake was going to a dealership for out of warranty work. they are the biggest rip-off when it comes to any repair or service once the vehicle is out of warranty. this is where they make the majority of their profits...not from warranty work where the compensation from the Chrysler Corp is diddly-squat...similar to Medicare Reimbursement.

you would have been better off taking your Jeep to the friendly neighborhood shop where they don't overprice everything and use fear tactics to make you pay thousands of dollars in repairs. use the dealership for warranty work, then shop around elsewhere after that. if you do that, you will find that the extended warranty is pointless and you are overpaying. also, you will get better quality aftermarket parts from the neighborhood shops that will actually last. i used to get my Civic's brakes from the dealership while it was in warranty (i didn't want to give Honda Motor Corp any excuse to deny a warranty claim). well, i was burning through brake pads once a year and my rotors warped every 2 years and needed resurfacing. once my Civic was out of warranty, i stopped going to the dealership and i put in my own brakes and a new set of rotors. i haven't changed my brake pads or even needed rotors resurfaced or replaced since the end of 2007 and i have put over 48,000 miles on them.
Pat is not made by Honda. I drove my saturn sl 150k miles without any reparing and 3 brakes changes in local shop. On saturn, i didn't spent any money on reparing or maintainnace except oil change, brakes, and air filter. Pat is not same as honda or saturn or toyota or ford. i agree might have made mistake by going to dealer, but i called around, no one had any idea about Pats CLUTCH master cylinder assembly. Now anyone here in this forum even knows where clutch master cylinder located in Pat? It's not an easy answer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe it's already been stated that the clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder are one and the same. Easy answer.

·
Annoying Member
742 Posts
I got the lifetime coverage with a $100 deductable. the most my Patriot will ever cost to repair is $100, yes it added $2400 to the sale price but it should pay for itself should something major go out. Plus It covers the entire vehicle not just the drivetrain. I suggest it as well. The coverage I got was only available by Chrysler for 2009 models.

·
Banned
87 Posts
extended warranty? Is that for real? I think it depends on the company where you bought some jeeps or cars you like? There's a time warranty for it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts