Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thanks for keeping this forum up and going. I like seeing the number of active users.

Just got a 2015 2.4L Jeep Patriot Sport and am ready to get started making this thing look and feel right.

Never been a Jeep owner but ready to be away from my 17 yr old BMW. Ready to sit up higher and even get some light off roading done :smile2:

I do have one starter question (that may not be good for newbie check-in and may need another thread started). This is just a question that I haven't yet encountered never having to switch rims on any vehicle I have had. My Pat came with the 16 in steelies. I want to upgrade to the factory 17 alloys and also get bigger tires on (without over doing it). I would imagine, from years of being a shadetree mechanic, that adding these items would cause speedometer, odometer, and even possible tranny and other issues. Anyone who has changed this stuff out, can you point me in the right direction or perhaps to a thread that has some info on this already?

Looking forward to being an active member as I have been on this everyday for the last week patrolling this forum for all sorts of mods and you all have got me very excited to get started.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts

·
8,432 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it and find all the info you need.

As for changing wheel/tire sizes, if you have a Garmin, mine shows my speed. Right now I'm running slightly undersized snow tires (215/65/16) and the speedometer shows about 1-2 mph faster than I'm actually going at highway speeds. Just as well, it keeps me out of trouble with the troopers. Under 40mph the difference is negligible.

If you want to investigate further you can search online for a "tire size calculator." There are several that will show you the difference in height, width, RPMs/mile and give you the speedometer error in %.

·
8,432 Posts
One more thing. A lot of the folks on here report that there is a greater variety of 16" tires than 17". Both our Patriots are 16" so I can't verify from personal experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello!!
I'm a newbie around here too, my first idea was for bigger tires also! I just bought my 2007 Patriot, used, a couple weeks back and hope to work on it a bit when summer roles around (I'm a teacher). The first thing I wanted to do was a 2 inch lift and a little more aggressive tire. It shall have to wait though, as I seem to have an electrical problem that needs to be remedied first. Ignatz here has given me great info on it and hopefully I can get started on that fix next paycheck!
Stick around, even though the site isn't as active as some I have seen, it is still going strong and has plenty of people around that are very helpful and friendly!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great posts all, you have been most helpful. I am happy to see that there is community here :) I think the bigger question with tires and Speedo issues is how much can I do without completely killing my warranty. You know... if the tranny goes and I have special tires on it.. they could potentially argue that I have thrown the speedo and odo off and the functioning of the tranny has been altered... and that voids me (they could argue... although I am not sure how successful they would be)

@Sandstone - Thanks for that thread! I hadn't found that one yet.
@Riotous - Good to see we have another Alabamian as well. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Sandstone - Do you know what the tallest 16" tire is that can be set by the dealer (like you mentioned above for 17")? As of right now, I can't afford new rims so I just have to find the best 16" A/T I can get that I can have the settings correct. My fronts are going bald and I am trying to use this as a good time to just do all 4 before the winter.

·
8,432 Posts
@Sandstone - Do you know what the tallest 16" tire is that can be set by the dealer (like you mentioned above for 17")? As of right now, I can't afford new rims so I just have to find the best 16" A/T I can get that I can have the settings correct. My fronts are going bald and I am trying to use this as a good time to just do all 4 before the winter.
Our friends at Discount Tire have a tire size calculator. Also if you enter the year, make and model it will give you optional tire sizes that they say will fit. They are reputable and a site sponsor so please give them a shot. From other posts I gather they are running a special on OEM Duratreks presently.

I'm running 225/75-16s right now and frankly they are too big. Sitting still they're fine, but I get a slight rub with any body lean. I'm a pretty easy driver so I'm getting away with it, but I'd not advise anyone to run those. Before I put them on I asked my dealer specifically about the warrany (I have the lifetime warranty) and she said it wouldn't be an issue. However, I do have a significant speedometer error -- about 4mph at highway speeds. I go by my Garmin that usually shows 4 mph less than the speedometer.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Off the top, no I don't. I think someone once posted all the available tire sizes the starscan tool had, but I don't remember where.

The biggest factory tire size for a Patriot is the 215-65-17 which is 28", so any 16" tire that's around 28" should work (e.g. 235/65R16C) with the 215-65-17 tire setting from the dealer as far as the speed-o is concerned. The only problem is finding a tire you like in that size.

There's the 215/70R16 which is 27.85", and has a fairly good selection of A/T tires.
There's also the 235/70R16 is about 29" and also has a good selection of A/T tires.

As pointed out, if you go with a larger tire than 28" you may have a speedometer error, but you can use a gps or something like a scangauge or an app like torque.

You also may have problems with rubbing depending on the tire width and the offset of the rims.
If you know the rim specs, you can plug them and the tire you want to upgrade to into this simulator and it will give you a good idea what to expect vs your stock size:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I run 29" tires with the 215-65-17 setting and use a scan gauge, it works pretty well. I also haven't had any issues with the larger tires causing problems with the ABS.

And yes, Discount Tire has an offering on Goodyear tires and especially Duratracs. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts