Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2014 patriot has developed the evap code p0456 at about 101,000 miles. In the nature of full disclosure it was two quotes low on oil. I know the evap system has no bearing on oil/lubrication system.

So now I have to get this cleared up by the end of the mouth. The NYS inspection is due. In my research it can be attributed to the gas cap or the purge take or canister. I can start with replacing the fuel cap, however I am not sure if that is the root cause. There is a ridge of rust developing on leading edge of the filler neck.

I think my plan is as follows.
Smear some petroleum jelly around the seal of the fuel cap. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the gas cap.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of that. I wanted to test it first. I couldn't figure out how to actuate it. I figured I could remove it and try the blow test.

I couldn't find a 2014 diagram on BBBMotor. I found one for a 2013. It looks like both leads for the purge solenoid go to the PCM. So I am not sure which is hot and ground. I will have to get a test light to figure out the polarity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So odd. I found the purge valve.

Once the rain stops I'll pull it and see what condition it is in. The light went out but the code remains. Isn't that odd. The Mil went out after I dropped the hood.

Maybe the purge valve is ready to go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Purge valve holds vacuum. Need to test the vent and the lines next. Screenshot_20190509-193101_Gallery.jpg

It lost two ticks of inHg over the course of 5 minutes. I have to check the specs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I might take it to a shop and get it smoke tested. However, I think without more sophisticated tools, I think I might be chasing my tail.

The best thing to I have is an OBDLink MX. I don't think that is enough to trigger the respective tests. My purge seems to be holding vacuum. I am not brave enough to just put 12v on the leads. I think the canister vent is 12 volt controled. That could be the next test.

The Mil has gone out, and the p0456 code remains, also the fuel system is not in a ready state.
I am not sure if I should pursue and it may just need to be driven under the right conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's the rust on the sealing surface of the neck, especially on the left where the weld seam is.
Take a flat surfaced block ( I have a 2 inch square marble tile ) wrap some fine sandpaper around it and polish up the neck surface till it's smooth again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the rust on the sealing surface of the neck, especially on the left where the weld seam is.

Take a flat surfaced block ( I have a 2 inch square marble tile ) wrap some fine sandpaper around it and polish up the neck surface till it's smooth again.
Like Emory cloth for copper pipe?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I ordered a new gas gap. I'm going to try that since I don't have any sand paper in stock.
We had a trip this weekend and none the incomplete tests ran. We will see if this helps while I get some sand paper

Other Chrysler owners claim it fixed for them in the reviews.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the cel has bee out for a few days. Even though tourqe reads that the system isn't ready. I'll get it inspected and we shall see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could someone tell me where the Purge Valve is located? I had my MIL come on and throw an EVAP code. My gas cap is fine so my next step is checking out the Purge Valve but I can't seem to find it on my 2010 Pat 2.4L. If someone could post a pic of the location or just point me in the right direction that would be great!! Thanks y'all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts