Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been referring to this forum for a while now for info about my Pat. I finally decided to join as I felt I could help people with a problem I had.

The ESP, BAS, Traction Control, and 4WD! lights were lighted on my dash for a while, sometimes turning on and off in the beginning, now staying on constantly. I read some other threads on possible reasons and heard about the corroded wiring splice in the driver's side kick panel. I went looking and found that I also had a corroded splice. I've attached pictures to show people where the splice was located on my Pat (08), since I never came across any photos in other threads showing where it was. I simply detached the battery, cut out the corroded part, stripped new wire and soldered them together. Once the car was turned back on the lights were out and stayed out (4WD was not engaging with the lights on but now works fine).

On a side note, all the splices along the floor wires are covered with looks to be hockey tape? I'm not sure why they didn't just just electrical tape or heat-shrink wraps...

Anyway, I hope this helps people in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for pictorial. For Euro models it always seems to be wheel sensor. In the export Pats they have wrapped up all those wires into a thick solid rope, and secured them off the floor onto the wall. In fact the splice may not be present. Happy to be corrected by CRD owners.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thanks for pictorial. For Euro models it always seems to be wheel sensor. In the export Pats they have wrapped up all those wires into a thick solid rope, and secured them off the floor onto the wall. In fact the splice may not be present. Happy to be corrected by CRD owners.
nope,i have to correct you.
splice is there on my 09 2.0 crd.
i had the issue and solved it.
wrapped the bunch in electric waterproof tape two years ago,no issues since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you good sir for the pictures so I don't have to rip the carpet out looking for this spot, this light issue is present in the 08 patriot i just picked up, used dealer told me It was low pressure in the tire but i checked here and my pressure to find out he is a Shifty Bugger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the exact same issue with mine, pictures are exactly what happened to mine. I used a wire nut to get the 4 wires together, then electrical tape, and voilà. Hopefully it will last another 11 years and a half.

Hey guys,

I've been referring to this forum for a while now for info about my Pat. I finally decided to join as I felt I could help people with a problem I had.

The ESP, BAS, Traction Control, and 4WD! lights were lighted on my dash for a while, sometimes turning on and off in the beginning, now staying on constantly. I read some other threads on possible reasons and heard about the corroded wiring splice in the driver's side kick panel. I went looking and found that I also had a corroded splice. I've attached pictures to show people where the splice was located on my Pat (08), since I never came across any photos in other threads showing where it was. I simply detached the battery, cut out the corroded part, stripped new wire and soldered them together. Once the car was turned back on the lights were out and stayed out (4WD was not engaging with the lights on but now works fine).

On a side note, all the splices along the floor wires are covered with looks to be hockey tape? I'm not sure why they didn't just just electrical tape or heat-shrink wraps...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have all except the 4wd light. They didn't come on until I removed the clock spring to replace it due to no cruise control. The clock spring I bought also didn't have a plug in for the angle sensor, so I reinstalled the old clock spring. The ESP BAS lights came on as well as the traction icon, which clears when I push the button twice, leaving the ESP BAS. My code reader isn't advanced enough to see steering codes, so I can't reset it. Since I unplugged it, does it require a reset, or did I screw up the clock spring? I removed it carefully so nothing would get out of line. I tried to find the proper clock spring by the part # on it. I only found used on Ebay. All the new ones listed are the wrong one.56046532AG is the one I need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I checked the splice shown in the pics today. All was good, but I cut and reconnected the splices with a butt connector, then taped it all. It made no difference, I still have the lights. I'm gonna take it to a friend's shop to see if his scanner will see the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

hey all. I have the same issue. I have just pulled apart my wires. Was wrapped in hockey tape. Here are pictures. Doesn’t look too bad but not really sure. Looking for opinions. Please see the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case, when i removed the cloth tape, the wires came apart (so they probably were touching themselves most of the time, but also randomly being just far enough for the sensors to trigger). In your case, the wires seem fine. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to simply cut them, rewire them and retape...

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my case, when i removed the cloth tape, the wires came apart (so they probably were touching themselves most of the time, but also randomly being just far enough for the sensors to trigger). In your case, the wires seem fine. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to simply cut them, rewire them and retape...
My problem is I have the 4 pink wires. Plus 2 additional pink wires also a pink wire coming from the back towards the front. I need to know what all get connected to each other or pocs. Some kind of help
Thx
SK

·
Administrator
7,875 Posts
My problem is I have the 4 pink wires. Plus 2 additional pink wires also a pink wire coming from the back towards the front. I need to know what all get connected to each other or pocs. Some kind of help
Thx
SK
In the pic below it appears the wire is pink with a tiny grey stripe (PK/GY).
Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Twig Wood

If so, perhaps these wires connect to the Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start) at C11, pin 4 of the TIPM and to the items below;

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cut the pink wires and put them together again. Nothing happened, but the 4WD! light si now on. Then I checked the four ABS sensors and found the rear right one broken. I found it fixed with silicone but it was no longer in its position. Maybe now I have more problems than the past days. I used a Bluetooth scanner and no codes were found. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
7,875 Posts
I cut the pink wires and put them together again. Nothing happened, but the 4WD! light si now on. Then I checked the four ABS sensors and found the rear right one broken. I found it fixed with silicone but it was no longer in its position. Maybe now I have more problems than the past days. I used a Bluetooth scanner and no codes were found. Any ideas?
Since you have a bluetooth adapter, if you want you can download the demo version of alfaobd, it will tell you all the codes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update. The ABS, ESP/BAS, traction control and 4WD! lights turned off yesterday, i didn't do anything but re do the splice on the famous pink wire loop . I drove to My job and after driving about 2 Miles the 4WD! Light started blinking, two minutes later the other three lights turned on. Hours later, leaving the parking lot, the lights went off again and minutes later, the traction control light started blinking and i Heard two noises: a "Tac, Tac" on the front wheels and something between the dash and the motor like if something was disconecting and conecting, the rpms went to 3000 and the Jeep was slow. After a minute, the ABS, ESP/BAS, traction control and 4WD! lights turned on again. Today I had the same cycle. Can be possible any other failure other than the speed sensor? The clockspring has anything to do here? Thanks for any help

1 - 20 of 28 Posts