Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2008 patriot 2.4l with 397k going into the shop. the famous p0420 was consistent for awhile and I ended up replacing the Cat. for the second time. The engine has intermittently and briefly sounded like it was going to scatter itself over the road. To me it sounded like it was loosing oil pressure dropping. After replacing the Cat. all codes cleared but still sounds like the mains are going and running poorly.

Could a bad Cat. cause such devastation to the engine?

The jeep still has the active lifetime drive train warranty. They want me to OK a $900 tear down on the engine so Chrysler can determine if this is a warranty repair. If they determine it to be my fault, the tear down cost is to me. I will then have a jeep in pieces and out of $900 toward repairs.

Should I pull out and just bring it home while it is still in one piece?

Any thoughts or info. is greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

·
8,357 Posts
First off, congratulations on reaching that many miles! Obviously you've taken good care of it. (y)

Sadly, I sold my Patriot with 100,000 fewer miles than yours, although it is still on the road and under a friend's ownership now. I still miss it.

I don't get where they charge you anything for a repair or diagnosis. That seems out of line. If they're tearing it down then it's obviously an internal problem and the warranty ought to cover.

No, I doubt the catcon would make the noises you describe. I've had a few fail over the years, but none on a Jeep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! Noise is from engine, not catcon. Literally like it was ready to splatter on the ground. Then sounds great at idle except on a cold start. Lethargic and noisy when going uphill. No new codes.

The warranty provisions say if the repair does not qualify under warranty then the estimate or tear down $900 in this case is my expense. Provisions say that if the repair exceeds its NADA market value, which is far less than a new engine through Chrysler they will buy out the contract and reimberse the tear down charged to me. Yes, the engine is under warranty but the team they send out will surely be looking for any reason to disqualify warranty coverage. However on that thought, at that point just the engine would be discluded from warranty. The rest of the drive train would still be covered unless they buy out the contract...Hmm, would still be out $900 with no engine.:oops:

·
8,357 Posts
My tranny failed at 110,000 and at 270,000. Neither time did my dealer suggest a tear-down charge. They diagnosed it, made the warranty claim, gave me a loaner to use while the repair was accomplished, and sent me smiling on my way.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The warranty I read states that it covers parts with defective materials and workmanship. Normal wear to things like rings and bearings at 397,000 miles does not seem like something they would warranty. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The warranty I read states that it covers parts with defective materials and workmanship. Normal wear to things like rings and bearings at 397,000 miles does not seem like something they would warranty. Am I wrong about this?
This is a lifetime, unlimited drive train warranty plus a paid for contract at purchase covering most everything not covered by the lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty at that time.

·
8,357 Posts
It's difficult to expect a company to guarantee that something will never wear out. That said, Jeep was desperate to stay in business in 2007-2009 and they were making promises they could only hope to be around to fulfill. I recall the US government promising to back the warranties if Chrysler filed. The warranties may have been pretty liberal since they were almost giving away cars and promising the world if only you would please, oh please, buy one of our cars!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2008 patriot 2.4l with 397k going into the shop. the famous p0420 was consistent for awhile and I ended up replacing the Cat. for the second time. The engine has intermittently and briefly sounded like it was going to scatter itself over the road. To me it sounded like it was loosing oil pressure dropping. After replacing the Cat. all codes cleared but still sounds like the mains are going and running poorly.

The jeep still has the active lifetime drive train warranty. They want me to OK a $900 tear down on the engine so Chrysler can determine if this is a warranty repair. If they determine it to be my fault, the tear down cost is to me. I will then have a jeep in pieces and out of $900 toward repairs.

[email protected]
Are you sure you have original owner a lifetime warranty ? Find all the paperwork and a different Dealer. I got a new engine when mine went bad at 135000 miles . Call the company .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

[email protected]
They will find worn rings, main and rod bearings as well as wrist pin bearings. I think they can easily state a case for a naturally worn out engine. Even if they find something like a cracked crank shaft, they will just deduct the cost of the shaft but still charge you for all the worn out parts and labor. I hate to be a wet blanket on this but nearly 400K miles, they already know mostly what they are going to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will find worn rings, main and rod bearings as well as wrist pin bearings. I think they can easily state a case for a naturally worn out engine. Even if they find something like a cracked crank shaft, they will just deduct the cost of the shaft but still charge you for all the worn out parts and labor. I hate to be a wet blanket on this but nearly 400K miles, they already know mostly what they are going to find.
Yes, they will either cover the repair or buy out the contract, which ever is least. If the cause of failure is my neglect (not), then only engine will be denied coverage but the remainder of the warranty stays intact. Of course I'll be out $900 and and have a dead Jeep, which would be sad after all I have done to keep it running.

The truth is... even with the lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty and the Chrysler lifetime warranty this Patriot has been the most expensive out of pocket, not counting the $2000 I paid for the additional warranty and it has the most down time of any vehicle I have ever owned and used with the same service. Its been in the shop this time for over two months...and most likely I will trailer it home.:cry:

And yes, I have tried 3 different dealers over the years. All poor service. Sorry for the negativity, just the fact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, they will either cover the repair or buy out the contract, which ever is least. If the cause of failure is my neglect (not), then only engine will be denied coverage but the remainder of the warranty stays intact. Of course I'll be out $900 and and have a dead Jeep, which would be sad after all I have done to keep it running.

The truth is... even with the lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty and the Chrysler lifetime warranty this Patriot has been the most expensive out of pocket, not counting the $2000 I paid for the additional warranty and it has the most down time of any vehicle I have ever owned and used with the same service. Its been in the shop this time for over two months...and most likely I will trailer it home.:cry:

And yes, I have tried 3 different dealers over the years. All poor service. Sorry for the negativity, just the fact.

I had a very loud knock, an obvious bearing. I gave proof of oil changes for the previous year and it was replaced.
I guess you could wait till it just stops .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

[email protected]
Matt, if you have a OBD2 scanner, plug it in and see what the computer says. I've had that P0420 Fault Code on ever since I bought this 2010 Patriot, 1 year ago this week. After fixing 2 grounding pigtails that had corroded wires & fixing one of the relays down in the relay box that's down in the front left corner next to the fender just in front of the left blinker/marker light. Then I cleared the codes and my Check Engine light has stayed off. All this time and it wasn't the cat, or a bad o2 sensors, just a bad ground (either in the ground pigtail across from the front lower engine pulley on the body, or one of the 2 ground pigtails that bolt onto the front clip just in front of the battery) or it was the one relay with a corroded connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts