Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2012 Patriot that I got in April 2018. It has 110,000 miles on it and about 5 months ago it started intermittently shutting off while I was driving. It happens mostly on hills and when pushing the gas after the break. Ive heard of other people having this problem but still don’t know what the cause is. I’ve taken it to a dealership to see if they can figure it out but they can’t get it to shut off and won’t replace anything unless they get it to turn off. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it could be?

·
Administrator
7,730 Posts
Others have had similar problems:

Were there any error codes stored? Sometimes a bad crank sensor can cause stalling.

One member claimed not topping of the fuel tank solved the problem:

"i had the same issues withit stalling ramdomly , but would start right back up

so took it to dealer (only 9000k) they asked me if , when i fill up with fulel do i try to top it off , well YES i do such a small fuel tank i want the most fuel i can get . well they told me that by topping the tank it causes some issue with thte return fuel from the engine ? i didnt belive them at all , so i tried it for last few months now NOT topping off the tank to the max , and long behold i havent had a single stall !
so if your having a issue with it randomly stalling , try not filling the tank all the way up and see if it helps , it did for me . have not had one single issue since then "

Not sure if this whats happening or not but since you have a 2012 it may apply:

Safety Recall N17 / NHTSA 13V-120
Fuel Tank Transfer Tube

MODELS
2012 (MK) Jeep Compass and Patriot
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (sales code ED3) and 4x4 (sales code 5I4) built from October 18, 2011 through May 07, 2012 (MDH 101821 through 050700).
SUBJECT
The fuel tank transfer tube on about 20,000 of the above vehicles may have been incorrectly manufactured. When the fuel transfer process becomes interrupted the vehicle is only operating on fuel from the primary side of the fuel tank. Sustained driving during this condition will deplete the fuel in the primary side of the fuel tank while fuel remains in the secondary side of the fuel tank. This could cause the engine to stall without warning under certain driving conditions and cause a crash without warning.
REPAIR
The fuel tank transfer tube located inside the fuel tank must be replaced.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have had my 2012 Patriot that I got in April 2018. It has 110,000 miles on it and about 5 months ago it started intermittently shutting off while I was driving. It happens mostly on hills and when pushing the gas after the break. Ive heard of other people having this problem but still don’t know what the cause is. I’ve taken it to a dealership to see if they can figure it out but they can’t get it to shut off and won’t replace anything unless they get it to turn off. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it could be?
Hi @Pmwjeepgirl,
We are sorry to hear that you are facing these concerns with your Jeep. If you decide to source a second opinion on this matter, feel free to reach out to us privately for additional support during your next dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2011 Compass has been doing the same for about a month now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own an 2011 Pat and had no issues with it until the other day. Like with you it just shut off while driving but cranked back up only it was showing the CHECK ENGINE light, I took it to the AutoZone and they did a computer check saw the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR was faulty. $17 later I installed mine after taking the breather cover out of the way. It is tucked down back, Bad news. But it only has one bolt holding it on, good news and and easy to remove cable connection. You can do it blindfolded because that is about how well you can see what you are doing. A bit of groping and feeling around you will find it by following its cable down behind the header heat shield. after you install you turn key to start position not on pump the gas pedal three times in a row everything's reset and clear. there are a couple of videos out there to help you find the location and unless you have a lift don't be tempted to jack it up and approach from beneath. it is behind one of the "A" frames knuckles so just take the time and remove the breather assembly and bend back the shielding down by the sensor. You will need an 10mm and 8mm to do the job I used a 1/4 inch ratchet because of the tight spot. remove the cable before trying to remove sensor by pinching in the top half and pulling straight out. Look at your new sensor to get an better idea how the sensors mounting bolt oriented. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you Pat suddenly shut off, then your check engine light comes on you might want to take it and have the computer read. In my case this turned out to be the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. These are not that hard to replace in the driveway but you have to work about blind fore the location of it First the location is down behind the engine between the headers heat shield. Looking at your motor the breather assembly on it's left there is a cable that runs down the back of the heat shield to the sensor. you will need an 10mm socket and an 8mm I used an 1/4 ratchet because it is a tight space. Follow the cable to the sensor then bend the heat shield bad out your way there is a 10mm bolt holding it so you might want to remove it for more room. Disconnect the cable before trying to remove sensor. once you have it all put back together then reset by turning key to the start position,but not on. pump the gas pedal three times say theres no place like home and it is all reset. PS you need to remove the breather assembly to better reach your job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts