Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am experiencing a strange issue, where my Patriot will shake/vibrate really bad when in drive and sitting idle (like at a red light with the foot on the brake). If I place it in park, neutral or start driving the heavy vibration goes away.

Anyone else having a similar issue, or have any insight? I have a 2007 Jeep Patriot Limited with about 70k miles.

Thanks!!! :pepper:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bad motor mount / tranmission mount bushings can cause this.

When the "rubber" (usually polyurethane) breaks down, it no longer dampens engine vibration. So at low speeds you really feel the pistons going up and down.

When you go faster, the frequency of the vibration is higher and not as noticeable and/or the engine might twist and put pressure on the side of the bushing that hasn't gone away and it gets dampened.

My mom has a 1993 Honda accord with 180k miles on it. Sitting still the steering wheel vibrates up and down about 1 inch and rattles her keys.

·
Life Long Jeeper
370 Posts
ck,
it might be that your pushing way too much torque and hp like a little patriot jet :)

like stone said its probably a mount, when its in park or neutral there is very little torque on the drivetrain, but in gear the engine and trans want to go go go hense the shaking.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the exact same issue. when i am at the light and I let off the brakes, it vibrates like hell. It feels like its form the back. Muffler area.. but as soon as a hit the gas it goes away, or even just tap the gas like 1cm and its gone.. Its also not there when the brakes are held down.

I notice it more on a hill. Esp when the cars hot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bad motor mount / tranmission mount bushings can cause this.

When the "rubber" (usually polyurethane) breaks down, it no longer dampens engine vibration. So at low speeds you really feel the pistons going up and down.

When you go faster, the frequency of the vibration is higher and not as noticeable and/or the engine might twist and put pressure on the side of the bushing that hasn't gone away and it gets dampened.

My mom has a 1993 Honda accord with 180k miles on it. Sitting still the steering wheel vibrates up and down about 1 inch and rattles her keys.
Had the same problem and it was due to a bad engine mount. The rubber thing did breakdown and i can feel the engine vibration.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi! I have the exact same problem with my 2010 FDII with about 20 000km.

Had a run with the dealer, they told it was normal (even though I know it's not). Engine already stalled at a red light after rough idling.

They checked mounts, everything was fine. They check codes for errors, everything was fine.

I have to live with that. Even my girlfriend noticed it was vibrating at idle, and she's not a mechanic at all!!

Anyway, if you get some answers, I'd like to have some feedback please!

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for my english, I talk french!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would try removing the air cleaner assembly and spray/wipe the throttle body really good. My jeep wrangler had this issue until i cleaned the TB. Before I did this, the mirror was shaking like crazy. Afterward it was completely still

injector cleaner doesn't work if it gets really bad.. you have to spray directly in the intake and let the engine burn off the stuff. Mo - if your car is stalling, this is a SURE SIGN of dirty intake

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the same problem. Jeep started to have a heavy vibration while stopped in drive about 5000 km ago. Went through a lot of premium injector cleaner to no avail.

I dropped the vehicle off on Monday with a list of issues to look at.

Just got the vehicle back from the dealer today and the tech stated on my invoice that the vibration is normal. I'm at 36000 km. I told them if it shook like that during the test drive I would never have bought it. It's completely unacceptable to me but I'm not sure what my next step is.

I should add that it's smooth in neutral and reverse, but in drive and especially in Low with the diff lock engaged it's pretty intense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I should add that it's smooth in neutral and reverse, but in drive
Have you stolen my jeep? haha just kidding...

Seems like we're in the same situation, and I too was told this vibration is normal.

and especially in Low with the diff lock engaged it's pretty intense.
Though, this is normal. The rpm go up while in 4x4 Lock and in low range. This is related to the computer programming for off-road situation.

BTW, I'm at about 30 000km

Best Regards

·
Registered
727 Posts
So I went back and asked for the service manager. I asked him to sit in the vehicle and place it in drive with his foot on the brake. I then asked him to notice the mirrors and bug deflector that were shaking and to feel the steering wheel. He acknowledged that there is an issue and will have the powertrain tech investigate on Friday. I mentioned motor mounts and he mentioned torque converter. We'll see what the tech says.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When was the las time you changed spark plugs in your jeep? i would start there and get them to check for a bad coil while there at it. A bad coil will cause a fowl spark at idle or under load, all depends how bad it is. The plugs should be changed every 40,000k on patriots. cleaning the throttle body will help a little but wouldn't cause the problem your describing. Motor mounts are unlikely as well. I have a 2007 as well with 170,000k on it and there is nothing wrong with mine.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Actually the owners manual says every 30k miles for the spark plugs. Are you getting a check engine light? Usually it will throw some misfire codes. We had one member that was getting a 0302 code, misfire cylinder #2. He had the techs swap the coils with #1 and reset the code. It threw 0302 again so they then swapped the injector and the code changed to 0301, misfire #1. So they plopped a new injector in.

My first steps would be to check/change the spark plugs, engine oil, air filter and dose it with fuel injector cleaner. Then check the motor mounts. Sometimes they can harden and compress too, causing more vibration to be transmitted to the chassis.

·
Registered
727 Posts
They've had the vehicle since Monday. Came home to an answering machine message tonight saying I need a new trans and it's back-ordered. Have to call tomorrow for an eta :(

·
Registered
727 Posts
Still no eta on the transmission. I raised hell last Friday when I called and they told me they still had no loaner vehicle for me, even though my vehicle had been out of service since Oct. 3rd . A call to Chrysler Canada had the dealer calling me an hour later to pick up a 2010 Dodge Journey.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts