Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot, 2.4L, 6 speed auto transmission
44 Posts
Exactly one year ago, I became the proud owner of a 2017 Jeep Patriot (Latitude, 4x4, Auto) with only 60k miles. It was a great deal and I loved every minute of driving it. I even gave her a name. Serena. Perfection…or so I thought.

At the 65k milestone, Serena transformed into the most vile “la tóxica” I ever had the displeasure of being with. In the last 7 months of ownership, problems have erupted in a way I’ve never seen:

Alternator replaced twice (possible third time?)
Battery replaced twice
Rear strut constantly leaking even repaired
Electrical problems on the daily (windows, lights, locks)
AC went out in the first 5 months, heater now gone
Jeep dies randomly but starts right back up
Door locks fell inside
Mysterious sour smell permeates the interior
Alignment never straight, death wobble at 60+
Driver doors hard to close
Paint peeling off driver door from light rain

I have had it with her. She drives me crazy and I still owe 11k. I’m thinking of fixing what I can then selling her to break even. California gas prices are so high now I might as well pedal to work. Maintenance is on time for the most part but I truly think she’s possessed. I drove to a dealership the other week and she decided to not start when the quote came through, then mysteriously started when my girlfriend stopped by to jump her. I’m losing my mind more every day and even had the crazy idea to have her exorcised to ease my paranoia. I forgot to rub the dash one night (as is my typical ritual before driving) and she wouldn’t start until I literally caressed the dash and she fired right up like it was the first time. I had my battery charger hooked up for 7 hours and she wouldn’t take the charge until I voiced how much I adored driving her.

Long story short… HELP

P.S. My mechanic is baffled as are the other two in my area. One of them jokingly does the sign of the cross whenever I bring her in.

P.P.S. Sunk over 5k in one year. Sometimes she codes with issues, other times no codes but tons of aforementioned issues.
How close to the salt water are you. Corosion and rusted wire terminals will drive you crazy.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Yeah, not looking for that sort of problem. "till death do us part" means something to me and my family. Also, Michigan has all sorts of advantages over California in regards to the boomsticks, haha. And snowmobiling season is almost upon us. I love it here.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, not looking for that sort of problem. "till death do us part" means something to me and my family. Also, Michigan has all sorts of advantages over California in regards to the boomsticks, haha. And snowmobiling season is almost upon us. I love it here.
I’m reluctant to move because we moved around plenty when I was a kid. The military life at its finest. Lived here for three years already but the money is too good to consider anywhere else.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
The money might be good, but the taxes are outrageous and getting worse, and you're paying nearly $5 per gallon, maybe more. I'm paying about $3.30 per gallon when I'm even home to spend my paychecks. Trucking life at its finest.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update: Took it back prematurely from the dealer and it’s been fine. No clue wtf is going on but I guess it’ll be good till I get the minor crap fixed? 🤷🏾‍♂️

21 - 27 of 27 Posts