Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2007 Patriot and the other day I was driving home from Costco and I got a strong smell of electronics frying. I unplugged my cellphone charger from the cigarette lighter. Athe smell stopped. Has anyone else had this issue? It wasn't an old cell charger. I am going to replace the charger. But not too sure if that was the problem. Because it worked fine in my Mazda 3.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4
121 Posts
Does the cigarette lighter still work? also did you check the wiring connected to the cigarette lighter to see if they were burnt or melted? Could be and electrical short or a bad and burnt-out cigarette lighter. Just my thoughts. I am sure you will get more answers soon. :)

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,792 Posts
If it's a cheap no-name charger, they're known to fry and/or take out devices plugged into them or circuits that they're plugged into. A couple years ago the wife picked up a cheapie charger at Walmart that filled her RAV4 with smoke a day or 2 later. My daughter fried her iPhone a few years ago by using a gas station purchased charger. Even name-brand ones aren't perfect, I had a name brand quick charge 3.0 charger plugged into my Patriot that fried.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts