Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem lately: When I push the gas pedal, the lights (interior AND exterior) all dim and flicker noticeably. This flickering seems to increase when I am reversing up (yes, uphill) my driveway (which makes sense, more force required).

Gotta admit, I haven't looked into anything (i.e. voltage output, relays/fuses, etc.) yet, but I did replace the battery about 3 months ago. When I did, there was a considerable amount of corrosion on the terminals, which I cleaned thoroughly. Also, I changed the spark plugs at the same time.

Like I said, I haven't checked into anything extensively, I'm just hoping someone here may have had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is odd. Normally, when you press the accelerator, the increased engine speed will cause an increased output at the alternator, which will cause the lights to become brighter. Are you seeing this dimming whilst at the same time the engine speed is increased?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's when I notice it, when engine speed is increased (accelerating in drive or reverse OR revving in Park or Neutral), also when I am rolling up the windows or if there is a good amount of bass in a tune on the radio.
It really is weird. It's not like the battery is dead or anything; it's almost brand new. The only thing I can think of other than the alternator is my commute is only 4 miles one way to work, and less than a mile to school, so maybe those numerous short drives every day isn't giving enough time to charge? But even after driving across town (15 minutes or so), it still occurs.
I don't know. What I do know is that I don't really want to drop $150 plus on a new alternator if I don't have to :doh:

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Any odd noises from under the hood? I wonder if your OAD pulley on the alternator is going bad and slipping.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Sounds like a belt slipping maybe, other than what Todd said, maybe.

If the belt is loose, or slipping, when you hit the gas it can slip more, so not turning the alt enough for the juice. Sometimes the belt will get hard and slip too, even if tight enough.

Is it worse when wet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No odd noises that I've noticed.

I'll look into the OAD pulley and belt theories... Any helpful links appreciated :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts