Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an electric pressure washer mainly for washing cars. I need it to be powerful enough to remove bird poop but at the same time be safe enough for paint and clear coat. Any recommandations on model, PSI and GPM are welcomed. My budget is around $150 for it.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Got this one late last summer, works great! [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z8E52Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
1,900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp $153 free prime shipping
The quick connect it comes with doesn't match any other style so I put a brass quick connect on their quick connect.(They used opposite male/female threading so you can't just replace them...Although theirs does have a screen filter built into it)

Edit: I don't use the hose reel as other reviewers mention I just wind up the cord and toss it over the top. If you toggle the handle quickly it has a low pressure mode where the pump intermittently cycles on and off and you can rinse your hands off or do any delicate work. It doesn't say anything about it in the manual(maybe it's not supposed to do it...idk) but I found it really useful. I put Mothers in the soap thing once to try it and it did work but using 5 gallon buckets and a brush just seems easier and more effective. Also I like the adjustable sprayer, yeah it probably makes it loose some power, but it is very handy to get the exact spray size/power you want.

Also I don't think any power washer that is safe to use on paint will remove all bugs and bird poop. It'll get the main part of it off but won't get the "outline" that etches in. Some scrubbing with a brush and/or bug remover will probably be necessary. I remember that with my dads gas pressure washers too. You could cut a board in half with the 0 degree setting but you'd also probably gouge plastic and remove decals or any imperfect paint.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
I bought this one a couple years back on black friday for cheap. http://www.menards.com/main/p-2425740-c-13917.htm

It works well enough, Ive used it for our deck and the wife uses it to clean her Toyota Camry (I wash mine by hand.) I cant vouch for super-long term use, but its handled a couple summers fine.

The online reviews are pretty hit-or-miss with it though.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
On line reviews are like that, eh?
I try and not live according to online opinions...just saying.

Now...here's my opinion:
The wands, the hose, the fittings, even the motor can be fixed/replaced/repaired...the part that matters is the pump.

Karcher, for example is a fine German manufacturer of great pressure washers and you can find a Karcher branded electric one at Wal Mart for $99 up here. Now did they simply license the name to someone who then sells a cheap knock off washer (like Kubota did with their branded shop vacs at Costco) or is it a good washer?

The pump will tell you.
If I was still going into the mill for stuff I'd have a better answer from one of the millwrights but I don't...all I do remember is its the pump you want to worry about, not the brand, the colour, the anything else. They were pretty vocal about that part.

So, just ask Google who makes the best pressure washer pumps, then find the least expensive pressure washer using that pump and I'm sure that for Harry Homeowner use it will last long time.

·
Banned
729 Posts
Electric pressure washers are pretty low quality. I had an electric cambell hausfield which worked ok for basic cleaning, but it leaked pretty bad as well but still worked. Had it for around 5 years

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
I got a Snap-On unit from Costco a few years ago and it works great.

2000psi electric, not too fancy but it's worked great so far!

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I am sure everyone is going to give a positive review of theirs :)

I went with one from Briggs & Stratton because they were inexpensive and have a good rep. That and I got a 40% discount from someone I know that works there. Similar model to this one and MSRP is about $200 and the new model has an integrated tire/ball inflator which is nice. Works nice for car cleaning, cleaning cement, the house, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts

I went with one from Briggs & Stratton because they were inexpensive and have a good rep. That and I got a 40% discount from someone I know that works there. Similar model to this one and MSRP is about $200 and the new model has an integrated tire/ball inflator which is nice. Works nice for car cleaning, cleaning cement, the house, etc.

hmm... that's an interesting idea...wonder if it uses the same motor or if it's a separate unit. I've got a 30 gallon air compressor so don't need one but it would be handy for those living in tight quarters.

·
Banned
729 Posts

Although that B&S electric washer above looks nice,id still rather go with a gas washer instead.You can pick up very nice used gas washers for $200 all day long and sometimes find new ones on sale for $200.That electric briggs you have pictured im sure probably works well,but i think the inflator thing is just a gimmick.
I bought a 2200psi Craftsman gas washer with a b&S motor that was 2 months old for $125 off Craigslist.That was 3 years ago and it still works today.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I like the zero maintenance of an electric, not having to buy gas, dont have to smell exhaust, quiet, more power than gas ones I used, and for the price of a used gas one you can get a new electric.

·
Banned
729 Posts
I like the zero maintenance of an electric, not having to buy gas, dont have to smell exhaust, quiet, more power than gas ones I used, and for the price of a used gas one you can get a new electric.
I would have to disagee on the "more power than gas ones" statement

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Honestly in my experience with 2 previous similarly spec'd gas pressure washers this electric one has more power. I am sure you can find a larger gas one that will out power/perform it but than all you have to do is bump up the electric one to match :)

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I'm looking to buy an electric pressure washer mainly for washing cars. I need it to be powerful enough to remove bird poop but at the same time be safe enough for paint and clear coat. Any recommandations on model, PSI and GPM are welcomed. My budget is around $150 for it.
You're two weeks too late! I just gave away a Honda powered washer that I no longer needed...and I'm only 3+ hours from you....too bad!

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts

Here's a photo of my Snap-on electric.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts