Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riot has a hitch in her get-a-long. Feels like a bump/miss in the drive train, mostly at highway speeds but other times at 30 - 40 mph. Tranny replaced at 113,500 (reman) and transfer case at 123,00 (new). I had a 2002 Toyota RAV4 years ago that started weird shifting and found info on the net that indicated ECU was the problem. Shipped it off and was returned with necessary repair, fixed the problem. Anyone have a similar experience? Love the Riot but I'm about tired of throwing money at it. For the record, I purchased it with 80,000, did the tranny maintenance as prescribed here. I'm a stickler for maintenance on everything I own. Your thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spark plugs? OEM style plugs are only good for about 30k miles. Bad plugs can make it feel like a trans slip.

Any dash indicator lights coming on?
No dash light/indicator. New plugs at about 90,000. I'll have a look. I also purchased Appcar 2 years ago and plan to see if it will shed any light on this. Mostly curious as to whether anyone has experienced any issues with the ECU.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
There have been instances of PCM failures, but they are usually more severe, i.e. limp mode.

If you want to check to see if there's any PCM TSB / recalls you can PM JeepCares with your VIN or try checking here:

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
Riot has a hitch in her get-a-long. Feels like a bump/miss in the drive train, mostly at highway speeds but other times at 30 - 40 mph. Tranny replaced at 113,500 (reman) and transfer case at 123,00 (new). I had a 2002 Toyota RAV4 years ago that started weird shifting and found info on the net that indicated ECU was the problem. Shipped it off and was returned with necessary repair, fixed the problem. Anyone have a similar experience? Love the Riot but I'm about tired of throwing money at it. For the record, I purchased it with 80,000, did the tranny maintenance as prescribed here. I'm a stickler for maintenance on everything I own. Your thoughts appreciated!
I too had a gap in my acceleration pattern, kind of a one-time only stutter. It felt like the engine skipped an entire RPM or two. It didn't feel like a plug miss because a bad plug would be consistent. I wouldn't see it reflected in the tach, but definitely felt a bump in the drive train. Never from a standstill, but when moving. Examples would be entering a highway at say 35MPG and accelerating to 60. Another example would be when approaching a hill at highway speeds and the engine revved higher (I had the CVT). On a long hill it might repeat. I was at first fearful the tranny was going out, but it turned out to be unevenly worn tires that were sending bogus info to the ECM. I forget the combination but I know that a couple of them were pretty well worn -- if memory serves one axle may have had undersized snow tires. My guess is that the difference was enough for the ECM to notice but not know what to do with. When I got new tires the problem went away and I never felt it again as long as I owned that vehicle (another 200,000 miles).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too had a gap in my acceleration pattern, kind of a one-time only stutter. It felt like the engine skipped an entire RPM or two. It didn't feel like a plug miss because a bad plug would be consistent. I wouldn't see it reflected in the tach, but definitely felt a bump in the drive train. Never from a standstill, but when moving. Examples would be entering a highway at say 35MPG and accelerating to 60. Another example would be when approaching a hill at highway speeds and the engine revved higher (I had the CVT). On a long hill it might repeat. I was at first fearful the tranny was going out, but it turned out to be unevenly worn tires that were sending bogus info to the ECM. I forget the combination but I know that a couple of them were pretty well worn -- if memory serves one axle may have had undersized snow tires. My guess is that the difference was enough for the ECM to notice but not know what to do with. When I got new tires the problem went away and I never felt it again as long as I owned that vehicle (another 200,000 miles).
Man you described it to a T, but tires are in really good condition. Wonder if it could be a sensor? Never been off road or abused. sitting at 131,000 on the clock.

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
Be sure your tires are all the same. I say that because at least one person on here reported that the tire shop put one tire on that was not the same as the others. Why, I don't know. I'm guessing they wanted the sale and only had three in stock so they subbed something else close. Nasty way to do business, but some shops are sneaky that way. Or maybe the tech was a klutz and didn't read the size correctly.

Presuming they are all the right size and in good shape, then a bad sensor would be my next guess.

After that, maybe you've got a plug failing prematurely. If not, then maybe a coil pack. No codes, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts