Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Angry Riot
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so for the past few weeks I've really wanted angry eyes, I saw them online and just couldn't help myself, so i had some extra plasti-dip laying around i wanted to use. guess ill try to post the best army proof instructions i can here :D

Things needed:
  • Windex
  • paper towel
  • paper (approx 4-6 sheets)
  • masking tape

First i cleaned off my lenses with some Windex, make sure it is thoroughly clean and dry before starting.

I used two sheets of paper and some masking tape for each head light, taped as the following pictures show, i folded, in half, the side that went on the round crack (idk what to call it so that's its new name). i stuck the flat part to cover the headlight down 1st with some masking tape, walking back and forth to make sure it was where i wanted it to be and looked even with the other one(not much to being super exact, shall be redoing this summer maybe with vinyl) then taped in place, was a bit windy so i taped it down on the bottom as well before i started to paint. after which i stuck the halfed paper in the round crack. and taped down, i folded the triangles to keep the paper ridged while it was windy. (approx 10-15mph)

Left side:

Right side:

after that i did thin layers of dip, i did about 5 layers during daylight (spaced about 30-45 mins apart) then at night i put on 3 more layers to stop all light from going through (turned on headlights as i sprayed them)

to remove the tape and paper, you just take a key or something long and stick it in the round crack (this will cut any plasti-dip stuck to paper and light to prevent tearing)

after that slowly remove top part of the cover, then you're left with just the bottom, to remove it i recommend leaving your headlights on so you can see if its still dark, slowly peal while pressing down on the side you want to stay with the jeep, it will stick just need to help it a little

the finished product:

i cant comment on how they hold up, but the heat produced from the headlights should not over do the heat plasti-dip can withstand:D good luck!

On 10/20/2015 i upgraded to some on amazon:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011L16Y92"]
[/ame]

· Angry Riot
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Angry Riot
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
will that attract the attention of your local highway patrol? - that's illegal down here

I figure how can it snice headlights come in all shapes and sizes as long as it isn't blinding or cutting off light, so I kept mine a little on the small side, I couldn't tell you to be honest, but if I was todo the whole thing black tint id say most likey

Also from what I read online mostly if you don't change color or visibility up to so many feet your not breaking any real laws, states vary.

Sent from really crappy AutoGuide.com Free App (it's free because it lags, crashes, and has weird bugs)

· Registered
702 Posts
looks cool and very angry!!

· Equal Opportunity Mod
2,463 Posts
I like it! It adds some personality. I also think the amount of dip used is good, more would be excessive Imo. Ingenious idea!

· Angry Riot
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool idea! It turned out awesome!
thanks! yeah i was surprised how well it came out, looks pretty aggressive behind you or coming at you:p

I like it! It adds some personality. I also think the amount of dip used is good, more would be excessive Imo. Ingenious idea!
thanks! and yeah i just waited til dark to make sure i had enough on, the 2 more layers (was only gonna do 5 like my rims at 1st) was just perfect to keep the light out and have a smooth finish.

· Mopar or no car!!!
1,698 Posts
Looks great! Are you thinking of doing the fog lights too?

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,468 Posts
Looks good to me! Though now I think of moving them around and on the top outside edges, you could have sad eyes. Or the bottom outside edges could be tired eyes lol.

· Premium Member
379 Posts
going to do this after i make a trip to get plastidip and for it to get warm
gotta get spark plugs too, i keep forgetting

· Angry Riot
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A great tip for the plasti-dip is 20 mins before using place the can in a pot of warm tap water, then use it, and after each coat (while waiting 30 min) let it chill in more warm water so the can is nice and warm, you can use it down to 20 F degeees and it'll still work, if it's snowy I wouldn't do it, make sure it's gonna be clear before doing it

Sent from super laggy and crashing, bug riddled AutoGuide.com Free App that sucks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.