Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Ive been wanting to add some very powerful subwoofer systems to my patriot for a long time but was not sure if my vehicle could take it. I wanted to put in a new higher output alternator but was told it would void my warranty? is this true? If it is would letting the dealership i bought it from install an alternator be ok and not mess up the warranty? I browsed around the internet awhile and noticed someone had a similar problem i was having, only he did not have a patriot. He too could not replace his alternator, so instead he bought another HO alternator and a dual kit and just used the HO to charge the extra batteries for his system. The idea sounded good but my question is if that is possible with a patriot. After pooping the hood i couldnt seem to ffind any extra space to put another alternator, but perhaps i missed something. Information would be greatly appreciated please! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
i don't think there is room for a second alternator , you might be able to find a high output but i'm not sure what that would do to your warranty. a second battery would work but where would you mount the second battery? how much current does your amplifier draw?

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
That's an image I didn't need.

Jhop,
The engine compartment is pretty cramped. You'd have a tough time squeezing another alternator in there. If it were me, I'd have to risk voiding the warranty and just replace the stock one with a larger one.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"Pooping the hood?"

Anyway, setting that aside, I would go with a heavy duty alternator, capacitor and focus on a separate battery.

Not sure a second alternator is a great idea. There is not much space and you may end up putting needless drag on the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all it offended i meant "popping the hood haha" and yeah i didnt assume id be able to fit another in there. I have been looking around for a while but everysite i look at for HO alternators does not have one compatible with jeeps. There is however a place near my residence that will rewind your factory alternator to get more amps out of it. Right now its 120 amps. Does anyone know how strong of an alternator id need for a 4000 watt rms system?

·
Registered
28 Posts
lots more

4000w/12v=330 amps if 100 percent efficient which the amps are not i would say you will need an additional 450-500 amps, or add up the total of all the amplifiers fuses ( i will bet it works out to a lot less than 4000 watts)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds good. Im getting 2 Kinetik khc2000 batteries and somewhere told me i could run them off just batteries if i had a charger plugged in over night. Or run them off my current alternator but plug them into a charger overnight. And its not like id bump them 24/7 straight. Is this just a false fact or could i get away with just runnin on my alternator (120A) the two batteries if charging them overnight?

·
Registered
28 Posts
we need to know the current draw to calculate the answers to your questions. what amplifiers are you going to use and how many of them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ok sorry i thought you meant alternator. Im planning on 3 lanzar MXA242. the subs i want are 700rms at 2ohm so these provide just under that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks like you need 90 amps of capacity. btw you are looking at less than 1000 watts total, closer to 700 i bet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no that is about what your amps are actually going to put out. your alternator could keep up if you were wunning a second battery and a battery isolatoe and you do not run at max volume for extended periods of time, charging the second battery overnigth would help too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi
Ive been wanting to add some very powerful subwoofer systems to my patriot for a long time but was not sure if my vehicle could take it. I wanted to put in a new higher output alternator but was told it would void my warranty? is this true? If it is would letting the dealership i bought it from install an alternator be ok and not mess up the warranty? I browsed around the internet awhile and noticed someone had a similar problem i was having, only he did not have a patriot. He too could not replace his alternator, so instead he bought another HO alternator and a dual kit and just used the HO to charge the extra batteries for his system. The idea sounded good but my question is if that is possible with a patriot. After pooping the hood i couldnt seem to ffind any extra space to put another alternator, but perhaps i missed something. Information would be greatly appreciated please! :D
If the alternator's voltage regulator is ECU controlled, then adding a HO alt can damage the ECU and if not, would still be controlled by the same system. If you will only listen to the system while the engine is driving, you don't want extra batteries.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Pooping the hood?"

Anyway, setting that aside, I would go with a heavy duty alternator, capacitor and focus on a separate battery.

Not sure a second alternator is a great idea. There is not much space and you may end up putting needless drag on the engine.
"Stiffening" capacitors are pretty much snake oil. The only tile the cap would have to charge would be in between songs. One the song starts, the cap would discharge and be done until the song ends.
Extra batteries would reduce available power to a system and should only be added in cases where there is high current demand while the engine is not running.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts