Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Whenever I shift from reverse and drive I get this clunking noise and can’t figure out exactly what’s happening/where it’s coming from. The U joint itself seems ok, like there’s no play. I didn’t know how normal it was for everything else to be moving up and down like it is, and what’s loose if that’s not normal. I just replaced the rear motor mount so that’s not it

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,300 Posts
Inner CV joints?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inner CV joints?
That was actually my first thought after reading some other things on here, but after a visual inspection the boots all look healthy, even though I think it's still the original axle from 2008. Do they still fail even if the boots are ok?

·
Administrator
8,082 Posts
That was actually my first thought after reading some other things on here, but after a visual inspection the boots all look healthy, even though I think it's still the original axle from 2008. Do they still fail even if the boots are ok?
Sometimes, yes.

Here's something you can try to see if there's excessive play:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok I've replaced both front axles and that still hasn't solved the noise. However, the noise is definitely coming from where the passenger axle goes into the transmission (see video). I'm at such a loss. Is it just a bad transmission?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I read up about the PTU, since that’s where the noise is coming from. I drained and refilled the PTU fluid, and saw some dreaded metal bits in there. I’m guessing there’s my problem and the PTU needs to be replaced. Do we have instructions for that? I couldn’t find any for that specifically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts