Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to access the inner bolt for the drivers door lower hinge that bolts to the pillar? I can get at the front bolt no problem but the inner one is obstructed by the whole door check deal. Upper hinge is no problem at all. Previous owner had the whole door taken by the wind issue that Ive fixed but still need to do a small adjustment on the bottom hinge to make it close perfectly. Any special wrench that might get at that inner bolt? I dont want to have to remove the door (again).

· Administrator
8,760 Posts
Maybe you can get to it by taking the wheel well liner out.

Below is a pic looking back into the fender cavity with the wheel well liner out. Looks like there's splash guard you'd have to get past.

Purple Automotive design Pink Violet Material property

View from the door side taken from the vid below:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Vehicle door Gas

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I hadnt thought about coming from the wheel well. I have looked at that video. I had the door off to fix where the hinge mounds to the door.The wind had bent it causing the door to be crazy high and out. I gently massaged the area with a BFH to make it flat again. Now it hangs a tiny bit low.In the second pic you can see that vertical piece of metal that obstructs any wrenches from getting to it. The top hinge does not have that part. I thought maybe someone had done this before and knew of a certain type of wrench that would work. Ill have to mess with it some more when the weather clears up here.

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,468 Posts
They make a small door spring compressor tool to remove the spring. My advance auto had it in stock and it worked great when I rebuilt the hinges on my 73 camaro.

· Registered
10 Posts
Is there any way to access the inner bolt for the drivers door lower hinge that bolts to the pillar? I can get at the front bolt no problem but the inner one is obstructed by the whole door check deal. Upper hinge is no problem at all. Previous owner had the whole door taken by the wind issue that Ive fixed but still need to do a small adjustment on the bottom hinge to make it close perfectly. Any special wrench that might get at that inner bolt? I dont want to have to remove the door (again).
You cant access that bolt without taking the whole door out but if your problem is adjustments so it will close properly, adjust the bolts that is on the door itself not the one thats on the car frame

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cant access that bolt without taking the whole door out but if your problem is adjustments so it will close properly, adjust the bolts that is on the door itself not the one thats on the car frame
I figured as much. My problem is that the door is hanging a hair low so I would like to raise it by adjusting at the pillar. I could just do the top hinge but the line to the fender is a bit thin up there already. The bolts on the door itself just allow adjustment for how far the door sticks out I believe and not how it hangs.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car door is a bit lower so i need it to go up, i just play with those 4 nuts on the door. By the rnd of the day Nut is loose but its up, just like i wanted. I
Ah I see what youre saying now. you loosen the 4 nuts and then raise the whole door a bit. Im just looking to "tip" the door up a bit not raise the whole thing straight up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts