·
Registered
2011, Jeep Patriot
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Driver side door issue.... The door was this way when I bought the Patriot
(Johnny).....
Is there a way to get that dent out or do I need to get a entirely new door ?? Sigh ....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do you just want the dent out, or do you also want the paint repaired? The paint appears cracked down to bare metal above the pin stripping, so that will rust after a short time.

Here's my thread on PDR (Paintless Dent Removal), but your cracked paint precludes using this method: Paintless Dent Removal (PDR)

A body shop would pull that dent out a bit and fill it with "bondo". Some sanding and primer would be followed up with paint and clear coat. Maybe $500 to $700 depending on where you live.

You might be able to find a used door in the same color for less $$$. Good luck on that repair.

·
Registered
2011, Jeep Patriot
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you just want the dent out, or do you also want the paint repaired? The paint appears cracked down to bare metal above the pin stripping, so that will rust after a short time.

Here's my thread on PDR (Paintless Dent Removal), but your cracked paint precludes using this method: Paintless Dent Removal (PDR)

A body shop would pull that dent out a bit and fill it with "bondo". Some sanding and primer would be followed up with paint and clear coat. Maybe $500 to $700 depending on where you live.

You might be able to find a used door in the same color for less $$$. Good luck on that repair.
I want the dent out and I want it repainted entirely

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, that door is repairable. Below is one (of hundreds) YouTube video that shows the basic repair. A professional body shop would have spray guns to apply primer, base coat paint, and clear coat.

It is difficult to find trustworthy body shops. See if you can get recommendations from friends. You can get as many free estimates as you want. You will then develop a feel for which shop might be better based on your interaction during the estimate. Still, it is difficult to know which one is better quality. Insurance might cover that if you choose that route, IF they don't know you purchased it like that (moral decision).

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,212 Posts
It is fixable, but the dent is on a body line, so it'll be pretty difficult and probably require using body hammers and blocks. If it were me, I'd replace the whole door. It'd be much simpler, and I'd pick up a used door that's the same color. My local u-pull-it junk yard only charges $25 for a door.

·
Registered
2011, Jeep Patriot
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that door is repairable. Below is one (of hundreds) YouTube video that shows the basic repair. A professional body shop would have spray guns to apply primer, base coat paint, and clear coat.

It is difficult to find trustworthy body shops. See if you can get recommendations from friends. You can get as many free estimates as you want. You will then develop a feel for which shop might be better based on your interaction during the estimate. Still, it is difficult to know which one is better quality. Insurance might cover that if you choose that route, IF they don't know you purchased it like that (moral decision).

Thank you cause I was told since it's on that angle that it can't be fixed that I'd need a new door...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts