Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I wanted to close the passengers side front door today, but oops - it didn`t slam shut as usual and stayed open. Tried several times, still open. Took a screwdriver and played with the latch that`s supposed to lock around the door catch. It moves back and forth OK but doesn`t "click" on the catch or screwdriver like all other doors I tried. Trying power open/close with remote didn`t help either :doh:
Probably a minor mechanical problem in the lock or something, but a huge problem if you`re driving alone in a remote area as I was. You can`t drive for long leaning over and holding the right side door handle, the only way to tie and secure the door is:
- by a rope around the door frame and tied to something inside the vehicle, if you have a rope with you
- tape the door with a scotch tape, if you have a roll with you
Well I didn`t have neither of those and I can tell you it`s a bit of a dilemma. Fortunately I went by a bus stop and saw a guy standing there, so I stopped and asked him where he`s going. He was going to my home town so I gave him a ride and he was holding the door shut all the way :D At home I played with the lock some more with no result, so I took a roll of scotch tape and fixed it with that. I`ll have to go to the service with this, because you can`t go anywhere and leave the car on a public place with a taped door - anyone can see it and can get inside easily :(.
So now I am enlightened by this experience to carry a piece of rope and a roll of scotch tape at all times in the car. It probably is a 1000:1 or less odds of a malfunction like this happening but it can happen to anyone so it`s really a good idea to have a roll of tape in the car, and it can be useful for dozens of other things too. E.g. taping your mother-in-law`s mouth shut on a longer trip :D
So anyways - just wanted to let you know about this inconspicuous threat from the Pat. Didn`t find anything on this issue in older posts, so if anyone had the same problem or knows about an easy fix please let us know.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That`s a great idea for an emergency, must keep that in mind (provided that you`re wearing shoes with laces) :). But it now comes to mind that one could also use a tie, belt, t-shirt, bra :smiley_thumbs_up:, trousers, even a plastic bag - should be good enough when you roll down the front and rear windows and tie it around the B pillar :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Went to the service shop with the dooor lock problem the day before yesterday. Selected a smaller family owned dealership in a smaller town over a big dealer in the capital - the distance difference from my place was only about 10 miles or so. Don`t regret that - nice and peaceful environment, big sofas, music playing, courteous people, free coffee served, a large glass window from the showroom into the workshop where you can monitor what the mechanics (all dressed in dealers logo overalls) are doing with your ride while sipping your coffe and reading magazines. So they took apart the inner door panel to get to the lock and after that the lock miraculously started working normaly again. They couldn`t find any evident fault so they just screwed everything back together again and I was done and on my way in about an hours time. Everything under warranty so it didn`t cost me a penny and assurance that if the lock prolem reoccured I should call them right away, they`d order a new lock and change it for me the next time. The only small drawback was that the mechanic made a small scratch on the plastic silver door armrest when dismantling it, but I didn`t want to make a big case out of that - all the other aspects of this dealership/service outweighted it and I`d like to come there with my Patriot for as long as I own it :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Pat was 11 months old and the drivers door wouldn't open at all! I unlocked it with the remote fob and it made all the right noises and then every door in the car was able to open but the drivers door, I had to climb in from the passenger seat and still wouldn't open from the inside, played with the lock... nothing!

I called Jeep assist who told me to take it to the dealership, there was nothing they could do either!

They had it for 3 days in the end…… they had to take the door card/panel off and remove the lock mechanism and replace the lot!

Finally got it home and then it started only opening on the first time it was unlocked, so you could get in but not out again!

After another day in the shop and more tweaking they finally got it right!!

Fingers crossed its been ok since....

Thank God for Warranty!!!!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Boy George, I applaud the way you adapted to the situation and solved the problem, and the fact you learned from it. :)

Me, I always keep a bunch of paracord and 100mph tape in the Jeep. Those things have a thousand and one uses! From fixing a side mirror after a parking lot crash to repairing target stands at the range or lashing a rain poncho to a tree as a lean-to, or... Well, ones imagination is the limit here. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same for me

Got the very same problem with my Pat. Except they cannot get the new door mechanism. It has been proved as faulty But they are still awaiting the new parts.

Mine just refuses to open when it gets cold....and when I Say 'cold' I am only looking at freezing or just below.

Whole host of problems with this car though. Just got it back after 3 weeks in the garage for a vibration problem. And.......it started again!!!

I ALSO HAVE EXCESSIVE TYRE WEAR ON BOTH FRONT TYRES ON THE OUTSIDE. DEALER SAY NO PROBLEM.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,636 Posts
My back order drivers door lock has come in , my dealer phoned me today & its being fitted next Friday. I'm having this done along with an early change of fuel filter & a new rubber strip along the windscreen ,the one that goes under the wiper. The missfire seems to have gone but they said they would check the Turbo pipes & clips & do a pute re-flash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
more problems

Noticed after getting the car back there appeared to what I assumed were scratches done by their mechanics.

After attending the garage yesterday, it appears all 4 wheels have to be replaced because of ......corrosion'!!!

If anyone has what appears to be circular motion scratches on your wheels, get the garage to have a look as this is a warranty problem.

.................just been out to the car after a fairly hard frost last night (-5degrees)....doors opened:)....They said they 'rigged' the drivers door latch so it would not jam again......I hope.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,636 Posts
I'm going out to check my wheels.......!!!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Noticed after getting the car back there appeared to what I assumed were scratches done by their mechanics.

After attending the garage yesterday, it appears all 4 wheels have to be replaced because of ......corrosion'!!!

If anyone has what appears to be circular motion scratches on your wheels, get the garage to have a look as this is a warranty problem.

.................just been out to the car after a fairly hard frost last night (-5degrees)....doors opened:)....They said they 'rigged' the drivers door latch so it would not jam again......I hope.
Interesting I've noticed something like this. It looks like the wheels have been scratched in a car wash, although it's never been in one. It's going in for a service on Tuesday so I'll mention it to them then.

·
Registered
94 Posts
interesting how these wheels corrode, if you look closely there is a small manufacturers emblem on the wheels, and it is the same one i had on the oem wheels on my mazda rx8, the wheels may be japanese, they had major problems with them in the uk because of all the salt they put on the roads in winter, they had to change lots and lots of wheels under warranty, i havent noticed any scratches (apart from the ones the previous owner added:mad:) but i will keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad I discovered this post. My drivers door locked up last October/November. It wasn't freezing and all the other doors worked fine. The dealer needed to disconnect the battery for twenty four hours so that the computer 're-set' before replacing the mechanism.

More interestingly I had three wheels replaced under waranty for corrosion. As mentioned above it's like small scores appearing on the alloys. At the time I asked for all four wheels to be replaced. The dealer refused as the remaining wheel did not have evidence of the same wear. That was last year with a years warranty left. Now there's signs of wear on the remaining wheel. The dealer accepts that it's a fault however because there is also kerbing on that wheel Chrysler policy says I have to pay for half the replacement costs. That despite having had to replace the other three. I refused to pay and have taken up a complaint with the dealer but am now out of waranty.

To add insult to injury I noticed that one of the replacement alloys from last year is now starting to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
drivers door won't open

Hi All,
My drivers door won't open on 2008 Patriot. After taking out the middle part of the door trim (how I did this below) I have found nothing wrong with any of the push rods or the visible part of the door latch, but still could not open door.

In the end I discovered that if I open rear door of car I could get a screwdriver into small hole below rubber seal in door adjacent to the lock mechanism. If I then pulled door handle open(the one on outside of door),i could lever the actuator down a little more than it normaly goes and then the door handle was released and when I tried it again the door opened.

I then tested it and it didn't jam up again until I left it for five minutes. Does anyone know if it needs lubrication, or does it need replacing?

Russ

Removing the trim:
just remove screw cap in handle with small flatblade screwdriver, remove torx screw, then pull off trim either by pulling at the handle or easing it off with a wide flatblade screwdriver from top right hand corner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,
My drivers door won't open on 2008 Patriot. After taking out the middle part of the door trim (how I did this below) I have found nothing wrong with any of the push rods or the visible part of the door latch, but still could not open door.

In the end I discovered that if I open rear door of car I could get a screwdriver into small hole below rubber seal in door adjacent to the lock mechanism. If I then pulled door handle open(the one on outside of door),i could lever the actuator down a little more than it normaly goes and then the door handle was released and when I tried it again the door opened.

I then tested it and it didn't jam up again until I left it for five minutes. Does anyone know if it needs lubrication, or does it need replacing?

Russ

Removing the trim:
just remove screw cap in handle with small flatblade screwdriver, remove torx screw, then pull off trim either by pulling at the handle or easing it off with a wide flatblade screwdriver from top right hand corner
You my friend are a f**king genius! This trick took me 30 seconds and released the door after two weeks of climbing over the passenger side waiting for the garage slot!

I have now thoughly cleaned the lock set with WD40 and then reapplied a shed load of high quality lube inside and out.

Only time will tell how it goes but least I know all is not lost if it sticks and means I can now buy the £124 actuator lock mech myself and fit it, saving a shed load.

This thread needs hyping up as its the only place I have seen this method of getting the door open.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts