Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2010 2.4lt auto Jeep Patriot. It is stalling and running very badly.... And getting worse.... Have read lots of posts describing the same issues here. None include an answer... I've done; plugs, two plug coils, fuel system cleaner and the fuel pump. Some posts have mentioned a possible connection to ECU/PCM. But no conclusion. Is this the source of our problems??? Do the companies offering pre programed (to your Vin) ECUs actually work? Thanks. G.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
336 Posts
Most likely a dying throttle body. It takes a damn long time to code for that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m in the same boat, 2014 2.4 6 speed just replaced the throttle body and spark plugs. Runs 100 times better but still stuttering a tiny bit in 6th gear.
Thinking about blowing out fuel lines before a strainer replacement

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What codes come up on your scans?
Thanks for the shout back: Lights up like a Christmas tree!! Engine, traction, Abs, 4wd warning....Only codes in the ECU were spark coils 2 and 3... Replaced those and all 4 spark plugs.... Also replaced fuel pump, as the filter is integral!! Damn it!! Often felt like fuel starvation.... Each item replaced makes it go ever so slightly better but still stalling and no power.... Now revs past 3000 again, which is nice.... But then stalls when you break!! I have order the ECU/PCM... I will report back once it's fitted! Keep your fingers crossed... It seems like to many issues just to be the throttle body to be honest.... Often seems slightly better when the engine is at full temp... But can still stall under breaks.... And so many warning lights with no codes!! I've done a reset a few times... Thx. G.

·
Administrator
5,973 Posts
... Too many lights and running issues and no codes...
That seems odd. Not sure which code reader/scanner you have but some of the lower cost, entry level models aren't able to properly read all the codes. You might try another scanner just for second opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That seems odd. Not sure which code reader/scanner you have but some of the lower cost, entry level models aren't able to properly read all the codes. You might try another scanner just for second opinion.
I had it read by a technician with the full kit.... Hence I'm fairly sure my ECU is on the way out....

·
Registered
336 Posts
No, I don't think so... Too many lights and running issues and no codes for just that... I also put fuel cleaner through it....
Thx. G.
The manual says not to add any additives. As long as you're going to decent fuel stations you should be getting additives already in the gas.

I had similiar symptoms when my throttle body went and it took forever to pop a code and when it did it wasn't even for the throttle body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The manual says not to add any additives. As long as you're going to decent fuel stations you should be getting additives already in the gas.

I had similiar symptoms when my throttle body went and it took forever to pop a code and when it did it wasn't even for the throttle body.
I'm in Spain and Gibraltar so not sure how good my fuel is most of the time.... It's a crap shoot!! As for the manual... Given the Jeep mechanics can't diginose all these Jeep's with the same issues, I'm not sure the manual is worth the paper it is printed on.... I've used additives in other cars to clean injectors and carbs in the past and they have always helped... Can't see why a Jeep engine and injectors would be any different... Fingers crossed the ECU fixes it for good.... Is yours all sorted with the throttle body swapped??? I read others who had done that with no improvement.... Just a lighter wallet.... :-/

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm in Spain and Gibraltar so not sure how good my fuel is most of the time.... It's a crap shoot!! As for the manual... Given the Jeep mechanics can't diginose all these Jeep's with the same issues, I'm not sure the manual is worth the paper it is printed on.... I've used additives in other cars to clean injectors and carbs in the past and they have always helped... Can't see why a Jeep engine and injectors would be any different... Fingers crossed the ECU fixes it for good.... Is yours all sorted with the throttle body swapped??? I read others who had done that with no improvement.... Just a lighter wallet.... :-/
Yeah, it fixed my issues. What kind of scan tool do you have to check live data with?

·
Registered
23 Posts
In a weeks time I replaced throttle body, spark plugs, crank position sensor, did a hard ecu reset. Have since driven about 100 miles with no stuttering/hesitation. Idle is really smooth also.
I’m not sure what did it but my issues are gone 🤞..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts