Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the conversation (which I am surprised no one here has brought up yet) about the Las Vegas massacre - bump stocks are now in discussion.

I know/knew about bump stocks, never used them, but am very hesitant to say they will make a gun automatic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Does it make a rifle with a large capacity magazine more capable of killing more people in a short amount of time? Yes, yes it does.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Due to the conversation (which I am surprised no one here has brought up yet) about the Las Vegas massacre - bump stocks are now in discussion.

I know/knew about bump stocks, never used them, but am very hesitant to say they will make a gun automatic.

Bump stocks are like the old Hellfire trigger adapters that were used like a simulator for automatic weapons training.

Bump stocks and Hellfire's don't significantly increase rounds per second over semi-auto fire, let alone getting to the level of a full auto as demo'd in the video below.

Semi-auto = 5 rounds per sec
Bump stock = 7.5 rounds per sec
Full auto = 15 rounds per sec

[ame]https://youtu.be/Dd9y8hHMUag?t=65[/ame]

Here's another comparison of a bump stock vs a well trained semi-auto shooter.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ddPTyoV-Irc?t=32[/ame]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does it make a rifle with a large capacity magazine more capable of killing more people in a short amount of time? Yes, yes it does.
You mean normal capacity.... and its not the rifle that kills people.. its the guy or girl pulling the trigger.... i hqve a crap ton of guns none have ever killed OR injured anyone... Other than a bruised shoulder

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bump stocks are like the old Hellfire trigger adapters that were used like a simulator for automatic weapons training.

Bump stocks and Hellfire's don't significantly increase rounds per second over semi-auto fire, let alone getting to the level of a full auto as demo'd in the video below.

Semi-auto = 5 rounds per sec
Bump stock = 7.5 rounds per sec
Full auto = 15 rounds per sec

https://youtu.be/Dd9y8hHMUag?t=65

Here's another comparison of a bump stock vs a well trained semi-auto shooter.

https://youtu.be/ddPTyoV-Irc?t=32
Love to see u pull a trigger 5 times in a second... even my paint ball guns with a double trigger (fires on pull and release) 7 rds a second is hard

·
Registered
351 Posts
"2.1.6 Machinegun. Firearms within the definition of machinegun include weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger."

"The “designed to shoot automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger” portion of the definition relates to the characteristics of the weapon that permit full automatic fire. ATF has also held that the “designed” definition includes those weapons which have not previously functioned as machineguns but possess design features which facilitate full automatic fire by simple modification or elimination of existing component parts. ATF has published rulings concerning specific firearms classified as machineguns based on this interpretation of the term “designed.”

Included within the definition of machinegun is any part designed and intended solely and exclusively,
or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun. "

I'd say adding a bump stock is a "simple modification"

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download

·
Registered
351 Posts
Define "large capacity "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-capacity_magazine

"For legal purposes, in some jurisdictions magazines holding more than 10 rounds are considered "high-capacity." This can be problematic as typical magazine capacity is between 15 to 18 rounds for popular modern semi-automatic pistols, or up to 30 rounds for modern sporting rifles."

Paddock had 100 round magazines

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, according to your link,

"in some jurisdictions magazines holding more than 10 rounds are considered "high-capacity."

and

"typical magazine capacity is between 15 to 18 rounds for popular modern semi-automatic pistols, or up to 30 rounds for modern sporting rifles."

I.E. the "high capacity" category actually includes most typical/regular capacity magazines. (In some jurisdictions...) :nerd:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I.E. the "high capacity" category actually includes most typical/regular capacity magazines. (In some jurisdictions...) :nerd:
Yeah which I why I said "large capacity" maybe I should have said "extra large" or "unnecessarily large unless you are planning a mass murder"?

Maybe having 1000's of rounds of ammo or possession of more than a certain number of extra magazines of any capacity should require a special license.

Anyway.. it's starting to sound like the guy was depressed and this is how he decided to go out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah which I why I said "large capacity" maybe I should have said "extra large" or "unnecessarily large unless you are planning a mass murder"?

Maybe having 1000's of rounds of ammo or possession of more than a certain number of extra magazines of any capacity should require a special license.

Anyway.. it's starting to sound like the guy was depressed and this is how he decided to go out.
I ALWAYS keep a minimum of 10k 22 lr rounds... plus prbly 500 shotgun plus pistol and rifle rds... cheaper to buy in bulk... an average plink with the 22 is usually 2-3k rds a day

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
Yes, as evidenced, those without a criminal record can easily acquire firearms, sometimes ending up using them for ill-fated purposes. The system could possibly use some tweaking to keep the guns out of only those hands that would use them for unwarranted harm to others. If the system can accomplish that, great. Otherwise, hand one out to anybody that the dealers can, at best discretion, determine have a reasonable amount of sanity to not go around blasting people at random. Then if somebody does try one of these again, it'll be easier to weed them out before they can get off more than a few shots.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I wonder how many of his guns were acquired legally? Like they say, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"...making guns harder to get won't eliminate them from the hands of crazies.....

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indeed - he got them a legal way and that guy was obviously planning this for a very very long time. You can think about it all you want but he had a plan and executed it and if there is anyone else that wants to do something like this in secret - there is really nothing anyone can do about it.

That video above makes a good case, there are plenty of people that have easily learned to shoot just as fast or faster than using that bump stock. Interesting as well that the NRA is somewhat caving on this issue.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
By definition, a "bump stock" does not turn a semi auto firearm into a machine gun. The way a bump stock works is by absorbing the recoil from the fired round and then using a spring to return that recoil energy in an opposite direction places the users finger in a position to pull the trigger again. Therefore, the firearm is still only firing one round per single action of the trigger. Or one round per trigger pull. This is why the BATF has reviewed them multiple times (including twice during the Obama administration) and determined that they were not illegal modifications or an item they had the authority to regulate without congressional action.
It does however, enable a user to fire faster than they otherwise may be able to. It is conceivable that a trained and practiced individual can fire a semi auto firearm faster than a person using a bump stock. My personal experience and knowledge of these mass casualty events, however, tells me that most often, the perpetrator does not usually expend all that much time or energy training for the event.
Although I consider myself staunchly "pro 2-A", I wouldn't waste my time buying, or defending these products. On the other side of the coin however, is an issue that no one wants to talk about. we live in a society in which medication is given out without much, if any, actual diagnosis. These medications often have severe side effects, including depression, addiction, and other mind altering effects. How many kids in schools are being prescribed psycho active drugs like Ritalin or Adderall because they are exhibiting "symptoms" of being a child? How many adults are sitting around you right now that are using psycho active prescription drugs for depression? How is this not part of the conversation?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-shows-70-percent-of-americans-take-prescription-drugs/

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed - he was drugged up on valuim and living an odd night life of additions.
More and more of our society is drugged 24/7 and its happening at a scary level!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts