Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods please sticky the following.

It's sad but car Companies usually only issue recalls if the cost of lawsuits due to accidents resulting in death outweigh the cost of the recall.

I think we should all do our part and file complains to the NHTSA if you've had safety issues.

Even if you already fixed it please do your part by filling a complain about, be descriptive, factual and explain how it is a safety issue.
Premature failure
Tie Rods
Control Joints
Roof leaks, leaking all over the dash that could cause an electrical fire.
Premature CVT failures
ABS/ Wheel speed sensors failing causing the Patriot to brake on it's own
Emergency brakes that don't hold

The more of these we file the more likely will get a recall for these issues

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'd like to see the water leak start an electrical fire.

I don't know the Patriot but my old Pontiac had a wheel speed sensor fail, the abs and traction control turned off, the vehicle didn't automagically apply the brakes.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Can someone please tell me how water on the dash can cause an electrical fire? As someone who has been in downpours without a top available, while going 60 mph on the highway and sitting at stop lights.... I've been in rain, sleet, hail and snow without a top or doors... . I have flooded the interior more times than I can count. I've been flagged down multiple times for my Jeep "leaking something, most likely gas" and had to show that my Jeep was basically a mobile swimming pool and it was currently draining.... No fires yet. In fact no problems from water at all other than the carpet getting pulled, but that's an upgrade in my book.... am I cheating death? I'm almost scared to enjoy my jeep now

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
It could possibly cause an arch of electricity, but if it raining that much, the water would put the fire out almost instantly... You're more likely to corrode wires and connections. but that'll happen if you live in a humid/ salty area.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It could possibly cause an arch of electricity, but if it raining that much, the water would put the fire out almost instantly... You're more likely to corrode wires and connections. but that'll happen if you live in a humid/ salty area.
I guess I should have added /sarcasm.

In a house, maybe. In a modern vehicle, I doubt it. Fuses pop, no more power to heat the wire or other items near by enough to reach an ignition point. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it and it just seems like a piss poor attempt to sensationalize a problem in hopes of motivating the ignorant masses. Similar to Marty's "we all could've died my exhaust levitated itself!" Should the vehicle leak? Of course not, but it's a defect not a life threatening engineering disaster far worse than the Hindenburg and probably not something you should bother the NHTSA with. Stupid litigation makes vehicles stupid expensive and boring.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
As far as I know the Patriot doesn't come with an emergency brake either. It has a parking brake however, and like all parking brakes it requires maintenance and proper adjustment to function correctly. Go to say a mining operation and you'll notice wheel chocks on all the rigs. If they don't trust the parking brake on their professionally maintained and operated vehicles, why should you trust yours? Driver's ed should have taught you how to properly and safely park. Do it.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
I know somebody who investigates car accidents for the state and claims for NHTSA, and he told me a staggering figure over 10 years ago, that anywhere from $500 - $3000 of the price of a car (depending on the car and manufacture) all goes to paying for lawsuits and as insurance for future suits.

He also said that a majority of suits were frivolous and companies settle to just get it out of their hair, and so that the news cannot pick up on them and blow things out of proportion.

·
Dark
84 Posts
I'll get right on that .... If one of those things happens to me .... And it's not my own damn fault for not maintaining something.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I'll get right on that .... If one of those things happens to me .... And it's not my own damn fault for not maintaining something.
Often the untold part of the post, eh?

I get kind of bouncy when someone with a new registration or very few posts suddenly shows up, all breathless and wants something done, now!!!

Or older registrations, years old and only 20 posts and suddenly, now, there is something wrong with a 90,000 mile Patriot and someone needs to fix this for free.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I don't have any of those problems,
Even with few problems I did have I wouldn't involve nhtsa in it.
Have to be a real character to whine to fed agency over a sunroof leak.
Problems have been address by forums like this. And lots of cheap fixes have come out of it.
People spend +$20k on car then complain about a problem with a $200 fix?
Get over yourself, its a car,
If you can't handle that, then ride the bus

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My apologies I should of worded my post differently It was only my intention for inform members on how to report these issues. I never intended for anyone to make up fictitious reports. I still stand by the fact that a car with 30K should not be having major issues with the front suspension.
If you search the NHTSA site they are several complains about the issues I mentioned and there is nothing wrong with reporting these which beyond what is expected of normal vehicle maintenance .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts