Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
K&N's own site says that the CAI only increases HP about 7.8 horses.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/hp_search.aspx

While I like the throaty sound you get with increased airflow, not sure 7.8 horses and 1-3mpg is worth doing the mod? Not sure though - obviously it's a personal preference. I rigged up a CAI with a kit from AutoZone right after I got my Riot. Cost like $30, took about 30 minutes. Did it all 100% correctly, and my city MPG sank from 20 to 13. Plus my wife complained about how much louder the engine was and asked if I broke our new Jeep haha. Obviously I took it right back off and went back to stock. A couple friends on here have mentioned drilling a hole or few in the factory assembly to increase air volume. Might be a good alternative for some? Personally, I'm just doing a K&N filter - one time expense of $40, lifelong warranty, clean it every 50K - 100K miles...sounds good to me even if there are little/no performance increases! But...a few friends on here have said slight increase in mpg w/this filter, so it'd be good if that is the case.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Nice write up & pics -----But as CAI 's do absoloutly nothing --its all a bit of an excersise futility!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice write up & pics -----But as CAI 's do absoloutly nothing --its all a bit of an excersise futility!!!
CAI's are actually good. I have one on my Rubicon.
The example here is not a CAI and I have yet to see a CAI for sale for a Patriot or just about any other vehicle. Lots of folks like K&N sell what they call a CAI. I have no idea what they mean but CAI to me means Cold Air Intake. What you see here and from K&N is not a cold air intake. They could be called WAI for warm air intake or even HAI for hot air intake. but not a cold air intake. Perhaps to get past the lawyers they can say it's a cold air intake when you start up in the morning. But that engine bay warms up pretty quick. The only way you can call it a CAI is if you are actually pulling in cooler outside air. Even if it's 115 outside it will be cooler than under the hood.

·
Judge Dredd
520 Posts
There are issues about oil contamination of the MAF from K&N filters and similar types, at best you have to clean your MAF at worst replace it.....costly!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
you do realize that the intake takes air from the crankcase why there's a hose from there, a breather is doing nothing and the hose should be hooked up to the intake system. Its usually were the pcv valve is and its not going to let air in breather on or not. Its designed so when the engine is sucking air the pcv opens releasing into the intake and getting burned off, and at idle/off, its closed. Common mistake for people making intakes there own intakes.
I know it's been a year since this guys post, but I just read it and couldnt resist a reply.
Crzycat states that the intake hose for the PCV is hooked to the CRANKCASE, so if you don't hook it up to the BREATHER it wont get airflow.
Crzycat seems to have forgotten that there are 4 large pistons above the crankcase cycling at a high rate and displacing just as much air BELOW them as above them. It doesnt flow as much air as the air filter because as one goes up, another goes down. The problem with putting one of those little breather filters on there is if it gets dirty, wet, or (shudder) falls off, the contamination goes directly (via the PCV valve) into the oil pan. Water and dirt are universally accepted as "bad things" in your oil. THATS why the factory routes it to the clean side of the intake system. Not for the vacumn in the intake tract. The PCV is designed to let air flow mostly out, not in, but it's the force of the air from the rotating mass that unseats the valve, not the differential pressure from air flowing past the end of the hose. Burning off blow-by from the piston rings is a side benefit for the engineers and keeps the EPA happy. I believe they call that an "elegant" solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cheap ones will always rust or they have the paper filter material. For about forty bucks more you can get one I the k and n elements and it lasts forever or they will warranty it

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
Couple thoughts on this thread:

An even cheaper mod (Free) that would be almost as effective would be just to keep your stock panel filter and then just skeletonize the bottom side of the airbox. I've done this on cars in the past that I didn't feel like buying a intake for with good results.

For those with concerns about the oil from a K&N filter ruining your sensors, it isn't an issue. If you're really worried about it you can buy MAF sensor cleaner for a few bucks from most parts stores. I clean off the MAF sensor on my GTO everytime I have my intake tract apart just to keep fueling consistant at high RPMs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this is old but I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents. PCV, Positive pressure, when there is pressure in the crankcase it pushes up on the "flapper valve" on the inside and routes the gasses to be burned in the engine. This is done for emissions reasons only, It can very easily be routed to vent to the atmosphere with out problem. On the oiling of the k&n, they can ruin sensors, but it is usually because people over oil them when they put them back in. That's all I got, thanks for listening.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts