Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Patriot 4x4 that I towed on a dolly. It is now in for repairs (waiting to hear what was damaged). It has a loud clunk or binding when making a tight turn that goes away if you pull the #2 fuse for the ECC. It als makes a whirring noise that it didn’t make before. I am wondering about the ECC. Would it be towable on a dolly with the ECC disabled? (Fuse pulled)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instinct says no as well but I am wondering if the ECC is the only way power is sent to the rear wheels whether in 4x4 or AWD and if so would the motion of the rear wheels turning while being towed be transferred through the ECC if it was disabled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it’s worth my mechanic is telling the it’s the differential. Replacement being made.

Lesson learned on towing. In the process of of buying a Wrangler to flat tow behind my RV.

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
sorry I'm late to the party, but throw it up on jack stands and try different combinations of vehicle on vs off, park vs Neutral, etc while rotating the rear wheels. If there's no drag or anything you're probably good. My only concern would be if there's a small amount of preload in the clutch even while not powered or something. Also you could try removing the prop shaft but that's an aweful lot of work for flat towing, unless you don't mind leaving it out most of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts