Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long have you owned your Patriot, and how would you sum up your ownership experience?

Here are my thoughts...

2012 Limited 4X4
2.4L, 5 Speed Manual
Owned 8 Years
127,000 km (79,000 miles)

Great little SUV. Affordable, fuel efficient, manual gearbox and 4WD is great in the snow. Other than transmission issues just routine maintenance (oil/filter, brakes, tires, spark plugs), one rear passenger control arm and front passenger CV boot.

Overall, super useful little econo box with tons of utility.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I love my Pat, but I might be a little biased because most of my previous cars have been pieces of crap, lol. Mine is a 2014 Sport FD2, 2.4L CVT with around 69000 miles. I'm running Falken Wildpeak AT/3 tires, and it's awesome in the snow and dirt. The only real repairs I've done were the front right control arm and tie rod end.

Even though mine's only a Sport model, it's got all the bells and whistles, except the heated seats. I've also gone and added a few features to it, like a trailer hitch, full LED lighting, LED light bar, Android head unit, and other bits.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great little SUV.

·
Registered
185 Posts
2011 Sport 4x4 with Power Locks, Windows and A/C
2.4L, CVT
owned for 2 years
70,000 miles

I love the exterior appearance of the Patriot, to me it looks like older Jeep models. The CRV and Rav 4 are very "feminine" looking. I'm also 6'-4" tall so finding a vehicle that fits my long legs is a challenge. The patriot has a tall seat so the distance between the peddles and seat is more ergonomical for a tall person.

I also like the 4x4 system on the patriot it works great in the snow. I would say best in class.

The Gema engine is a good reliable power plant, but the Jatco CVT is the weak point. Chrysler should have know this and increased the maintenance intervals to help improve the CVT reliability. I do like the functionality of the CVT, it works great in heavy traffic and at high speeds.

Overall I'm happy with my Patriot. There are plenty of cool mods available. And the average DYI repair man can fix most of the common problems (with help from jeeppatriot.com).

·
Registered
632 Posts
2012 fwd sport
107,000 miles , bought it in 2015 with 48,000
Pleasant look, great price, good fuel economy
haven't had no real issues other than typical maintenance

Reactions: Sandstone

·
8,181 Posts
I've been a car owner since 1971 and I've had a lot of cars -- 28 counting the ones we own presently, 31 if I count a couple project cars that never really got where I wanted them. Two of my last four have been Patriots and we still have one in our driveway.
  • My Patriots' driving style reminds me of my first car, my 1960 Ford Falcon, in the best sense, and even better.
  • Both are small enough to be manageable and big enough to provide pleasant road comfort.
  • The Patriot and Falcon engine sizes are identical and so is the fuel economy, but improved technology means my Patriots get about twice the power from the same amount of fuel. Still the power is modest enough that acceleration in traffic requires some attention and planning.
  • My Falcon and my Patriot both had more personality than any other vehicles I've owned.
  • Like my Ford, my Patriots think they are Jeeps. My FWD Patriots have proven it; the Falcon came up short a few times. A FWD Patriot with good tires is quite capable in snow or light off-roading, but no, its not a Wrangler.
  • Typical owner maintenance is easy, though technology means the Patriot is more complicated. The "ECM" in my Falcon was nothing more than a distributor cap.
I think I gave my Patriot better care than my old Ford could imagine which explains why my '08 Patriot doubled the Falcon's longevity: I rescued my Ford from becoming a pile of rust behind my Uncle's house while my Patriot received regular maintenance from the get-go. Our 2014 Patriot has about the same miles as my old Ford did, and it should be good for as many more. I virtually rebuilt the Ford after its rescue, the Patriot has only had one repair (LF wheel bearing) in as many miles.

We liked my '08 Patriot so much we bought the 2014 Patriot that my Wife primarily drives now..

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I've owned my 2014 Pat for almost 6 years now, with 80,000 miles. It's been great. I've only done oil changes, spark plug changes, and the other maintenance called out in the manual. I changed all the brake pads at 50k. My first set of tires lasted no quite 30k, so my current tires have 50k plus on them and should be good for another year (another 13k or so).
My only big beef is the crappy support in the driver seat, which I solved with a cushion from Amazon, and the driver side arm rest that wore out and cracked last year. I got another from a salvage yard on eBay.
The Patriot has been very reliable. No leaks (sunroof included), no bad manners. Great in snow but I wish those Wrangler TA's were available because the more civilized tires I have had lack the bite.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2016 Sport FDII w/ 2.4L
Had it for 3.5 years (purchased new July 2016)
31,000 miles

It has done everything I have asked of it. The only major issue i've had with it was when the security system computer failed the first year I had it. Other than that it has been fairly painless. It is very competent off-road, while still comfortable to daily drive and road trip in on-road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2017 4x4 FD-II, purchased new in July 2017, already put 52,000 miles on it. Changed the transmission fluid at 48k and got new all-terrain tires at 50k.

My Patriot is probably one of the last of its kind. The dealership had to search for one, and when they asked me why I needed the Trail Rated FD-II, I said it was because I wanted an economical daily driver that also could handle off-road the 4-6 times per year I go on extended hunting trips. The Patriot has accomplished that.

I live in a big city, so I appreciate its compact size, but as has been said above it has plenty of interior space for me (6 feet even) and my gear. I also appreciate the styling, reminiscent of the Cherokees from the mid-1990s. I don’t want to drive something that looks like a jellybean.

I love my Patriot. I wish I got better mileage (typically around 20 in the city) but I wasn’t complaining when it took me places in Big Bend and elsewhere in the west Texas desert I wouldn’t have been able to go otherwise. My favorite thing is seeing people In their Land Rovers, Hummers, G550s etc. and knowing they paid 3-5x what I paid for my Patriot, and yet they haven’t had the adventures I have.

·
Registered
166 Posts
2017 4x4 FD-II, purchased new in July 2017, already put 52,000 miles on it. Changed the transmission fluid at 48k and got new all-terrain tires at 50k.

My Patriot is probably one of the last of its kind. The dealership had to search for one, and when they asked me why I needed the Trail Rated FD-II, I said it was because I wanted an economical daily driver that also could handle off-road the 4-6 times per year I go on extended hunting trips. The Patriot has accomplished that.

I live in a big city, so I appreciate its compact size, but as has been said above it has plenty of interior space for me (6 feet even) and my gear. I also appreciate the styling, reminiscent of the Cherokees from the mid-1990s. I don’t want to drive something that looks like a jellybean.

I love my Patriot. I wish I got better mileage (typically around 20 in the city) but I wasn’t complaining when it took me places in Big Bend and elsewhere in the west Texas desert I wouldn’t have been able to go otherwise. My favorite thing is seeing people In their Land Rovers, Hummers, G550s etc. and knowing they paid 3-5x what I paid for my Patriot, and yet they haven’t had the adventures I have.

·
Registered
166 Posts
2014 FD1 Sport

Bought this FD1 new in August of 2014. Right rear wheel bearing replacement has been only repair outside of the normal maintenance routine. All 100k maintenance services have been completed. 2nd set of Yokohama 225/65/17 GO15'S provide excellent on/off road service. With the 4wd lock engaged and held in 1st gear, this little Jeep has gone thru some pretty rough terrain, both snow and mud. On the road it averages between 25 and 27 mpg's and an occasional 30 mpg tank has been had. I'm hoping for another 5 years!

Reactions: mr_et2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! Proud owner of a 2007 2.0 CRD Sport, 4x4. Had it for one year. Bought it at 80k miles, and now has 120k. When i moved to the country side first issue was turbocharger blown due to the oil pump allen key shaft....thingy. changed it with a quallity hex key, not OEM and is still going strong. Was able to keep up with a Lada Niva in the mountains out camping and works great in the snow. Had a abs sensor issue due to the metal ring that holds it in place. It rusted and snapped while driving in tall grass. Fixed on the side of the road with jb weld. I get about 6l/100km on highway and 7-8l/100km in the city. Overland driving with 4x4 on gets to around 9l/100km. I love this car and i would not change it for any other. Future prospects...probably ecu remap. I was promised around 170hp and 410Nm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts