Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,635 Posts
My old Carolla had Dim Dip instead of sides --but the mandatory use law was never passed so manufacturers dropped them. Oh yea & the 16 seater Transit school bus I used to drive allso had them. In 2012 I believe DRL's will be Law in all EU countries , so us Brits are just going to have to get used to it. However modern DRL run on 60% of HIGH Beam which is probably the most stupid system I have ever heard of. Whats the matter with Dip beam or ultra bright sides??? Can you Imagine some Spanish guy on the Costa Del Sol at midday on a bright summer Spanish day, driving around with DRL's on. We've managed all these years in Europe without them ( Apart from the Analy Retentive Swedes) so whats the big deal now---& I dont want to hear any Road Safety B/S... Blind people are not allowed to drive in the UK.I want PROOF Positive & not by some proffesor with a Micky Mouse Degree in Piano tuning or Pencil sharpening !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I'm with you on this one, Tip. I really do think that if you can't tell whether a vehicle is being driven or not without it having to have its lights on then there's no way you should be on the road. It's way, way more important than reading a licence plate at 25 yards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For those of us whose Patriots did not come with DRLs from the factory (such as my '09 Sport 4x4), any clue on how to ENABLE them? Is it just a matter or reprogramming the PCM or is there extra wiring to be spliced, etc.?

Chris

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Ditto. No daytime driving lights on mine either, and I like those. We have laws where you need to have your lights on if using the wipers, or in construction zones, etc, and it would be nice to not have to think about it.

I like the lights in my Tracker. It has the DDL, and also automatically turns the lights on when it's dark, and off when not needed, except the DDL are always on. Easy, no thinking, when you need lights they are on, and when you don;t need them they are off. And since you never actually turn then on at the switch, you never can forget and leave them on.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi all, if you ask the dealer real nice or pick up a scan tool that allows control module reprogramming, you can get that function turned off. My 2007 originally came without the lights on when the brake is off, it was a recall that had Jeep reprogram that. Just a thought.
once they are on, they can't be disabled. its been tried by several people in canada with these stupid drls

Ditto. No daytime driving lights on mine either, and I like those. We have laws where you need to have your lights on if using the wipers, or in construction zones, etc, and it would be nice to not have to think about it.

I like the lights in my Tracker. It has the DDL, and also automatically turns the lights on when it's dark, and off when not needed, except the DDL are always on. Easy, no thinking, when you need lights they are on, and when you don;t need them they are off. And since you never actually turn then on at the switch, you never can forget and leave them on.
the patriot (and everyother chrysler vehicle for a long time) has a battery protection feature, that will turn off anything that has been left on after a period of time (5 minutes i think)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Somewhere in the Patriot there is the DRL module, and you can just disconnect it without harm, and your headlights will work like a normal headlight, with the on/off switch. On my Subaru Forester I had it disconnected for the same reason, to dim the lights when I drove through the gate at the base. My Patriot thankfully has no DRL, I find them annoying for driving during the day.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Somewhere in the Patriot there is the DRL module, and you can just disconnect it without harm, and your headlights will work like a normal headlight, with the on/off switch. On my Subaru Forester I had it disconnected for the same reason, to dim the lights when I drove through the gate at the base. My Patriot thankfully has no DRL, I find them annoying for driving during the day.
its all controlled by the computer, unfortunately there is no simple pulling of the fuse or module any more

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Although you would be on your own from a warranty perspective, this solution would work quite well. I would do this before I would try driving around with your Parking Brake engaged (even if you only use the first notch).

I think you're onto something. Find the wires to the e brake lever, cut them, and install a toggle. I'm thinking maybe next week trying this.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts