Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I at times have to go onto a military base after dark and they really dislike bright headlights blinding them. From other posts I have seen that pulling up just a little on the parking brake turns them off and I have confirmed it does work.

My question: If I engage the parking brake just in the first notch and drive say 100 yards with it like this, will it hurt anything?

Is there a different way to turn them off for this short time period? I like them on during the day just dont want them on at night while going thru the gate.

Thank you all for your help.
Ryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking, if the day time running lights go off when the emegency brake light on the dash comes on, then a toggle switch should be able to control the day time lights...right? Turn the toggle on and the lights think the emergency brake has been applied when they really havnt been. Any ideas...

Kind of thinking out loud...sorry

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
just because you haven't reached the first notch, doesn't mean that you aren't applying breaking. the notches are solely to maintain the pressure at each step of the pull. hence...if you push the button in while pulling up you are still applying breaking but it won't make the engagement clicks.

i know with my honda civic, there is a certain point before any breaking power is applied, that the "emergency brake" light comes on in my dashboard. it's just an electronic switch that engages and at least on my honda civic it's before anything is applied. i can't speak for the jeep patriot though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All right guys, I did it today. I removed the center console by removing 2 screws inside arm rest and pull out (remove wire connector). One wire goes to the parking brake switch. Splice into this wire and connect to + on toggle switch. Connect ground wire on switch to any ground on vehicle ( I used the mounting bolt for the brake lever). Connect load terminal on toggle switch to mounting bolt for the e brake switch. Mount toggle switch on console below the 120 outlet and put back together.
Works great. Brake light on dash obviously flashes when I have the switch turned on so the running lamps don't come on. This fools the car into thinking the brake is engaged. No more blinding my neighbors when I leave for work in the morning at 4!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this might be a stupid question but how did you get the front of the console to come loose? The 2 screws inside the arm rest freed up the back part but I couldnt get the front of it to loosen up.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Im a little confused, why not just use the middle marker lights in between headlights off and headlights on on the turn signal lever? this turns on the corner lights right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, if you ask the dealer real nice or pick up a scan tool that allows control module reprogramming, you can get that function turned off. My 2007 originally came without the lights on when the brake is off, it was a recall that had Jeep reprogram that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My issue is that I wanted DRL normally, but the ability to turn them off when desired. I do like the extra visibility that DRL's give other drivers so some dumb ass doesn't pull out in front of me, but for covert operations I like them off. My description above worked great. When I was a kid I put a switch on my brake lights so I could turn them off. I don't know why I do these things....

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is a stupid question but I can not find the answer anywhere. What is the size of these two screws in the center console. I lost one when I was installing the navigation console under my drivers seat. THese two screws are different from the other ones used in the trim around the dash. Flat head console screw doesnt seem to bring up much in any search I have tried but I know if I ever loose one of the other ones, the ones I ended up with two extra of somehow,they are 7mm

Again looking for a part number or just specs on the screw inside the center covered console

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I'm sure you're right Big Al. What I can't see is this: if you live in a country or state where it's the law to have running lights on when you're moving, then surely the military will just have to button up and live with that; after all, it's the law. I wouldn't go chopping my car around for that reason, I'd direct them to the officer in charge of transport.

Rocal

PS; land Rovers used to have a great thing called "safari burn". This involved the parking lights glowing at a higher intensity than normal but nowhere near as bright as dipped beam headlights. They don't have that anymore, but this seems like just the situation to re-introduce it. I suppose all military LandRovers still have that. it would be ideal for vehicles moving at night in convoy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.