Jeep Patriot Forums banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
compass 2.4 really loud whine/ grinding noise

So the wife's 2007 compass 2.4 FWD has a loud whine/ grinding sound under load. Its never gone in to limp mode or had the trans temperature light come on.I did pull a P0700 code on it last week. After researching and reading this thread I'm convinced the CVT is about to crap out on me. I'm just hoping to fix it for enough time to save for her new car. I just dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid. I know there is a secondary filter underneath the battery so I bought the Pro-King Automatic Transmission Filter Kit Part #FK-403. Its the cylindrical one. I know a couple of members have changed them. Does anyone know if radiator fluid will leak when i change it? Its my understanding that the radiator circulates through this cooler somehow. Also is there a possibility of the radiator fluid leaking in to the CVT if I do change the cylindrical filter? Is it better just to leave it alone? The link below on page 56 says to also change the O-ring on the cooler. Does anyone have a part number for that O-ring? I cant find it anywhere. the compass has 150K and I'm pretty certain its never had the CVT fluid flushed. realized i cant post URLs

·
Administrator
7,040 Posts
So the wife's 2007 compass 2.4 FWD has a loud whine/ grinding sound under load. Its never gone in to limp mode or had the trans temperature light come on.I did pull a P0700 code on it last week. After researching and reading this thread I'm convinced the CVT is about to crap out on me. I'm just hoping to fix it for enough time to save for her new car. I just dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid. I know there is a secondary filter underneath the battery so I bought the Pro-King Automatic Transmission Filter Kit Part #FK-403. Its the cylindrical one. I know a couple of members have changed them. Does anyone know if radiator fluid will leak when i change it? Its my understanding that the radiator circulates through this cooler somehow. Also is there a possibility of the radiator fluid leaking in to the CVT if I do change the cylindrical filter? Is it better just to leave it alone? The link below on page 56 says to also change the O-ring on the cooler. Does anyone have a part number for that O-ring? I cant find it anywhere. the compass has 150K and I'm pretty certain its never had the CVT fluid flushed. realized i cant post URLs
The coolant shouldn't leak when you take the cooler/ exchanger off, it's a closed loop. I was able to get the filter out without disconnecting the coolant lines from the cooler.

I just reused the old o-ring. It probably should have been replaced, but hasn't given me any problems yet..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice Sandstone. You were right; I was able to do it without disconnecting any lines. The only thing was that the old 0-ring for the filter didn't come out with the old filter when i took it out. I had to use a hook pick and a small mirror to see inside to be able to take it out. Any ways I took it out for about a 10 mile test drive and it still makes the noise. I thought changing the fluid and both filters would lessen the noise even just a little, but its still just as loud. I'm feeling a vibration in the steering wheel along with the noise. I'm going to check the wheel bearings next.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Might be worth checking the AC unit too. Plenty of folks have gotten 3+ replacement CVT's and threw out the technology altogether for want of a faulty AC system that was making a similar noise to what a failing CVT may or may not make(mine didn't...just slipped alot). And if your AC system was failing a couple times, I don't think anybody would call AC technology "junk", haha. Just needs maintenance like anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Sandstone, I am a newbie to this site and have read this entire thread and noticed you are very experienced in this CVT overheating situation. I am also in Denver and I was wondering if you would be interested in working on my 08 Patriot or could recommend someone who is trustworthy to do it right. Ican give you my phone number if you are interested. Thanks for your time and consideration, Matt

·
Registered
37 Posts
So here is the last thing I did to my Pat. I replaced the valve body in the transmission. Found one on Ebay that was supposed to be refurbished. Overheating ist mostly gone. I still do have the extra cooling system. I turn it on when the cvt temp get close to 85.but that happens not too often anymore.
For people wit overheat issues search for CVTz50 app in the google play store. Not sure if it available for iPhone as well. It shows temperature and some other useful things for your tranny. It's designed for Nissan's but it talks to the cvt in the Pat as well. At least with this app you can see the cvt temp befor it's too late.

Pat is still going, about two years ago I was ready to scrap it.
320tkm on it.
I'll start to chang the cvt fluid every 30 to 50 tkm .

I think in the end it was a valve in the valve body that did not allow for proper cooling. This refurbished valve body fixed that but it makes some screaking noise when the transmission is warm (74deg. C) and I take the foot of the accelerator and put it back on. But that's cool, every day I can drive the Pat I don't have to buy a new car.

We'll see how many miles I can get out of the Pat till death does us apart..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please post more info about this change out..... part location, DC Voltage test, Ohm meter test, time for exchange, ways to use an air compressor to clear the lines, etc.

Also, is there a potential for this part to be completely eliminated?

As others have said..."Thanks!!"

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,045 Posts
Please post more info about this change out..... part location, DC Voltage test, Ohm meter test, time for exchange, ways to use an air compressor to clear the lines, etc.

Also, is there a potential for this part to be completely eliminated?

As others have said..."Thanks!!"
Hey Rhyno, Welcome! Please drop by the newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others, tell us about your Patriot, etc. Nice bunch on here -- glad you found us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2010 Jeep Patriot awd and nothing but problems with my trans. Sometimes my car will run fine and other times I can't do over 20mph without having 5000 rpms. My Trans overheats, then it whines, and most of the time I can't go over 20, sometimes I can do 40 and other times it runs 100% fine. Idk what to do and I've already had almost more repairs then the cat is worth. All trying to fix this issue. I've only got 119,000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
7,040 Posts
I just got a 2010 Jeep Patriot awd and nothing but problems with my trans. Sometimes my car will run fine and other times I can't do over 20mph without having 5000 rpms. My Trans overheats, then it whines, and most of the time I can't go over 20, sometimes I can do 40 and other times it runs 100% fine. Idk what to do and I've already had almost more repairs then the cat is worth. All trying to fix this issue. I've only got 119,000 miles on it.
Welcome to the forum.

You didn't mention what work you've had done, so I'll start by saying that if you haven't had the transmission fluid and BOTH filters changed, that's the place to start.

The manuals states 120k, but it's far too long.

I recommend changing the factory fill @30k to clean out the small metal bits from break-in, then 30-50k mile changes thereafter depending on driving conditions.

Temp extremes, towing and mountain driving means shorter change intervals.

Dealers will charge somewhere around $350 up for a drain and fill (all that's needed).

Some may want to use a machine to do a flush which isn't necessary and they will likely charge more to pay for the cost of the equipment.

Independent shops may charge less, just make sure they're competent with servicing CVT's.

If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself, several of us have and not all are professional mechanics.

Here's a couple of resources that will give you a good idea of what's involved:

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,045 Posts
Welcome Heather! Sorry your Patriot is giving you trouble. Sandstone gives good advice. Unfortunately most people follow the recommendations in the owners manual which, as he says, is far too long. Hopefully a thorough transmission service will solve your problem.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts